Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be irrated with people who dont feed their kids on days out?

(35 Posts)
StarryStarryNight Sun 08-Jul-07 20:04:50

There we were, me and DH, our kids, and the other couple and their kids setting out a 15 mile cycle ride in the country side together, and not only had they packed nothing to eat, had no drink bottles, and had not even had breakfast first! FGS 15 miles on NO food and drink in baking sun? (DH had told them we were packing just enough for us).

fuzzywuzzy Sun 08-Jul-07 20:06:55

so what happened did you end up feeding everyone???

bran Sun 08-Jul-07 20:07:29

So what happened? Did you stop off at a shop or did they eat yours?

StarryStarryNight Sun 08-Jul-07 20:08:46

No, because we had already told them in advance that we were bringing packed lunches for ourselves only due to not wanting to carry too much in our rucksacks.

It was a stress trying to find something to eat. But food not acceptable, so they did not buy enough, thinking they could find something else later.

StarryStarryNight Sun 08-Jul-07 20:10:50

And this meant we had to enjoy our lunches in our saddle as they would not sit and wait and NOT eat while we picnicked, and with stops at shops and food stalls (there werent many, it was taking awful long). I just found it a bit irritating.

bran Sun 08-Jul-07 20:14:24

It's still not really enough info to decide whether yabu or not. If you and your family still had a good day anyway then it's not really your business how hungry/thirsty/miserable the other family are. If, on the otherhand, they whinged all the time or you had to change you plans to accommodate their problem then yanbu.

To be fair I consider buying my lunch somewhere to be a part of the enjoyment of my day out, it's a pain in the neck if I have to make lunch for everyone beforehand and then carry it around. I would personally plan a cycle ride to take in a country pub lunch.

I wouldn't set off without breakfast or water though, that's just asking for trouble.

bran Sun 08-Jul-07 20:16:00

Sorry, crossed posts with your extra info. I would have had a proper picnic nearish to some shops and sent them off to sort themselves out and arrange to meet up again in an hour or so, rather than waiting outside shops for them.

hercules1 Sun 08-Jul-07 20:17:28

YANBU. THat would annoy me as the idea is surely to have the bike ride rather than hunting for food.

StarryStarryNight Sun 08-Jul-07 20:19:19

There werent any restaurants/pubs enroute, and they know because they have done this route many times.

There were foodstalls at the beginning, but the mum decided against buying more than one small roll for each.

And yes, it was a problem, the kids were complaining, mum was stressed, one were feeling so hungry and faint she was vomiting several times. They had not eaten breakfast before setting off, they had eaten nothing the whole day, and we set off at midday.

I think I will just not go cycling with them again. As you are right it is none of my business, not if I am not there.

MadamePlatypus Sun 08-Jul-07 20:19:41

Not providing water on a 15 mile cycle ride is a bit silly. I would only provide food if we were going to be on the road at lunchtime and had agreed to have a picnic rather than stop at a pub/cafe.

hercules1 Sun 08-Jul-07 20:20:00

I wouldnt go cycling with them again either.

elesbells Sun 08-Jul-07 20:23:45

i wouldnt go again tbh. yanbu at all. especially if they wouldnt wait whilst you ate and you waited for them to buy food. how can anyone even think of going on a cycle trip with kids and (at the very least) no water. bloody stupid if you ask me.

BBBee Sun 08-Jul-07 20:25:41

what odd behaviour!

bran Sun 08-Jul-07 20:26:34

YANBU, the more I hear the more annoying the family sound. I doesn't sound as though it was the happy day it should have been for either family. At least if you go again without them you can do what you like.

bookwormmum Sun 08-Jul-07 20:28:50

Not even taking water or making the kids eat breakfastbefore they go is asking for trouble.

I think I'd have just told them to go on whilst I ate my lunch as well - no way would I eat and cycle (Ok, I'm not a confident cyclist but leaving that aside for now). Can't think it would do much for your digestion either .

hotcrumpets Sun 08-Jul-07 20:34:12

YANBU, why would they do this?

who goes on a 15mile bike ride without any water fgs?

even if they weren't whinging etc you would still know they didn't have anything and be thinking/concerned about it

i wouldn't say don't go again, but perhaps mention that they might want to bring something with them this time!

I saw a similar situation today at the beach, huge queue at the beach kiosk for food/ice cream etc, little boy in front asking for some tap water, the lady behind the till got all stroppy with him and started asking why he needed tap water etc? because his mummy didn't bring anything and sent him to ask for some i felt really bad for him

WestCountryLass Sun 08-Jul-07 21:19:06

I've gone out with a few different friends for days out and they haven't brought any snacks or drinks etc for their kids. I thought it was jsut my strange friends! It is weird though. After a few hours the kids are obviously miserable and i'm not sure why they don't come prepared?

YANBU!

Cammelia Sun 08-Jul-07 21:23:58

Is it just me who includes what we are doing re food in our arrangements? Whenever I go out with friends and their dcs we always agree what we're doing, we'll all take food or all eat out etc - its part of the whole thing surely>

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 08-Jul-07 21:28:18

"one were feeling so hungry and faint she was vomiting several times. They had not eaten breakfast before setting off, they had eaten nothing the whole day, and we set off at midday"

I would have flipped!!!

Sounds v neglectful

Bloody morans

adorabelle Sun 08-Jul-07 21:45:41

How on earth can you go for a 15mile bike ride with kids and not take a bottle of water for each of them

I'll go out to the park for an hour or two
and take water for dd and myself. You need
to be drinking 8 glasses of water a day minimum for an adult. For a child I guess it's at least 4-6 (depending on their age)

Very irisponsible parents if you ask me

adorabelle Sun 08-Jul-07 22:17:14

bump

LittleBoot Sun 08-Jul-07 22:18:54

LOl

You know some stupid people, don't you?

StarryStarryNight Sun 08-Jul-07 22:25:27

Well, I guess they lack the sense of foresight....

Twinklemegan Sun 08-Jul-07 22:27:09

I reckon some people think it's BOOORING to have to meet basic human needs like eating, drinking and sleeping. So old-fashioned you know.

adorabelle Sun 08-Jul-07 22:42:55

Twinklemegan, LOL.

Surely it's just basic common sense to at
least take a bottle of water per person out on a bike ride?

Like you said maybe it's just a bit too old-fashioned to carry basic supplies, but i'd want to have a serious rethink about my days out with the kids if they were throwing up through sheer lack of foo/water

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now