Talk

Advanced search

To think school should check who they’re speaking to firsr

(14 Posts)
MyKingdomForACaramel Fri 08-Mar-19 15:05:16

Just received a random call on my mobile. The guy didn’t in any way ask who I was, just launched into telling me that “Alicia” has been caught truanting and smoking.

Well- as I don’t have any children assume this wasn’t really meant for me and had to be quite forceful in getting this across to stop him continuing!

No harm really done - I have no idea what school it was, who the kid is etc, but made me think - imagine that was your child and they perhaps called on your work number, or if they got the parents numbers muddled etc.

So aibu to say that they really should check they’re speaking to the right person first.

MrsSpenserGregson Fri 08-Mar-19 15:06:06

Sounds like a prank call!

Howtostopalifetimeoflearntbeha Fri 08-Mar-19 15:07:05

Definitely check first. What a plonker!

Tucobenedicto Fri 08-Mar-19 15:11:28

Is this serious?

Comefromaway Fri 08-Mar-19 15:13:08

I have to say that every time ds's school call (and he has SEN and various issues so it is a lot) they always ask is that Mrs X.

WhoGivesADamnForAFlakeyBandit Fri 08-Mar-19 15:17:46

I've had this - someone spent a few weeks giving out my number instead of hers. Her child was ill and they wanted me to collect him from school. I didn't even know which school otherwise I might have considered it! At that point I'd had calls from her garage, granny, work, other child's school, and multiple other people all insistent the number I've had for 20-odd years wasn't mine. I'd've collected him and kept him until she'd learnt her own bloody phone number grin

WhoGivesADamnForAFlakeyBandit Fri 08-Mar-19 15:18:39

I should add - my Dc's school always says 'is that Mrs X, this is Y school DON'T WORRY THEY ARE ALRIGHT we were just wondering if....'

MyKingdomForACaramel Fri 08-Mar-19 15:21:13

I’m pretty sure he said he was the head, though I guess maybe head of departmental I just assumed it was someone about to try and sell me something I paid no attention.

The worst bit was that when I said “can I just stop you there” he got quite arsey until I said wrong number!

Comefromaway Fri 08-Mar-19 15:31:25

I should add - my Dc's school always says 'is that Mrs X, this is Y school DON'T WORRY THEY ARE ALRIGHT we were just wondering if....'

Yes, LOL, always preceded with that. Except when his previosu school rang to say he had gone missing an hour ago and no-one knew where he was (year 7 he was found 2 hours later asleep inside a locker!

Comefromaway Fri 08-Mar-19 15:32:19

Sounds like the kind of phone call a Head of Year would make.

Crunchymum Fri 08-Mar-19 15:35:30

My kids school call me about once a week for head bumps (mine are very clumsy and it's H&S policy that they contact parent). They always ask of this is x or y mum before anything else.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Fri 08-Mar-19 15:35:56

DD's school does the "Is that X's mum? Don't worry she's fine ..." thing. DS's school does "Is that Y's mum? Don't worry he's not in trouble ...". Tells you all you'll ever need to know about my DC. grin

MyKingdomForACaramel Fri 08-Mar-19 15:37:00

He was just so patronisingly rude too. Hopefully the wrong number took the wind out of his sails a little for the call that will be revived by the actual parent.

MyKingdomForACaramel Fri 08-Mar-19 19:14:04

Glad to hear most are at least a little more kind

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »