Talk

Advanced search

To think Mummy Pig is a little stuck up..?

(79 Posts)
Newyeardontcare Fri 08-Mar-19 10:12:14

Absolutely love Peppa Pig, it's very funny - for adults and kids. Just watched 'The Market' and was a bit shocked at how snobby Mummy Pig was towards Mr Fox. "Our house doesn't need a singing plastic fish". Said with a lot of condemnation and middle class snobbery...

Modestandatinybitsexy Fri 08-Mar-19 10:48:25

Peppa's a brat and the whole family has issues. There are studies on the adverse affects this programme has on kid's behaviour.

Newyeardontcare Sun 10-Mar-19 17:27:17

Really?

ShimmeringIce Sun 10-Mar-19 17:36:38

Haha I thought it was quite relatable. What would you have said in that situation? (Or do you sell Billy Basses?) wink

PristineCondition Sun 10-Mar-19 17:37:42

She’s a twat to daddy pig too. She belittles him constantly.
He can do better

Bunnybigears Sun 10-Mar-19 17:38:30

I think Mummy Pig was spoilt rotten by Grandma and Grandpa pig and the cycle is continuing with Peppa.

Newyeardontcare Sun 10-Mar-19 17:46:20

She really does emasculate him! (Although, the picture hanging episode is the BEST and most relatable EVER!) 🤣😂😂😂

PrawnOfCreation Sun 10-Mar-19 17:54:44

Mummy Pig puts up with some shit. I'd have snapped years ago if I were her.

Keewee27 Sun 10-Mar-19 17:55:23

I love the episode when Mummy Pig gets stuck in the blackberry bush and Peppa says she'll be in there for a hundred years. It's hilarious because Mummy pig is going on about how she always picked berries and is showing off and then falls in. The innuendo is funny too.
I am glad I very rarely have to watch the annoying pig any more mind you! grin

twattymctwatterson Sun 10-Mar-19 18:02:52

I'm really worried about Miss Rabbit and her financial situation. Are all of those jobs zero hours contracts? I'm also concerned that Daddy Pig is an architect but they're overcrowded in a two bedroom house with a shit car and no foreign holidays. Does he have a gambling problem?

Newyeardontcare Sun 10-Mar-19 18:05:46

They DO have foreign holiday! They've been to Italy and Australia!

Miss Rabbit does work way too hard but she was recognised by the queen... (fuck, I need to watch less Peppa Pig!) lol hahah

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sun 10-Mar-19 18:12:53

They DO have foreign holiday! They've been to Italy and Australia!

Although they seemed to turn up in australia and expect to stay at the kangaroo families house unexpected and uninvited and then thought they'd stay indefinately.

So what about daddy pigs job? Didn't he have to get back to it?

Newyeardontcare Sun 10-Mar-19 18:15:35

To be fair, the Australian family turns up at their house first...
I think daddy pig is senior management, so can take as long off as he wants...

PatchworkElmer Sun 10-Mar-19 18:19:37

Would be interested to see links to studies on Peppa and behaviour! DS (2) loves it. He just coughed and said “oh no, I got cough. Need to see Dr Brown Bear!” 😂

DravenRainrix Sun 10-Mar-19 18:20:07

Best bit of Peppa:

Daddy pig has built a house for the wolf family,
Mr wolf: "so what's it made of?"
Daddy pig: "Bricks, so don't even think about it"

Classic.

FudgeBrownie2019 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:24:36

I don't mind Mummy Pig but Peppa is just a total knobber and poor George is going to need masses of therapy when he's older because of her perpetual tormenting and unkindness.

Also Draven that is by far the best ever episode.

Jasmineallenestate Sun 10-Mar-19 18:34:04

Momo is bossier imo.

Hopoindown31 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:34:53

My theory is that Mummy Pig married down. She has pratically an RP accent and Granny and Grandpa Pig are frightfully posh, have an orchard and a boat. I suspect she works in PR after an unpaid internship.

Daddy Pig is probably the first of his family to go to uni and maybe met Mummy Pig at the pening her PR firm's new building as a young architect. His brother and his wife have obviously broad working class accents and Mummy Pig is pretty judgy about them. You never see his parents as they are most likely dead as working class life expectacies are much shorter.

Cookit Sun 10-Mar-19 18:35:19

I can’t imagine many people would want to buy much of Mr Fox’s crap though ..

TheOxymoron Sun 10-Mar-19 18:35:41

You have made me want to watch Peppa Pig!
I’m a fully grown adult with no small children and you have all made it sound like the best soap opera ever. grin

PristineCondition Sun 10-Mar-19 18:43:12

Nah the best episode is peppa learning to whistle.
The savage hanging up on Suzy is pure class

HighestMountains Sun 10-Mar-19 18:54:52

Daddy Pig is probably the first of his family to go to uni and maybe met Mummy Pig at the pening her PR firm's new building as a young architect

I agree he married up but they must have met a long time ago as there's a time capsule episode where he and Mummy Pig are at school together.

Peppa herself is really annoying but I think it's quite a funny show in some ways (like the Mr Wolf episode mentioned above). I also like how Rebecca is obsessed with carrots but also kind of embarrassed about it.

Its weird how all Peppa's friends are also older siblings (or only children). The only older child character is Cousin Chloe.

(Yes, I have watched a lot of Peppa Pig.)

wildbhoysmama Sun 10-Mar-19 18:56:56

Hopo grin. If daddy pig says " I'm a bit of an expert at these things' one more time I'll punch his face so hard.

NuffSaidSam Sun 10-Mar-19 19:04:44

'the best episode is peppa learning to whistle'

I love that one!

I quite like watching Peppa Pig.

SydneyCarton Sun 10-Mar-19 19:07:03

PristineCondition I love that episode, the click of the receiver as Peppa hangs up grin

Peppa and Suzy’s relationship is full of brilliant passive-aggressive bits,like Peppa telling Suzy what she’s going to do for talent day at playgroup and then Suzy pushes in first and steals her idea 😂

PaintBySticker Sun 10-Mar-19 19:09:11

I’m quite glad 3yo has moved on to a Ben & Holly. Similar style and same voice actors but much more enjoyable imo. Fave joke: mutiny on the Bunty.

MarieIVanArkleStinks Sun 10-Mar-19 19:10:00

Mummy Pig is a terrible snob. She's raising a miniature replica of herself and it will end with years of therapy unless she ensures the bratty Peppa gets a few more doses of Chloe. She should take Suzy along with her too. It's the least they both deserve!

Miss Rabbit rocks. She's the hero of the series but she should see a Union Rep tout suite: surely that's exploitation?

Grampy Rabbit is a fantasist and a very inattentive grandparent: why is he never with Rebecca or Richard?

And why does Mummy Rabbit give birth to twins who promptly disappear? Freddy Fox's dad got them in retribution, perhaps?

Oh, for another day at Peppa Pig world .... (floats off on a cloud of nostalgia).

Newyeardontcare Sun 10-Mar-19 19:15:40

@Hopoindown31 lol!

CaptainMyCaptain Sun 10-Mar-19 19:20:59

DGS used to love Pepper Pig. I don't think it had any adverse affect on his behaviour but he has a very RP accent considering he's Northern.

Needcoffeecoffeecoffee Sun 10-Mar-19 19:29:10

cookit but it's 'plastic oak' furniture! grin

I like the wolves moving next door but my favourite episode is the zoo one.
Madame gazelle is amazing

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Sun 10-Mar-19 19:33:15

DGS (2) has developed a passion for PP - especially George and Mr Dinosaur. We were watching it the other day when DGD (6) said in a considered way, 'Grandma, Peppa Pig is really boring isn't it?' grin

I'm afraid that my eyes narrowed like Mummy Pig's as I said through clenched teeth, 'You never noticed that before..??' hmm

jinglet Sun 10-Mar-19 19:34:05

Loving this thread!

OstrichRunning Sun 10-Mar-19 19:39:07

If Daddy Pig is an architect though, why does he say his job is to 'take numbers and calculate their low-bearing tangents', or something like, that in the episode where Peppa and George visit his office? Been vaguely bothered by this for past year -- because I no longer have a life--

DravenRainrix Sun 10-Mar-19 19:40:15

Madame gazelle is amazing

No no, Madame gazelle is a vampire...
Tue bing bing song is her way of lulling people into slumber so she can feed upon their blood ..

ShimmeringIce Sun 10-Mar-19 19:46:44

I assumed Miss Rabbit has a backstory, maybe gambling or addiction, to need all of those jobs. Hadn’t considered zero hours angry

dreamyflower Sun 10-Mar-19 19:47:37

Love this thread. My ds loves Peppa pig. My fav episode is the one with baby Alexander. Peppa is a spoilt brat though and I don't understand why some animals are in the zoo but some are not. Why is a hamster allowed to be a vet but a tortoise is a pet? Poor Daddy pig gets bullied a lot. Love the episode where Peppa sends a drawing to mr potato of daddy sat on the couch.

AnOwlCalledPlop Sun 10-Mar-19 19:53:31

Daddy Pig is a twat.

But the Elephant family are complete arseholes.

OstrichRunning Sun 10-Mar-19 19:53:33

transmute! He transmutes their low bearing tangents!!

Oysterbabe Sun 10-Mar-19 19:56:14

My 3 year old copies how Peppa speaks a lot. She says "I'm not doing that ANY more. Hm" and pouts and crosses her arms exactly the way Peppa does.
It's popular in America too and there was a thing on twitter the other day with parents saying their kids are starting to talk with a British accent.

HogMother Sun 10-Mar-19 19:57:23

That brat pig made ds behave like a brat. She is banned in this house.

TiredTodayZzzz Sun 10-Mar-19 20:00:13

youtu.be/y6i_KF9ShIg

gringrin

MerQueennotMaid Sun 10-Mar-19 20:01:47

“peace and harmony in all the world”

All the counties fighting in the sandbox is the best episode ever grin

Fiveredbricks Sun 10-Mar-19 20:02:54

Yabu for liking peppa bloody pig... confused But maybe that makes me stuck up?

dreichuplands Sun 10-Mar-19 20:05:56

I miss peppa pig, the Christmas episode with the tree is my favorite one.

Fiveredbricks Sun 10-Mar-19 20:06:53

@PaintBySticker Ben and Holly is awful! The Fairies treat the Elves like peasants and are really bloody obnoxious. It has representations of social class problems and some pretty lax writing, some of which could be flipped easily to have racist undertones.

Just like everyday sexism, little shitty cartoons subtly drill in horrid outdated attitudes but because it's Fairies and Elves it's ok confused

Newyeardontcare Sun 10-Mar-19 20:07:15

@DravenRainrix Yrs! Halloween episode! She has NO reflection! Very funny!

Newyeardontcare Sun 10-Mar-19 20:18:20

*yes

RabbityMcRabbit Sun 10-Mar-19 20:18:49

Things have really moved on with Peppa Pig since mine watched it!!

RedSpottyKettle Sun 10-Mar-19 20:19:36

I miss Peppa Pig. Paw Patrol is awful in comparison.

ChocChocButtons Sun 10-Mar-19 20:22:06

The best episode is when peppa hangs up on Suzy sheep! Because she can whistles

littlepeas Sun 10-Mar-19 20:24:20

Loads has happened in peppa pig since I last saw it!! grin It was always one of the ones that was ok to sit through.

macaroniandpizza Sun 10-Mar-19 20:33:28

I still remember the horrible day ds asked to watch peppa... it was a very upsetting conversation for me 😂😂 thank the lord he now likes ben and holly and fireman sam instead of the bratty wee piggy who would make a good bacon roll grin

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sun 10-Mar-19 20:45:20

DGS (2) has developed a passion for PP - especially George and Mr Dinosaur

If you're ever travelling anywhere near Hatfield, make sure you take him to see the Mr Dinosaur roundabout! With a top-notch diagram like that, I'm assuming that the head of the Herts road-planning dept is a MNer grin

Persimmonn Sun 10-Mar-19 21:36:44

My 3 children (all between 5 and 11) regularly revert back to Peppa Pig, then we have to watch it for days and days until they’ve every episode again. I don’t think they ever grow out of it 😩.

Funnily though, the eldest understands all the “in” jokes for adults now, so she’s seeing PP through brand new eyes.

Evilspiritgin Sun 10-Mar-19 21:51:25

Please pp don’t mention fireman Sam

The best peppa pig is the Scottish one on YouTube

OstrichRunning Sun 10-Mar-19 22:48:08

Totally agree re Paw Patrol it's so completely charmless by comparison. Peppa Pig is lovely as cartoons go imo

RLOU30 Sun 10-Mar-19 22:58:16

The best one is when the parrot goes to get granny pig for help and calls her a silly old bird

Crunchymum Sun 10-Mar-19 22:59:45

Your child must be 3 days old, if you love Peppa fucking pig???

Unihorn Sun 10-Mar-19 23:12:05

I used to hate Peppa but I tolerate it far more now. My health visitor also told me that the speech patterns used are supposed to be better for helping children speak than other shows, but she may just have been making me feel better after having my second baby and sticking the first one in front of the TV.

Definitely agree that the whistling episode is the best. I also quite like it when Peppa and Suzy fall out and refuse to apologise to each other first. Unfortunately my 2yo now likes to say 'we're not best friends any more' if I do something she doesn't like grin

PuddingsAreMyJam Sun 10-Mar-19 23:30:12

I assumed Miss Rabbit has a backstory, maybe gambling or addiction, to need all of those jobs. Hadn’t considered zero hours

I thought there was more than one Miss Rabbit. I'm sure there's at least two, the idea being that rabbits breed lots. So it's a different one doing a different job.

NuffSaidSam Sun 10-Mar-19 23:53:48

'Your child must be 3 days old, if you love Peppa fucking pig???'

Or just don't watch that much TV?

Peppa Pig is best enjoyed as an occasional treat. Too much and it does become wearing.

SurgeHopper Sun 10-Mar-19 23:59:46

My fave character is a close call between Mr. Wolf and Mrs. Hamster the vet.

Mr.Wolf's voice is so sexy blush

SurgeHopper Mon 11-Mar-19 00:00:43

vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/peppapig/images/f/f0/Mr_Wolf.png/revision/latest?cb=20171105184918

Hubba hubba

Smelborp Mon 11-Mar-19 00:06:10

@TheOxymoron it is enjoyable!

I also liked ‘desert island where Grampy rabbit makes a mark every time he thinks about cheese.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Mon 11-Mar-19 00:17:39

Peppa is a brat that needs to be bacon

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Mon 11-Mar-19 00:18:47

I stopped DD watching it. Its awful!

Peppa is a brat, her parents are useless and the voices and theme are more annoying than Mr Tumble!

fluffylittleclouds Mon 11-Mar-19 00:21:20

I love how mummy pig is the competent one doing DIY and speaking french etc whilst daddy ‘I’m an expert at this’ pig is totally useless at everything grin Good strong female role model for girls

7Pip Mon 11-Mar-19 00:27:28

Try TinyPop
I cry even hearing the name.

Grumpasaurus Mon 11-Mar-19 00:29:04

Oh I HATE PEPPA PIG.

She is such a brat.

Her parents are awful.

Her grandparents are rich and snobby.

I have got DS onto Ben and Holly which is marginally better, if you can get over the sexist and classist undertones (I can't, usually)...

mjnair Mon 11-Mar-19 00:30:08

Mr bull always concerns me - why does he rock up at all the nursery events but does not have a child of his own!

Movingtoplanetclanger Mon 11-Mar-19 00:38:13

Daddy pig is a total cocklodger. Remember, that time when he forgot to go to work because he thought Thursday was Saturday-wanker.

Mummy pig has anger issues but I can't really blame her. She does seems slightly snobby too.

Peppa is a cow and a fat shamer. I quite like her friendship with Suzy though, pretty realistic.

PP and blown and Ben and Holly have issues with gender and class stereotypes. I keep waiting for the elf revolution.

By far the worst Peppa pig is when daddy pig believes his balls will fall off if he plays football in a pink shirt though. Fuck off!

(Did I mention I'm not daddy pigs biggest fan?)

NannyPear Mon 11-Mar-19 00:39:16

Brilliant thread. I actually get quite happy when DS asks for Peppa over other shows (though I do have a soft spot for Fireman Sam).

Personally I'm a fan of Mummy Pig. I think she shows a lot of restraint and patience!

PatchworkElmer Mon 11-Mar-19 13:04:20

Movingtoplanetclanger that football episode is shocking, I couldn’t believe it when I first saw it!!

Movingtoplanetclanger Mon 11-Mar-19 14:21:59

I know Elmer dp has heard my rant about it million times and so avoids that episode when it appears in the Netflix queue. He doesn't like it either tbf to him.

outpinked Mon 11-Mar-19 14:22:50

I think Daddy Pig is emotionally abused.

nonevernotever Mon 11-Mar-19 14:27:38

Never watched Peppa Pig (though I might have to now) but surely it's "Load-bearing" rather than low-bearing?

kaytee87 Mon 11-Mar-19 14:31:10

@Modestandatinybitsexy links to the studies please?

AnOwlCalledPlop Mon 11-Mar-19 17:11:10

My neighbour just caught me doing Duggee’s rain dance in my living room blush🙈

AnOwlCalledPlop Mon 11-Mar-19 17:12:20

To be fair on daddy pig (there’s a sentence I never thought I’d say) he doesn’t object to the pinkness. He is concerned that his team are playing in white.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »