Talk

Advanced search

Scared to go to concerts

(23 Posts)
noodlehead15 Fri 08-Mar-19 09:29:30

After the manchester arena attack?

mbosnz Fri 08-Mar-19 09:34:15

I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about DH and I taking the girls to Ariana Grandez (Did I spell her last name wrong? I did, didn't I?! I'm so oooooooold!!) in August. But hey, lightning doesn't strike twice, right? Right?

ghostyslovesheets Fri 08-Mar-19 09:36:09

No

Birdsgottafly Fri 08-Mar-19 09:36:09

I think we've learned a lot of lessons amd we are taking certain things more seriously, so the likelihood of another big attack is less.

You can go on statistics, but I can understand wanting to eliminate unnecessary risk.

I still choose were I stand to cross the road, in busy main cities, because of the random, car-driving-into-pedestrians, attacks.

Likewise I do take an interest in the crowd in train stations etc after the random stabbings.

But I wouldn't let it stop me doing something I really wanted to.

Singlemumscum Fri 08-Mar-19 09:36:12

Well do you want to go to concerts? Is this fear affecting your life? Are you scared of all concerts? Would you consider going to a small venue to hear an unknown act or do you want to go to huge concerts in stadiums?

Really hard to say if you ABU on the basis of one sentence.

GrapesAreMyJam Fri 08-Mar-19 09:37:15

I went to a show two months after the MEN attack (not in Manchester but in Sheffield) and there was a much larger police presence and bags of a certain size we're not allowed in and everyone was searched. I was nervous before I went but was much more at ease once I was in the arena

Catscratchclub Fri 08-Mar-19 09:38:51

I get it. I took Ds to the X factor tour last week and I was nervous before hand.

I deliberately booked seats on an end so we could get out easily, wore flat shoes and didn’t take bags / coats so I was ready to just grab him and go if needed.

Security was tight getting in though, and I genuinely didn’t give it a thought once we were inside.

You can’t stop living your life, you just have to take sensible precautions I guess.

isseywithcats Fri 08-Mar-19 09:42:52

weve been to manchester arena twice since and security is a lot tighter before the bombing you just walked up the stairs and someone checked your tickets as you walked through the doors, now you have to go through a metal detector, empty your pockets and they check inside your handbag so its very doubtful if anyone could smuggle anything into the area , if you lead your life lettig these people influence your enjoyment of life to me they have won

tiredandcold Fri 08-Mar-19 09:44:55

Meh
If you stopped doing everything because of fear, you'd never leave the house
I grew up in Belfast during the 70's and 80's. I survived and never once did I not do something Incase it got bombed

SileneOliveira Fri 08-Mar-19 09:46:12

Security is very tight. At the nearest large venue in Glasgow you can't even get into the building without a ticket. And they search your bags. They were doing all of this before hte Manchester attack too.

But very unreasonable to let a fear stop you doing something you'd otherwise like to do.

NotACleverName Fri 08-Mar-19 09:49:32

I went to a gig, in Manchester, less than a week after the attack. You can’t live your life in fear.

Titsywoo Fri 08-Mar-19 09:53:17

Nope I never even think about it. Have taken my DD and friends to concerts since and been to several with DH. I never let things like that stop me.

SuziQ10 Fri 08-Mar-19 10:09:55

I would go to a concert in a big stadium but wouldn't want to take dd.

We are taking her to a Jess Glynne concert in a forest this summer. Which I feel better about.

AleFailTrail Fri 08-Mar-19 10:15:30

The only person I know who has stopped attending concerts out of fear was there, is usually the first one out of an arena but her cousins who she was with had dropped something. They stopped to look. Boom. She was lucky but she won’t enter concert halls

HarrysOwl Fri 08-Mar-19 10:17:37

Statistically, it's really, really unlikely to be involved in a terrorist attack - it feels like they're commonplace with the news coverage but really, you're much more likely to be safe & sound. smile

kc1990 Fri 08-Mar-19 10:19:01

My daughter who is 10 was really scared. I had to tell her no matter where we are there's always a risk of anything and to live her life without the fear as that's what these people want

SapphireSeptember Fri 08-Mar-19 10:31:02

I went to a gig not long after the bombing, I wasn't scared (although one of my colleagues insisted on telling me how 'brave' I was.) My thought process was I was in London, possibly the safest place to be less than a month after a terrorist attack. I was not missing that gig for anything!

viques Fri 08-Mar-19 10:32:48

You could always only go to Taylor Swift concerts and sit near the front. Apparently (and of course this isn't a meaningless publicity stunt, no, no ,not at all) she has taken to carrying around army grade wound dressings in case of a fan being stabbed or shot and her security heavies allowing her to administer first aid instead of doing what they are paid for and getting her out of the vicinity! grin

Thousands of concerts, theatre shows, football matches, rugby matches etc etc have passed off peacefully since the Manchester arena atrocity. By all means be aware of your surroundings, but realise the chances of being attacked or injured is minuscule. Part of the reason for random attacks like Manchester and London Bridge is to engender fear, by allowing fear to stop you going about your lawful, daily business you are handing terrorists success on a plate.

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 08-Mar-19 10:35:49

I worry more about football matches to be honest. DH tells me security is not always amazing.

Basecamp65 Fri 08-Mar-19 10:41:24

No

I go to gigs at least once a month - some large some small - off to one in London tonight.

I'm 1000's of times more likely to be killed or hurt on the drive there.

I was at a major open air gig two days after the Manchester attack in Birmingham - there were so many armed police around I have never felt more scared in my life. Rather than making me feel safe it meant every time I turned around there was a someone reminding me of what had happened and I had to keep reminding myself it was almost certainly perfectly safe with or without their presence just as it had been every other time I attended one of these types of events. Literally never give it a second thought going anywhere or doing anything until some muppet brings this all back up again.

Fear of any sort of crime restricts people's lives far far far more than is proportionate to the actual risk.

AmethystRaven Fri 08-Mar-19 10:44:30

I know what you mean but then I think I'm far far more likely to die or be hurt in an accident on the way there or back, and that wouldn't stop me. If you think about the numbers, i.e how many people were injured in the Manchester attack v. how many people have safely gone to concerts the odds are incredibly slim. YANBU though, I always feel a bit anxious in big arenas I always have.

caughtinanet Fri 08-Mar-19 10:48:49

I assume you aren't old enough to have lived through IRA bombings, you'd never do anything if you avoided places where there'd been a bomb.

SteelRiver Fri 08-Mar-19 10:53:11

I can understand your anxiety, but think how many concerts have taken place all around the country since then. Please don't let this tiny number of extremists spoil your enjoyment of wonderful things like this. That would be letting them win.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »