Talk

Advanced search

To not understand the allegiance that some people have to sports clubs?

(202 Posts)
MuseumofInnocence Fri 08-Mar-19 16:03:51

I have some friends and family who are fans of certain sporting clubs (I'm referring to football mainly). I can sort of understand it for those who have some connection to the club (maybe they grew up near the club or their parents did), but I have friends who became fans of clubs hundreds of miles away when they were children, have been a handful of times to a game, but act as if they're the biggest fans ever.

Am I unreasonable, or is this weird?

RoboticSealpup Fri 08-Mar-19 16:05:42

YANBU It's flipping weird.

RUOKHUN Fri 08-Mar-19 16:06:26

Why is it weird? Perhaps it was a club that their family has supported through generations, perhaps years ago the family lived in the area but moved away and the support has been ‘handed’ down.

Football is a very old game. So, yeah, YABU. 🤷🏽‍♀️

WorraLiberty Fri 08-Mar-19 16:07:45

If you understand passion then no it's not weird.

MuseumofInnocence Fri 08-Mar-19 16:09:33

I'm referring to people who haven't had it passed down. I'm talking of people at age 8 deciding to become a (for example) Arsenal fan, and having barely been to a game, 30 years later, being a megafan.

Shamoo Fri 08-Mar-19 16:10:03

Supporting a football team is like following a religion. If you don’t support one, that’s fine and you won’t ever understand the people who do. But there is nothing inherently wrong in supporting one.
In the same way I don’t understand how people believe in God, but I respect that they do and I don’t judge it, I don’t expect to be judged for supporting a football team.

And the basis of where your support comes from is irrelevant to everybody else, just like why somebody follows a specific religion is.

Obvious caveat to both is if the person uses their support as an excuse to be violent etc.

MuseumofInnocence Fri 08-Mar-19 16:11:51

I suppose I don't have a very tribal mindset in my case, but human history tells us that many people do

Slowknitter Fri 08-Mar-19 16:20:25

People like to belong to a tribe, show great devotion to it, and display hostility to its rivals. Part of human nature innit? On balance it's probably better to do this through an excessive devotion to a football team, singer or actor than to go and attack the people from neighbouring tribes (well, villages or towns) with spears.

Slowknitter Fri 08-Mar-19 16:22:01

Cross-posted. No I'm not very tribal either. Some of us are clearly more civilised and have shaken off more of our primitive instincts, OP. grin

SneakyGremlins Fri 08-Mar-19 16:22:38

@Slowknitter less fun though.

frenchknitting Fri 08-Mar-19 16:24:26

YANBU - I don't get it either. (Or religion for that matter.)

I understand becoming a fan of a particular player or sports person and following their career. But over the course of a few years a football team will have different managers, coaches, players, etc. It is just supporting a "name". It makes no sense.

SellFridges Fri 08-Mar-19 16:26:11

It happens across all types of culture. People who enjoy something (in this case football, but could easily be music, art, dance, yoga, anything) decide they like the way a certain team/individual plays (or sings, or draws, or salutes the sun). So they defend and advocate for that team etc. They form allegiances with others who are like minded, and have (hopefully) friendly debates with supporters of others.

Now, get me talking on why it’s ok for a man to passionately follow his team across the UK every week but a woman who goes to a few gigs of the same band is seen as bat shit. That’s an issue.

Halloumimuffin Fri 08-Mar-19 16:29:30

My DP supports the club from my hometown despite no connection to it. It's the only thing that makes his obsession with football bearable.

10IAR Fri 08-Mar-19 16:32:14

I'm football daft, but then we all have season tickets and go to games.

There's lots of things I don't get about what other people like. But that's ok, we all like different things.

RoboticSealpup Fri 08-Mar-19 16:58:46

DH supports his local team in another country, just like his whole family does. This, I can understand. He also supports a British premier League team which was chosen on the basis of their colours when he was about ten years old and playing a videogame with this brother. He gets genuinely upset when they lose. 🤨

Babymamamama Fri 08-Mar-19 17:00:55

Yes I don't understand any of it regarding team allegiances but then I don't get religion either. Each to their own.

BackforGood Fri 08-Mar-19 17:05:39

It is that sense of belonging.
We all like different things though.
Some people will pay out mega ££ and travel a long way to see a certain band / group / artist.

ScreamingValenta Fri 08-Mar-19 17:06:25

I don't follow any sports teams, but I think YABU because it's no different from being passionate about any other hobby - everyone likes different things.

I think the only time sports fans are unreasonable is when they take it too far into other aspects of their lives - e.g. I know a couple of people at work who fell out when one's football team beat the other's (argument over whether a goal was legitimate or something) and they didn't talk to each other for about six months.

Slowknitter Fri 08-Mar-19 17:53:38

I also think it's hilarious when football fans refer to their favourite team as 'we', as though they themselves were on the team, e.g. "We played really well against X team on Saturday" . If you go and see a band, you don't say "We sang really well at that gig!" grin

Birdie6 Fri 08-Mar-19 18:01:44

My son is like this. He decided to support a particular football team when he was about 8, and now in his 30's he is a huge fan. The team is one that other people don't like for some reason - so over the years he has sustained a lot of bullying ( when at school ) and general nasty comments as an adult when he wears his beloved team jersey. When at high school, he'd insist on wearing his team jersey to school if "his team" was playing in a representative game or whatever.....he'd have to walk into school through groups of boys who hated his team and who'd heckle him mercilessly . The only thing he'd do to deal with this, was to ask to be dropped at school early so he'd get in before the main groups of boys arrived. The suggestion that he could just wear his school shirt, was met with derision . " I love them and I will always support them" was his answer.

I see it as a form of religion which gets stronger as he gets older - I don't understand it but he does , so on that subject we will be forever apart !

RUOKHUN Fri 08-Mar-19 18:05:07

Please read meme

MuseumofInnocence Fri 08-Mar-19 18:21:17

In real life I wouldn’t say anything , but anonymously I find the tribalism odd.

ForalltheSaints Fri 08-Mar-19 18:24:05

Those who follow a team they have no connection with are glory seekers, pure and simple. Hence my pleasure at every Manchester United defeat as most of their fans have no connection with the area- apparently under a third of season ticket holders have a Manchester postcode.

Patroclus Fri 08-Mar-19 18:25:19

A lot of it is like the reason people enjoy soaps I think and a replacement for religion. Very communal as well. Frank Skinner made an interesting point saying football crowds are the only place folk songs are still contemporary and created (chants). It really can lift a city as well, The first time Hull went into the Premier League it made a massive difference financially.

Patroclus Fri 08-Mar-19 18:28:23

I an sort of understand 'glory seeking'. Its natural to want to see the best quality of the sport around and the most dramatic. I think even I supported Man U for the week when they won 99 champions league, and Man city with that league winning Aguero goal.

BejamNostalgia Fri 08-Mar-19 18:29:57

Because they like watching the sport and supporting a team makes it more interesting.

10IAR Fri 08-Mar-19 18:30:29

I get irritated with glory hunters. The team I support has had a particularly successful couple of years and I've loved every minute of it. But then I also remember when it was shit, and the stadium was half empty so I'm quite enjoying the recent successes.

But I get irritated with the folk who are only interested when it's good.

x2boys Fri 08-Mar-19 18:31:02

I don't follow football at all, but it's like any hobby some people like it ,my Dad and all his siblings are all.but Man United fans but they were brought up in Longsite Manchester well after moving from Ireland .

minionsrule Fri 08-Mar-19 18:46:09

I am not from Manchester but my ex was and i started going to City matches with him in the late 80's ( can't call me a glory hunter grin). We split up mid 90's and i couldn't afford to attend matches (screwed me over financially) but 20 years on i still listen to commentary or watch on the telly and yes i would say i am a huge fan.
My scouse family were horrified for a while but they got over it (p.s before city i didn't really bother with footy so i didn't 'switch teams').
P.p.s i saw some real dross in the 80's and 90's!

IndigoSpritz Fri 08-Mar-19 18:51:59

I'm not a sports fan by any means and consequently, I find the fandom bizarre. One of my colleagues is a Liverpool AFC supporter even though he's not from anywhere near the city, has never been and never goes to the games. He was less than a year old when the Hillsborough debacle happened yet feels a personal connection. I can't explain any of that. Another one, in the nine years I've known him, is supporting his third football team. His current lot (my boys, as he calls them) is Manchester City. Before, it was Liverpool and it was Leeds United when we first met. Classic glory supporter. I also know Spurs and Newcastle United supporters with no obvious connection to these clubs. I don't get it.

Disclaimer. I am not seeking to downplay the significance of what happened at Hillsborough thirty years ago.

derxa Fri 08-Mar-19 18:57:55

MNetters in general hate football. It's too lower class for them. DH supports Celtic even though he lives in England and has barely been to a match. Brendan Rogers is a mercenary traitor according to him. DS supports Arsenal and I'm not allowed to speak during matches.
Both stick to their teams through thick and thin. That's the point. A sense of loyalty and belonging.

ScreamingValenta Fri 08-Mar-19 19:05:53

apparently under a third of season ticket holders have a Manchester postcode.

Does that mean anything, though? They might be Mancunians by birth or upbringing, but have moved away as adults, or they might be lifelong supporters for other reasons.

MuseumofInnocence Fri 08-Mar-19 20:12:55

To be fair for me, the same could be said for any sports team (football, rugby, or tiddlywinks). I don’t think I have the need to belong to something in such a concrete way. Perhaps abstractly maybe (I’m British and that’s an identity)

onthenaughtystepagain Fri 08-Mar-19 22:59:57

There are many things people do that I don't understand eg watch reality TV, Star Wars, Fools and Horses etc but I don't think it's ever bothered me, I am mature enough to see that people are different.
There must be people on this site who are in a permanent state of worrying about irrelevant trivia, they need to decide what's important!

Amanduh Fri 08-Mar-19 23:08:03

I don’t get how people ‘don’t get’ it. Not want to, not feel the same, don’t have the need fair enough. But surelt you can understand the basics of why people do?!

TitsAndTomatoes Fri 08-Mar-19 23:48:10

YABVU.
People can be passionate about different things. No harm in that

Klopptimist Sat 09-Mar-19 00:58:22

I also think it's hilarious when football fans refer to their favourite team as 'we', as though they themselves were on the team

On the other side of the coin, a lot of footballers and managers will refer to the "twelfth man" on the team - the supporters.

ForalltheSaints Sat 09-Mar-19 06:55:48

minionsrule I remember at the time Man City were in the third division and over 30,000 attended a midweek game. So I would never class Man City fans as I do the glory seekers following the team from just outside Manchester.

Frank Skinner's point about songs is a good one, though some are sadly hateful.

FrangipaniBlue Sat 09-Mar-19 07:37:40

DS(11) is football crazy and supports a particular premiership side, has done since he was about 6/7.

I can't stand football, DH feels "meh" about it and other than occasionally watching MOTD to see who won what he's generally not that interested.

None of DS friends support the team he does. Not one.

He has never been to a match, although I have in the past (unsuccessfully) tried to get tickets.

I literally have no clue where he gets his love of football or why he supports this particular team - baffles me!!

WillGymForPizza Sat 09-Mar-19 10:06:43

My DF and DB are huge fans of our local club and season ticket holders. They are a lower league team, and they get annoyed at all the Man United/Liverpool etc fans who live in our town, but then also get very annoyed when the team plays well and all the 'glory' hunters turn out. It's very confusing for me I admit.

AngeloMysterioso Sat 09-Mar-19 10:12:01

I would understand it more if football clubs still had local players playing for them, but when the only local thing about the club is the location of the stadium and the players come from all over the world, I just don’t get it.

10IAR Sat 09-Mar-19 10:13:32

AngeloMysterioso the team I support does, in fact half of the usual squad (including subs) are products of the youth academy which is something I'm quite proud of. DD is training with them, her aim is to join the women's team when she grows up.

AngeloMysterioso Sat 09-Mar-19 10:17:32

10IAR are they a not particularly wealthy or high-ranking team? I find they do tend to place a bit more emphasis on home-grown talent. I was referring more to the Arsenal, Man City, Chelseas of this world.

RosaPfirsich Sat 09-Mar-19 10:21:43

I don't get it.

We have a friend who gets incredibly affected by the results of 'his' football team. We steer clear when they lose as he is miserable for days. He's a ray of sunshine when they win. I struggle to get my head round it.

LL83 Sat 09-Mar-19 10:32:27

If you chose to support them at age 8 because you liked the strip or a player then developed a love of the team why is that not a valid enough reason?

More effort than following the closest team or the team your dad supports. (I support the team my dad supports so nothing wrong with that either)

WillGymForPizza Sat 09-Mar-19 10:39:55

Totally OT, but are Man United not actually in Manchester then? I know they are fairly close to the Trafford Centre. But it's still in Manchester isn't it?

x2boys Sat 09-Mar-19 11:04:20

It would be classed as Greater Manchester Will

WhoWasIt Sat 09-Mar-19 11:12:55

It's hard to describe. I'm a massive lifelong fan of a football team from my own country. No matter how many team changes or managers, they're still my club. They're not my local cities team either, but a city some 50 miles away. Though obviously I can't get to many matches due to being here, I watch every game live on my computer. I buy that season's top each season too. Each winter my clubs hat and scarf is worn. My coffee is drunk from my team's mug.
I loved my team's former manager, I was devastated when he moved to a new club, most of the fans were. To my husband's amusement, I fancy him like mad too.
I make a point of going home to attend the derby when they're playing our biggest rivals.
Equally, my husband is a lifelong fan of his club. He watches every match. It's not a team local to where he was born, although when we first moved here, he did persuade me to live where his clubs grounds are! He wears his team's latest top and drinks from his team's mug too.
It's hard to describe the loyalty, the hopes, the highs and lows. The feelings and the tears, oh the tears.
You want your team to be the best, you may have respect for rival clubs, but you hate them at the same time and would like nothing more than to see them squashed into the mud by your team. Silver wear is important. It is the one thing we chase.
Mine and my husband's teams have recently played each other, my team lost. You can imagine the atmosphere in my home that night 😂

Bit of trivia for you. Did you know that, according to research, men who have loyally followed a club all their lives make the most loyal, faithful husbands.

WhoWasIt Sat 09-Mar-19 11:15:54

I can't stand ' plastic ' fans either.
There when the going is good and melt away when it's not.
Pathetic.

AngeloMysterioso Sat 09-Mar-19 11:16:20

Bit of trivia for you. Did you know that, according to research, men who have loyally followed a club all their lives make the most loyal, faithful husbands.

I never though my DH being a lifelong, die-hard Arsenal fan would be a good thing...

WillGymForPizza Sat 09-Mar-19 11:28:22

X2Boys thanks I didn't know that. I know Ive seen Old Trafford from a plane when taking off from Manchester a few times, but the airport isn't actually Manchester either is it.

WhoWasIt Sat 09-Mar-19 11:47:29

Probably the only good thing about Arsenal @AngelicoMysterioso 😜

(Please accept I'm joking )

WhoWasIt Sat 09-Mar-19 11:48:35

About being a fan of Arsenal I mean @Angelo

FredFlinstoneMadeOfBones Sat 09-Mar-19 11:54:50

I don't support any football team but I can understand why some people like it. Even if they randomly chose a club for no reason. It's just something to do - something to get involved and excited about to pass the time.

Ohyesiam Sat 09-Mar-19 11:59:31

I suppose it’s tribalism and competitiveness.
Dull as ditchwater to me, but seeing as pro footballers get paid enough every week to buy a house like the one I own, it must be a big part of the human psyche.

Oblomov19 Sat 09-Mar-19 12:06:31

I love football generally. I CAN understand the tribalism. What about : Fans of any other sport at all: ice hockey, rugby, tennis. Anything I get.

I'm puzzled that you DON'T get it!!

Aebj Sat 09-Mar-19 12:12:31

My dads a Fulham supporter. He grew up in the area and went to lots of games. Passed the passion onto myself and my brother. However my brother also became a Liverpool supporter ( he grew up in the ‘80’s ). He wanted to support a winning team😂😂 ( something Fulham can’t do!!) my brother hasn’t been to a Liverpool but he’s still an avid supporter to this day.
I have realised that this is an outing post so might have to change my name as once my dad dies , there will no longer be true Fulham supporters!!!

EmeraldShamrock Sat 09-Mar-19 12:13:54

Yanbu. Though Liverpool f.c is DPs passion, he shares their highs and lows with dedication, If he has his way he would love to marry on the grounds. will nevrr happen

Likethewind321 Sat 09-Mar-19 13:05:28

I don't get it either. It makes my hair stand on end.

I understand the enjoyment of a hobby, I understand the desire to watch the game with friends, and to pick a side to support makes it more interesting and enjoyable. What I DON'T get it the sort of passionate support the OP is talking about, as if it really matters. When it somehow becomes part of your identity.

It's a ball being kicked about by disgustingly overpaid men. Yes there is skill involved, but so also in tennis, cricket or hockey. Any sport. Why should football be so different? Even rugby feels different, support is just based around your country, which makes more sense to me, not around teams like it is in football.

It's tribalism, and to me feels quite primitive, uncivilised and scary. It seems like the same psychology as is present in gangs. I realise that will offend many football fans, but that's just the way I see it and how I feel about it.

WhoWasIt Sat 09-Mar-19 13:13:16

I'm not offended @Likethewind321. smile
I doubt any other fan would be either.

x2boys Sat 09-Mar-19 14:53:40

No the airport is in Cheshire I think it's very ,very close to my aunties house about a mile or two but it's known as Manchester airport

x2boys Sat 09-Mar-19 14:57:23

Well i used to be Ringway (not actually sure if it still.is?) But most people know as Manchester airport.

Hollycatberry Sat 09-Mar-19 15:15:09

No the airport is in Cheshire

Off subject but Manchester airport is very much in Manchester. It’s within the boundary of Manchester City Council and the council has an ownership stake in the holding group that runs the airport.

Old Trafford (Man Utds ground) is in the borough of Trafford which part of Greater Manchester.

Back to topic, OP sounds a bit smug about not “being into tribalism”. Maybe you’re too lofty and think it’s a bit common?? Like only uneducated yobs who need to act like a tribe follow a team?

Don’t forgot football used to be a male working class sport, something to get away from the drudgery of working 6 days a week that could be enjoyed cheaply. The sport has massively changed to commercialisation, but to “not get” that some people will enjoy following and supporting a team that their family have supported supported is a bit naive. I enjoy following a football team and rugby. I enjoy watching live sports and the highs of winning. As a PP said for some towns/cities those teams bring a lot of pride and economic benefits when they do well, hardly anything to do with tribalism hmm

dancerdog Sat 09-Mar-19 15:29:37

My team allegiance is the 'handed down' type, and having married a fan of the same team, our children also support that team. In fact, the night I met husband to be was spent mainly talking about our club. (Yes, 'our' club.)

Football is a bit like a soap on TV - mental story lines, unlikely events, magnificent victories, punch-in-the-gut defeats, great/dud signings, penalties that never were, cheatin' referees, occasional treachery, did I mention magnificent victories?....there's always something going on and you are sitting with 60,000 people enjoying every single emotion it brings. Club history and all the events surrounding it plus your own stories of 'do you remember when xx happened...' are woven into the common psyche of the fans. (Sorry, that bit sounds a bit pretentious!)

So, although it is a bit hellish dragging yourself out for an expected European trouncing in wintry weather, the good times are great and we do it because we enjoy it.

Everyone else, just chill?

Winebottle Sat 09-Mar-19 16:04:04

It's more than just tribalism. Being emotionally involved in a game makes it much more exciting. Every time I watch a football match I will pick a team that I want to win and root for them. It isn't more interesting when you can celebrate goals and feel the highs and lows.

I can definitely see how you can choose to support a random team. The more you watch, the more you feel the emotions, the more hooked you get.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sat 09-Mar-19 16:39:26

Weirdest of all is people who doggedly support two different teams. I knew of a man who was a committed fan of both Aston Villa AND West Ham.

Not long after he mentioned this, he asked a lot of people a very controversial question which meant that he had to leave his job, so I suppose that at least he has enough spare time to follow both teams now.

dancerdog Sat 09-Mar-19 16:49:15

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll

Not that hard to support West Ham and Aston Villa at the same time - they wear the same strip (just about)!

BackforGood Sat 09-Mar-19 16:52:02

Not necessarily WeBuilt
My DBiL for example grew up being a big fan of his local team. Held a season ticket for years. After graduating, settled in a different part of the country for work, and started going along to a local team there, as it would have been totally impractical to return 'hoe' from his new home, every time there was a match.
At the time, his teams were 3 or 4 divisions apart, so no issue being able to support both - one physically going to the games, and one more remotely.

bigandbumpy Sat 09-Mar-19 17:00:59

@Likethewind321 - A gang LOL....not all football fans are hooligans!

Arsenal supporter here from a family of Arsenal fans. We are fortunate to have 2 season tickets in the family. I wouldn't say it's tribal but it is an allegiance, and you do feel a connection with other supporters when you can discuss the highs and lows. You also do refer to them as 'we' when talking to other fans.

I don't think having that passion is a bad thing at all!

CalamityJune Sat 09-Mar-19 17:06:11

They might have been inspired by a player or an impressive season and become attracted to the club that way. Not all areas have a local premiership team so if you like top level football, you're not bound by where you live.

RomanyQueen1 Sat 09-Mar-19 17:06:37

Very few United supporters live anywhere near Manchester and even fewer season ticket holders. grin
It's usually glory hunting men who have to be associated with the winners. I think it's another small penis syndrome.

10IAR Sat 09-Mar-19 18:37:11

@AngeloMysterioso we're Scottish so it's not the same as the EPL which appears to be more money less soul. But my team is Celtic, league champions the last 7 years running, on course for 8, with a clean sweep of trophies for the last 2 seasons.

We appear to be a feeder team for the EPL but actually I'm really enjoying the focus on bringing the young talent through the academy, both for the men's and women's teams.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sat 09-Mar-19 22:18:45

@BackforGood

Sorry, no, you are right.

I think the big, big difference is that your DBiL remembers that he supports both teams and wouldn't confuse the two grin

Supergrassyknoll Sat 09-Mar-19 22:24:49

I find your issue with this odd, you clearly have very little or no appreciation of human spirit and allegiance in joy of supporting a sporting club with like minded people

Vulpine Sat 09-Mar-19 22:28:23

I hate tribalism. It's the root cause of all the problems in the world.

BackforGood Sat 09-Mar-19 22:59:42

Well - they do wear different colours, unlike Villa and West Ham grin

(sorry, replying to WeBuilt)

IndigoSpritz Sun 10-Mar-19 11:38:45

Can anyone please explain, without prejudice, why Manchester United is popularly known as 'the scum' ? I find it juvenile and unpleasant.

Thankyou.

Progress2019 Sun 10-Mar-19 11:48:37

You really ABU. People without passions and real interests are not people I want in my life.

People love all kinds of things. From being obsessed with the soaps or Strictly, to fashion or football. I have friends who are mad about Harry Potter, and one who loves all things disney. Football is my biggest interest, but I don’t spend a lot of time talking about it to people who don’t enjoy it. Equally my friend who worships Philip Schofield doesn’t talk much about him to me.

Live and let live, and be grateful we’re all different.

Jsmith99 Sun 10-Mar-19 11:54:39

I am a season ticket holder at my home-town club, which currently plays in the Championship. I was born, grew up and went to school within 2 miles of our old ground, which was demolished in the 90s and replaced by a modern out-of-town stadium.

I definitely have more respect for real fans who support their local team than those who randomly pick a big Premier League club with which they have no actual connection. (Funny how it’s always a big PL club and not, for example, Accrington Stanley, isn’t it?).

Some years ago I worked with a guy who made himself out to be a fanatical Man Utd supporter. He was from Hampshire, spoke with a public school accent and he admitted he had never actually been to Old Trafford....

notanothernam Sun 10-Mar-19 11:57:18

I don't understand when someone follows a team in a city theyve never lived in (or been to in some cases!) growing up we had no local team and people would support the usual Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea etc, having no connections to it whatsoever. I've never understood that personally.

Vulpine Sun 10-Mar-19 11:58:38

Progress - in general those other 'obsessions' don't dominate others lives in the same way sport does.

soulrunner Sun 10-Mar-19 12:01:30

Can anyone please explain, without prejudice, why Manchester United is popularly known as 'the scum' ? I find it juvenile and unpleasant.

I think it's mainly City supporters that call them that and I think it's because they're from Salford (I.e not really Manchester).

wizzywig Sun 10-Mar-19 12:06:12

they act like how extremists of a religion. as in totally blind and fanatical and very good with the history and facts of the sport. There was a programme on bbc i think about someone who went to bradford with a copy of the satanic verses. and the reactions were still very extreme towards the book even by those who hadnt read it. and i find there are football fans that are just like that.

WillGymForPizza Sun 10-Mar-19 12:08:59

My DM supports Liverpool. She used to live there years ago and did actually used to go to Anfield fairly often to watch matches (I think it was easier to get tickets then), but she hasn't been in years.

ILiveInSalemsLot Sun 10-Mar-19 12:11:58

I know people who,as kids, got interested in football. Their families were never into football so had no affiliation to a team. The towns and cities they lived in weren’t in the premiership so they just ended up watching players and adopting a premiership team to follow.
That’s how they end up supporting teams like Manchester United and Arsenal when they don’t live anywhere near the teams.

WillGymForPizza Sun 10-Mar-19 12:15:35

And yes it is all very juvenile. I have a Man United supporting family member who refers to Liverpool as 'the scum'. He's been getting so worked up recently because they might win the league, lots of anti Liverpool/scouser memes on Facebook, some of them actually down right nasty. You can see it genuinely angers him. He hates Man City as well although not as much as Liverpool.

Aside from the fanaticism I really don't understand why you'd get so het up about what another team is doing? I didn't realise until recently that Spurs are a Jewish team and get a lot of anti Semitic abuse from rival fans.

Fucking weird!

IndigoSpritz Sun 10-Mar-19 12:17:21

Thankyou soulrunner. I live in, and am native to, Leeds and I frequently hear the expression among my work colleagues, including the Liverpool supporter I mentioned upthread. It's rather pathetic when sports rivalry gets that low.

pickletickled Sun 10-Mar-19 12:28:48

I don't understand when someone follows a team in a city theyve never lived in
There's a whole host of reasons. Glory supporting is one reason but for many it's not that. Personally, I'm a huge football fan, have been since I was young. I have a local team, which always comes 1st. Had a season ticket for many years until work made it impossible to continue.
I am also a massive Man Utd fan - which is over 200 miles away from where I live. I've supported them for roughly 30 years and you know what started it off? I was watching a match with my Granddad one day and Man u got beat - I felt so sorry for them....and from that day my love for them began. I'd want to watch them play, I was happy when they'd win (except when they'd play my No1 team of course, which isn't an issue now as they aren't in the PL ) It's a passion that's kind of hard to explain.
It's like really liking a song that you can't relate to - should you then not listen to it? Or can you only be an ABBA fan if you're Swedish? Of course not! Same applies to football teams.

Willisleepeighthoursagain Sun 10-Mar-19 15:04:01

That's because Man U are scum haha! ....it's just old rivalries especially back in the day between Arsenal and Man U - some very brutal games.
Man U and Liverpool has always been considered a derby, before Man City started to do well. So the old rivalry is there.

I don't understand why you'd all get so upset about it and call it juvenile. If you don't follow a team or care then you really have no clue about the feelings associated.

You get racist issues world wide - go to Russia where it's horrendous for black players!

Willisleepeighthoursagain Sun 10-Mar-19 15:06:30

@pickletickled - Love your 'can you only like ABBA if you're Swedish'. Exactly true!

I don't live in North London but have always supported Arsenal, as did my dad and my Grandad. I wouldn't dream of supporting anyone else - it is just what it is!

BluebellsareBlue Sun 10-Mar-19 15:49:42

@10IAR 😂 I'm a season ticket holder of 31 years of the team that are desperate to stop 10IAR. But... I live in Dundee, catholic and passion was passed down through the generations. All the best from a mumsnet pal in blue 💗

PissOffPeppa Sun 10-Mar-19 16:38:48

I know what you mean OP. I love football... when England are playing. I watch all the matches, I’ve been to games, I keep up with what’s going on. I feel a connection to the team.

I really, really want to like club football, but I just can’t connect with any team. The teams near me are all non-league which is of course fine, but if I want the excitement of a big match, there’s nothing within about 50 miles. And of course the players can be from all over the world and switch teams when they get a better offer, so it’s not like they’re loyal to a club anyway.

My dad is the same- supports England but doesn’t have a team, so I guess I got that from him. If he’d supported a particular club, I would probably be a fan of theirs. He’s very into non-league football though.

If you don’t live near a team, and you don’t have family connections to one, how do you decide who to support?

IndigoSpritz Sun 10-Mar-19 19:08:34

Where I live is very much Rugby League territory and a good deal of my colleagues follow the sport, particularly Leeds Rhinos. However, the passion that's commonly associated with football isn't obvious and the various teams' performances don't get discussed and improved by armchair managers to the same degree.

10IAR Mon 11-Mar-19 12:17:30

@BluebellsareBlue it wasn't so long ago we were the ones desperate to stop 10IAR grin I still vividly remember the day we did.

All the best from a green and white MNetter smile

(And mostly a massive hope that all the awfulness across the board in Scottish football just now stops!)

DontCallMeCharlotte Mon 11-Mar-19 12:28:32

I also think it's hilarious when football fans refer to their favourite team as 'we', as though they themselves were on the team

Likewise when my team had an amazing season (way back when!), people would congratulate me and talk to me as if I had played myself!

ChodeofChodeHall Mon 11-Mar-19 12:44:53

YANBU! I will never understand why some people take sport so seriously. You're crying over P.E. FFS.

MuseumofInnocence Mon 11-Mar-19 13:11:04

I don’t get how people ‘don’t get’ it. Not want to, not feel the same, don’t have the need fair enough. But surelt you can understand the basics of why people do?

I suppose I could sort of understand it from a juvenile perspective, but not as an adult. I do understand that the tribalism that occurs in a stadium is contagious, as I have experienced it. I'm trying to distinguish it from the enjoying and following a team, and wanting them to win, from the state of obsession and how it forms an identity. Rather than adding to life, it seems to take away from it.

MuseumofInnocence Mon 11-Mar-19 13:17:26

Weirdest of all is people who doggedly support two different teams. I knew of a man who was a committed fan of both Aston Villa AND West Ham.

PS, I got the David Cameron joke!

Lifecraft Mon 11-Mar-19 13:57:25

Those who follow a team they have no connection with are glory seekers, pure and simple. Hence my pleasure at every Manchester United defeat as most of their fans have no connection with the area- apparently under a third of season ticket holders have a Manchester postcode.

How many Man Utd fans does it take to change a lightbulb?
Two, one to change the bulb and the other to share the driving on the way back to Sussex.

icannotremember Mon 11-Mar-19 14:25:31

I was a Rangers fan when they were dominant, a Rangers fan throughout the banter years, am a Rangers fan now that they are starting to rebuild (although this season has left me spluttering tbh, Celtic are going to win it despite at times seeming to try very hard not to). I wasn't born in and have never lived in Glasgow, I inherited my allegiance. But it's lifelong.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »