Talk

Advanced search

To ask if it's possible to pay for an MRI privately at one of the big children's hospitals?

(7 Posts)
Lookingthroughthewindow Fri 08-Mar-19 20:41:22

We have a consultant referral on the NHS and the MRI is essential and needs to be done quickly.

But, for a specific reason relating to the sedation that would be needed and the speed of the scanner used, I'd really like to know if it's possible to access the equipment at one of the children's hospitals privately. I wouldn't have thought so but a consultant we saw operates at GOSH on a private basis hence wondering but we are really looking at Alder Hay and Birmingham.

I hope this isn't an offensive question. We don't have insurance and the cost would be huge to us but I didn't think it would hurt to ask if anybody knows; I can't find any info on google

Yumyumbananas Fri 08-Mar-19 20:44:00

Possibly: www.gosh.com.kw/

Yumyumbananas Fri 08-Mar-19 20:44:57

Oh sorry - I see you mean the other hospitals.

Jon65 Fri 08-Mar-19 20:45:39

Yes, but it needs to be done through a consultant for which you will also have to pay. Consultant would be around 200, mri upwards of around 750 (for an adult no drugs needed).

beeyourself Fri 08-Mar-19 20:48:21

I've had a private MRI as an adult, referred direct from GP, cost around £300. BUT I don't know about differences for children. Have you tried phoning the private hospitals (Spire etc) to ask them?

libellule1 Fri 08-Mar-19 20:49:22

Yes I'm sure its possible, either as a privately paying patient in the NHS hospitals or at a dedicated (large) private hospital. The sedation and age of your child might limit where will be able to perform the scan so you might need to travel. You'll need to get the consultant to send a referral if you can find a private hospital.

I doubt the 'speed of the scanner' is an issue, they are mostly very similar (either 1.5T or 3T) and the scans are similarly long.

Booboostwo Fri 08-Mar-19 21:17:17

Just an aside, have you seen the new doughnut rather than tube shaped MRI machines? They are a lot less scary than the tube version. My DD managed to do a head scan in one of the doughnut one for 45 minutes at 5yo with no sedation.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »