Talk

Advanced search

Not to make my kids put on 'home clothes' after school?

(77 Posts)
youngfarmer Fri 08-Mar-19 20:07:13

I have 3 girls; when they were at primary school there was never any point really because by the time I'd picked them up from childminder/friends house on the way home from work it was pretty much time for dinner and then bath/bedtime, no point in dirtying more clothes.
I guess that these habits have stayed with them though even now the eldest 2 are at high school. They stay in uniform if they're staying in, or maybe just put a hoody on over their shirt&tie if they're going out with friends.
Only occurred to me because I was just watching something on TV where the kids had got in from school and rushed to change, then looked around at my 3 lolling around in their school uniforms still. Anyone else's teens do this or am I just a very bad mother? blush

InDubiousBattle Fri 08-Mar-19 20:10:38

Surely by the time they're teens they just decide for themselves?

HomeMadeMadness Fri 08-Mar-19 20:10:44

Why should they if they don't want to? The only point if changing is to be more comfy or because they don't wNt to be seen out in uniform? If they're happy and have the option to change if they want to it's fine.

HomeMadeMadness Fri 08-Mar-19 20:12:01

My DC are primary by the way and I don't insist they change I don't see the point. Their uniform is comfy and they'll end up spilling their dinner over their clothes anyway so if they choose not to it saves on washing.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Fri 08-Mar-19 20:16:37

In my line of work (can be incredibly stressful/emotionally draining) we are advised and encouraged to change clothes after work, even though it's not a suit and tie kind of job and the clothes I wear to work are not uncomfortable. The theory being it helps you change mindset and let go of the stresses of the day, switch off and find new energy for your evenings. I shower and change when I get home often just into leggings and a top or jumper but it does work. I'd think it would be the same for school children too

mamaduckbone Fri 08-Mar-19 20:18:06

My 13yo ds's favourite after school get up is school shirt and jersey sports shorts - v stylish.

In our house you please yourself - we don't go in for 'you must do this.'
Likewise I might sometimes change out of my work clothes as soon as possible but might keep them on until bedtime,

BuildingBackUp Fri 08-Mar-19 20:19:08

I leave mine or tell them to change depending on the state of them.

If the uniform is clean enough for another wear they take it off as soon as they're in. More often than not though (unless they have a club or we're going somewhere where changing is necessary) they'll wear uniform until they change for bed.

Jengnr Fri 08-Mar-19 20:19:13

I go from work clothes to pjs and so do my kids.

Mummyjsa Fri 08-Mar-19 20:23:56

Pyjamas for mine when they get home from school.

sanityisamyth Fri 08-Mar-19 20:25:43

My 5 year old DS strips off practically before the front door is closed and runs around naked until I tell him for the fifth time to put his PJs on. He loves being naked 😳

DanglyBangly Fri 08-Mar-19 20:26:41

I leave it up to them and they mostly just stay in their uniforms.

thedisorganisedmum Fri 08-Mar-19 20:30:33

we all change when we come home.

My suits are too expensive to be ruined at home.. The kids clothes are not, but I prefer if they wear something they can ruin when playing so by the times they are older they don't even think about changing.

I don't really know any teen who likes to keep their uniform, they seem to want their own clothes as soon as they are out of the door.

elQuintoConyo Fri 08-Mar-19 20:31:48

DS doesn't wear a uniform, but changes when we get home because after school he is usually in the park rolling around on the floor hmm I don't want sand and tiny stones and all sorts of shit on the sofa/floor. So he strips off when he gets home, either to underwear or into pyjamas. It's usually about 6pm by then.

I get information work around 9.30pm and get straight into pyjamas. DH changes into more comfortable clothes at home.

None of it is enforced, just what we prefer. When I was a nipper I couldn't wait to get out of my uniform, primary or secondary. Especially secondary, we wore kilts sad

youngfarmer Fri 08-Mar-19 20:32:18

@danglybangly primary or secondary?

SlangBack Fri 08-Mar-19 20:36:54

Not again

mrsm43s Fri 08-Mar-19 20:41:10

I've never really given it any thought before. My two are secondary age. DS stays in his uniform. DD tends to change into slobbing out clothes- leggings and oversized hoody or similar. Or maybe her PJ's. Up to them, really. They have clean uniform available for the next day if they need it. A primary age I think they both stayed in uniform all evening.

MissCharleyP Fri 08-Mar-19 20:46:39

My dad used to hate it if me and brother were still in our uniforms when he got home (secondary, didn’t have uniform at primary). He hates any kind of formal wear and hated wearing suits and us having uniforms. I was never comfortable in mine anyway and was always a bit 😧 when I saw other people staying in after school. I wear a uniform for work now and always want to get changed into my clothes as soon as I’m home. TBH, if I’m popping into town or the shopping centre straight from work, I’d prefer to bring my own clothes and get changed...but I’m a bit of a lazy cow and CBA for the sake of having to wear it for an extra couple of hours.

Notcontent Fri 08-Mar-19 20:48:52

Different people have different routines. We have always had a “wash your hands, get changed” routine and my dd has stuck to it in secondary school.

DailyMailFail101 Fri 08-Mar-19 20:49:31

I make my reception child change clothes straight from school, I just think he needs to be in comfy clothes and I feel he can relax better and get out of ‘school’ mode. I think teens and older children can decide for themselves.

SlangBack Fri 08-Mar-19 20:50:43

biscuit

lotusbell Fri 08-Mar-19 20:52:02

DS is 12 and I've always encouraged him to change out of his uniform and fold it up suits fresh for the next day but he wears his uniform all week unless it's really dirty, but I alternate his shirts. He then either gets into pjs, which I hate at 4 in the afternoon, or trackies and a hoodie but he'll wear those every day after school seeing as it's only a few hours.

mejon Fri 08-Mar-19 20:56:42

SlangBack - it was my first thought too hmm

reluctantbrit Fri 08-Mar-19 20:58:55

It depends on the day. Blazer goes off as son as DD is home.

Monday she changes as she has drama classes and prefers something more comfortable. Tuesday not as she has scouts after dinner, no point to change twice. Wednesday she changes as she swims, Thursdays not, Friday she swaps it for dance uniform.

Pjs are for sleeping, no way I would allow her to wear it for hours in the house. I also hate the look in general.

pictish Fri 08-Mar-19 20:59:34

Mine change because I want two days out of the uniform if possible. If it’s already been slittered over, I put it on to wash.

AlbusSeverusMalfoy Fri 08-Mar-19 21:01:32

Unless we are going out or someome comes over, its uniform off pjs on. Im pretty much the same.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: