Talk

Advanced search

To be seriously considering buying this house?

(8 Posts)
Auramigraine Fri 08-Mar-19 20:18:32

Evening all

So me and partner been house hunting for a few years now(!) we want to stay in the area for DCs school etc and have found it hard to get a property that is in budget and also is what we like.

Found a property few weeks ago, literally five min walk from our DC school, little bit over our budget, on the market for £130k we have a deposit. We rang to view the property and was told that the seller rents it out at the minute and the tenant only allows access on a Monday so we booked to view it, the tenant cancelled our viewing a few times as much as a few hours beforehand, we finally got to view the property this Monday just gone and I do like it there’s a few things that are nagging away at me.....

It is quite a new house, built I would guess about 7/8 years ago (I have lived here all my life and remember them knocking all the houses down from the street and building these) there has been a leak in the bathroom through to the kitchen ceiling, they say it has been fixed, you can see on the kitchen ceiling where it has leaked...... there is another property down the road which is for sale at a cheaper price and it was has a same leak in same place but there’s actually destroyed the kitchen ceiling and the bathroom is very damaged, so obviously a common problem with these houses maybe.... when another couple were viewing the house and I was downstairs I could hear every single footstep so loud, I don’t know if that means the floorboards are not great or what....

The tenant was at the viewing and does not want to leave the property at all. He was very abrupt and I couldn’t look in a storage room as he had piled some belongings against the door and sat in front of them. I feel this is gonna be trouble when/if the house actually sells. The estate agent has rang me twice now asking for feedback and if I want a second viewing, the house has been for sale since November and has been reduced in January, I told them I would think about it but that I wasn’t prepared to offer the asking price and if seller was not open to offers it was best to leave it, they said offers would be fine.

Would you be wary? I normally would walk away but it’s perfect for us in every other way, location, style, lovely garden for kids. WWYD?

JupiterBelle Fri 08-Mar-19 20:29:21

Have a second viewing, if you like it get a survey and expect them to investigate the leak and the repairs. If that comes back ok then go for it.
Tough for the tenant- it’s not his house so he’ll have to move when it sells.

BooseysMom Fri 08-Mar-19 20:32:37

@Auramigraine..having been a tenant for 20 years until the last 18 months, I know how he feels. He'll most likely be pissed off as he has to move..or he might just be glad to be moving! I would see if there's a way you can get to talk to him. He may be able to give an honest opinion of the house. Ask him to move the stuff so you can see the storage. If you decide to go for it, def get a survey done. Good luck x

namechanger2019 Fri 08-Mar-19 20:33:36

When we put on offer in for our current house it had tenants in and it was a nightmare. They were given notice but didn't move and it took months and months. We refused to exchange until the house was vacant and it was a very stressful time.

Ikanon Fri 08-Mar-19 20:40:09

Only exchange with vacant possession and you'll be fine.

Horsemenoftheaclopalypse Fri 08-Mar-19 21:26:15

Only exchange with vacant possession and you'll be fine.

This.
Also take a proper builder inwhen you do the second viewing and get a full survey...

HarrysOwl Fri 08-Mar-19 21:32:27

View it again. If you proceed, I echo the others; exchange/complete on vacant possession only. And view it after exchange but before completion to ensure for yourself it has been vacated!

Ikanon Fri 08-Mar-19 21:49:32

Oh yes definitely view between exchange and completion.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: