Talk

Advanced search

Not to make my kids put on 'home clothes' after school?

(77 Posts)
youngfarmer Fri 08-Mar-19 20:07:13

I have 3 girls; when they were at primary school there was never any point really because by the time I'd picked them up from childminder/friends house on the way home from work it was pretty much time for dinner and then bath/bedtime, no point in dirtying more clothes.
I guess that these habits have stayed with them though even now the eldest 2 are at high school. They stay in uniform if they're staying in, or maybe just put a hoody on over their shirt&tie if they're going out with friends.
Only occurred to me because I was just watching something on TV where the kids had got in from school and rushed to change, then looked around at my 3 lolling around in their school uniforms still. Anyone else's teens do this or am I just a very bad mother? blush

SlangBack Fri 08-Mar-19 22:14:00

Story searching

cherrryontop Fri 08-Mar-19 22:16:39

Pjs are for sleeping, no way I would allow her to wear it for hours in the house. I also hate the look in general.

Pjs are the best!! Once we are in for the rest of the day we all change to pjs. So comfy!

Boyskeepswinging Fri 08-Mar-19 22:20:35

Place your bets, folks. This Morning or Loose Women tomorrow?

Chocmallows Fri 08-Mar-19 22:24:03

My 12yr old likes comfy clothes, 9yr old likes PJs. I encouraged them to change in foundation year as usually food and sticky marks all over them and years later they still choose to change.

Boyskeepswinging Fri 08-Mar-19 22:24:55

Ah, shit ... It's been a looooong week and it's Friday isn't it? Mind you, there's always This Morning on Sunday I suppose ...

snitzelvoncrumb Fri 08-Mar-19 22:25:14

My kids would love to stay in their uniforms, but I make them change.

SofaSurfer20 Fri 08-Mar-19 22:36:01

I let her chose (6yo) unless we are going out or someone is coming over. Even then she usually wants to get in PJ's when she gets in.

Im the same. Get in from work and grt changed to comfies 🤷‍♀️

Murphypoint Fri 08-Mar-19 22:39:12

Uniform to pjs, trackies or onesies here.

Notso Fri 08-Mar-19 23:01:08

Mine get changed. Washing hands and changing has been the routine since they started half days at nursery so it's second nature now, even DD in college so own clothes still does it.
I have an aversion to school uniform so prefer to see my kids in their own clothes.
My parents both attended schools that would punish pupils for being seen in uniform after school. My Dad was caught buying chips in his uniform so had to wear his hat and blazer all the next day even for swimming, and my Mum was spotted in her uniform at the post office and had to stand on a bin all breaktime the following day.

HateIsNotGood Fri 08-Mar-19 23:39:39

Well, if it's only a matter of you judging yourself then you're being a silly mare. Trust me, someone, somewhere will be judging you for something that you don't even know about.

Maybe you have a squeaky front gate; all your kids have half their heads shaved....or....or?

If it works, ain't broke or you can oil the squeak, you're doing really well.

PickAChew Fri 08-Mar-19 23:42:26

Unless their uniform is super expensive, there's no point.

SweetMarmalade Fri 08-Mar-19 23:43:39

Ds normally strips off completely for an hour long poo hmm then puts his onsie on (if he’s got nothing else planned).

I’m sure now the lighter nights are with us this will change but he will still get changed out of his uniform.

BackforGood Fri 08-Mar-19 23:47:53

SlangBack What is your problem ?? hmm

Lots of questions get asked on here regularly. they are the sorts of things people want to ask and not everybody has been reading every thread on here for the last 3 years. If you are fed up of the question, then why not just ignore the thread ? confused

Mine never got changed after school - I would have to wash their uniform anyway, so why would I give them another set of new clothes which would end up needing washing.
As they got older, they would change obviously if going to cubs or something, but other than that, no.

Hotterthanahotthing Fri 08-Mar-19 23:54:06

I always had my dd.change.If it was Cleanthes it didn't get covered in dog hair and if dirty I could spot clean or put it In the wash.It is habit now so she always changes.
PJ's are for bed or lounging in at breakfast.

flirtygirl Fri 08-Mar-19 23:54:47

We have house clothes, these include pj's or just older jeans or Lounge wear.

I would make them change but they both do when they come in from college or clubs automatically. No school as home ed but I would 100% as school uniform has a smell of school. My niece and nephew you can smell it, it's not a dirty smell, just well institutional.

My mum had the rule no outside clothes sat on a bed. I sometimes find myself doing thatconfused

SweetMarmalade Fri 08-Mar-19 23:57:26

And I always ask Ds to change, if his school trousers are clean enough to go another day he’s not going to lounge around or go out in them, sod that! He can change into his home clothes.

Believability Sat 09-Mar-19 00:07:04

Never occurred to me to get them to change however

My 13yo ds's favourite after school get up is school shirt and jersey sports shorts - v stylish

I do have this and what’s that all about???

SmarmyMrMime Sat 09-Mar-19 00:09:43

DCs are in primary school with a polo/ sweatshirt type uniform, so perfectly comfortable and similar fit to their casual clothes. No point in making them take off worn clothes that need a wash by the end of the day (polos in particular) and getting other clothes dirty for the sake of it. No problem if they do change of their own accord. A few times a week, they end up in sports/ club kit anyway.

At secondary, my blazer lived screwed up in my bag to be worn as little as I could possibly get away with (nasty restrictive, useless garments) and my tie came off soon after getting in. Open collar shirt and skirt were fine though.

Hippee Sat 09-Mar-19 00:14:48

I have enough washing as it is without bringing more outfits into the mix. I already am fighting a losing battle with DS2 and DD to change out of their karate kits for tea after their club. I don't care if it's slobby - my kids don't want to get changed amd I am glad about it!

Mummyshark2019 Sat 09-Mar-19 00:30:24

I have five sets of uniform. My son gets changed out of his uniform as soon as he gets in. Washes hands and face and puts on comfy clothes which tend to be either PJ's or trackies and a sport top. The uniform is washed. He wears clean PJ's to bed after his bath in the evening.

burntdinner Sat 09-Mar-19 03:19:21

When My DP get in he showers and changes out of his work suit to shorts T-shirt and hoody for the evening , it helps him relax and as he's just sitting around usually he can use the same set of evening clothes for a couple of days running that way it doesn't add much to the washing

theyellowjumper Sat 09-Mar-19 11:38:32

I think my standards must be pretty low as mine have never had more than 2 sets of uniform, usually worn for 2-3 days including after school, and they only get clean PJs once a week smile

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Sat 09-Mar-19 11:46:22

Mine have always removed school trousers / skirt and tie but keep shirt on unless going elsewhere. Reason being that they had a clean shirt for every day but only two pairs of school trousers (DS) and two school skirts (DD) so they lasted a week (usually).

DH changes out of his suit when he comes home and I usually change out of my work clothes too as they aren’t great for lounging around in.

crimsonlake Sat 09-Mar-19 11:56:41

I always made mine get changed, apart from the obvious fact it keeps the uniform cleaner and fresher for the next day.

StoppinBy Sat 09-Mar-19 12:06:36

My DD6 is a grub, I swear she must fill her shoes with sand and roll around in a dirt hole every day lol, for that reason, no she doesn't get changed as the uniform will just be going in the wash anyway.

If by some miracle it is clean the yes I get her to take it off so she doesn't get it dirty playing outside in the yard before the next day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »