Talk

Advanced search

To not understand the allegiance that some people have to sports clubs?

(202 Posts)
MuseumofInnocence Fri 08-Mar-19 16:03:51

I have some friends and family who are fans of certain sporting clubs (I'm referring to football mainly). I can sort of understand it for those who have some connection to the club (maybe they grew up near the club or their parents did), but I have friends who became fans of clubs hundreds of miles away when they were children, have been a handful of times to a game, but act as if they're the biggest fans ever.

Am I unreasonable, or is this weird?

BluebellsareBlue Wed 27-Mar-19 17:36:01

@icannotremember indeed they are. Ignore what ever @10IAR says 😂😂

Fazackerley Tue 19-Mar-19 18:39:52

Yup. I went to see my team play on Sunday. They were definitely actually there.

icannotremember Tue 19-Mar-19 17:51:30

Football isn't like religion. I have definite proof that Rangers exist (and are the most successful football team of all time grin football wine ).

InnerCircle Tue 19-Mar-19 17:08:44

It's like religion.

Stupid.

Lifecraft Tue 19-Mar-19 16:43:02

My Grandparents were Spurs fans and took me to a few games as a child.

There's a separate thread running for victims of historic child abuse.

Pinkginxx Tue 19-Mar-19 16:08:05

Even rugby feels different, support is just based around your country, which makes more sense to me, not around teams like it is in football

Tell that to the Welsh stars of the 6 nations who might not be having a club to go back to confused

Brefugee Wed 13-Mar-19 12:52:32

not RTFT yet but @SausageRoll it took me getting to the top of the next page before I got who you meant.
I bet he hasn't been to a match for either of those teams (don't Burnley wear the same colours?) since he left his job grin

10IAR Wed 13-Mar-19 11:32:43

Glasgow Warriors might argue it's not about teams!

The six Nations and the world cup aren't the only rugby competitions.

Fazackerley Wed 13-Mar-19 11:27:52

Even rugby feels different, support is just based around your country, which makes more sense to me, not around teams like it is in football

absolute classic grin

HarryTheSteppenwolf Tue 12-Mar-19 21:25:12

Even rugby feels different, support is just based around your country, which makes more sense to me, not around teams like it is in football.

Errmm. You don't actually know what rugby is, do you? There are clubs, and there are national teams. The same in rugby (both codes: union and league) as in football. The real fans are the ones who go to watch their clubs, not just the international matches.

WhoWasIt Tue 12-Mar-19 21:22:07

Could be worse @Willisleep, he could go over to

Chelsea!!! 😱

Willisleepeighthoursagain Tue 12-Mar-19 21:18:03

Chose is his own way in life....not a chance!

Willisleepeighthoursagain Tue 12-Mar-19 21:16:56

@WhoWasIt @WhiteHartLane - I think he probably wishes he was a 'Man City Kid'. He's in for a life of highs and lows with Arsenal!

WhoWasIt Tue 12-Mar-19 21:16:21

I never knew your grandad and he certainly never took me to WHL. 😂

WhoWasIt Tue 12-Mar-19 21:15:15

I meant same at missing it at seasons end @WhiteHartLane.

WhoWasIt Tue 12-Mar-19 21:08:54

Same @ WhiteHartLane.

Whispers to WhiteHartLane...there's a gunner here, probably sidling into the away end to nick your pie.

Vulpine Tue 12-Mar-19 21:06:04

Or you could let him choose his own path in life

WhoWasIt Tue 12-Mar-19 21:05:41

No no, you must not force the poor lad @Willisleep. It's against his 'uman rights or something.
A gunner though 😱 I hope he does a poonami on your head!

Only joking. X

Willisleepeighthoursagain Tue 12-Mar-19 21:00:20

@WhoWasIt - Although he is already a Junior Gunner, I couldn't resist. 😂

WhiteHartLane Tue 12-Mar-19 20:58:18

My Grandparents were Spurs fans and took me to a few games as a child. I was a lonely Spurs fan at school though, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool were the teams of choice in the mid-late 90's.

I was born (and still live) in Kent and occassionally go and cheer on my local league 1 club.

I watch and enjoy all football - really miss it when the season ends for 3 months!

Willisleepeighthoursagain Tue 12-Mar-19 20:53:43

@WhoWasIt - I couldn't possibly subject our poor baby to watch football when he has no say in the matter hmm

WhoWasIt Tue 12-Mar-19 20:51:55

Hope your baby is enjoying it @Willisleep 😀
PM sent to you @PinkSparkly

Willisleepeighthoursagain Tue 12-Mar-19 20:31:53

So much generalisation about football fans on this thread!

We're currently watching Juventus v Athletico Madrid - we don't support either but enjoy watching football and it's all our brains can take with a 5 week old baby!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 12-Mar-19 20:25:06

When there are soaps and reality crap on all the time I don't feel guilty that Corrie might be moved for football. To hear the moaning you'd think it was the end of the world and wouldn't be shown again!

Vulpine Tue 12-Mar-19 19:36:09

Football/ sports fans are soooo obsessive though. Their needs always come first because every game is so important.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »