Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to never go here again & tell everyone I know how awful it is?

(628 Posts)
FrazzledCareerWoman Fri 08-Mar-19 15:34:14

New fancy "mums brasserie" type place has opened in the London suburb where I live. Think zone 3, up and coming area. Lots of yummy mummies, baby classes, mums fitness, etc around. People have money to spend.

So they open this place that is marketed as a wellness and foodie experience where you can have lunch and spa treatments while they watch your little darlings. Sounds amazing, non?

They also will have classes for the kids that are put on by external providers, and a soft play area.

Okay, fine. Me and NCT friend decide to go and check it out just for lunch.

Well, I think I'm still in shock. No alcohol at all firstly - I tried to order a glass of Prosecco and they were like "what's that"? So clearly missing a trick there 🤷🏻‍♀️

Secondly, waiting staff obviously had never worked in so much as a greasy spoon previously as they were faffing around doing very little, extremely inattentive and managed to take an hour to bring our starters and a further 30 mins for our next courses. To be fair they claimed this was due to a power cut (which lasted about 5 mins after we had already been waiting for an hour).

Thirdly, it was eye wateringly expensive. Their sushi chef hadn't started yet and so they was barely anything on the menu that was available.

Our bill was £43, no alcohol, 1 tea, 1 latte, 1 dip with crudités, 1 broccoli soup, 1 stale foccacia slice, 1 eggs Benedict with cold sauce , 1 basic salad.

I waited an hour for a “Japanese style avocado salad” that was cucumber tomato and iceberg lettuce. The bread with my soup was stale.

So you would think we were offered our meal for free after all that wouldn't you? Well not only am I ashamed to say I didn't blink and paid the full £43 when asked but the owner had the audacity to offer us "a free dish next time you come".

I feel like they are totally ruining something that could have been great! And they are clearly mental and have done zero research. Membership is around £500 a year.

Just speechless.

Caxx Fri 08-Mar-19 15:37:28

First world problems

AmIOTTconcerned Fri 08-Mar-19 15:37:44

Well the food service definitely sounds awful.

Everything else they offer sounds really good though.

You can definitely tell people how awful it is as long as you make it clear you only went there for lunch.

Kenworthington Fri 08-Mar-19 15:37:55

I’m quite speechless too tbh but possibly not for the same reason as you op.

John470322 Fri 08-Mar-19 15:38:45

I waited an hour for a “Japanese style avocado salad” that was cucumber tomato and iceberg lettuce.
What happened to the avocado? Surely an essential ingredient
YANBU

FrazzledCareerWoman Fri 08-Mar-19 15:39:51

Okay sorry there was avocado in jt!

ziggiestardust Fri 08-Mar-19 15:41:06

Yeah I wouldn’t be happy at all with that. I’m not sure I’d want to go back and try the baby classes after that!

FrazzledCareerWoman Fri 08-Mar-19 15:41:38

Exactly @ziggiestardust it doesn't exactly inspire confidence

MamaLovesMango Fri 08-Mar-19 15:41:47

You should write to your MP

ziggiestardust Fri 08-Mar-19 15:42:01

“First world problems” Sorry are we not allowed to post here if we aren’t facing a life changing crisis? 😒

FrazzledCareerWoman Fri 08-Mar-19 15:42:48

Thought it was almost funny it's so bad, but clearly I need to be flamed for having first world problems 😆

Bowchicawowow Fri 08-Mar-19 15:43:44

This thread is why I left London.

FrazzledCareerWoman Fri 08-Mar-19 15:43:59

@Kenworthington I'm curious?

FrazzledCareerWoman Fri 08-Mar-19 15:44:16

@Bowchicawowow I hear you !

nombrecambio Fri 08-Mar-19 15:45:38

YABU to drink prosecco. It's champagne lambrini... that might explain the service afterwards. They assumed you were a bit c-word!

LovingLola Fri 08-Mar-19 15:46:01

Was there a drinks menu ?

Bowchicawowow Fri 08-Mar-19 15:46:19

grin OP.

MamaLovesMango Fri 08-Mar-19 15:46:47

You went to a new place, they were having teething problems and you didn’t like it. Somebody might walk in tomorrow and really enjoy it. It’s one of those things, it really isn’t the the earth shattering life experience you’re describing. Certainly nothing to be ‘speechless’ about which you clearly aren’t.

MrsTommyBanks Fri 08-Mar-19 15:47:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FrazzledCareerWoman Fri 08-Mar-19 15:47:21

@nombrecambio grin

FrazzledCareerWoman Fri 08-Mar-19 15:48:26

I think it's a bit worse than teething problems to totally misprice your menu, open before you have got the right staff and serve stale bread.

fibrecruncher Fri 08-Mar-19 15:48:39

Hi op,
Is this in SW London? It must be the same place I visited yesterday with my son in the early evening - lots of similarities! I definitely experienced some of the same things i.e. basic salad, high bill, stale focaccia. But to be fair I had a long chat with the owner and she was lovely. I think they are having the typical growing pains of a new business - the sushi chef had walked out after lunch the day before. From the sounds of it it could be amazing - I will give it another go.

MamaLovesMango Fri 08-Mar-19 15:48:46

YABU to drink prosecco. It's champagne lambrini

And this FFS. Don’t you know anything?!

FrazzledCareerWoman Fri 08-Mar-19 15:49:13

At least @MrsTommyBanks can do a proper old style flaming. Props smile

RuggyPeg Fri 08-Mar-19 15:49:54

What did the police say?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »