Talk

Advanced search

to wonder what sort of people can do this?

(6 Posts)
marriedtoanoperanut Fri 08-Mar-19 08:50:52

Two men recently came to my elderly (mid 90's) MIL house on some pretext of checking the radiators showed some ID which the live in carer thought looked dodgy but despite the carer saying don't let them in my MIL overrode her. They went round the house and appeared to have stolen some money. It's wasn't much in the grand scheme of things so wont impact on her life at all although of course they didn't know this and for some pensioners it could have been a significant loss but it's the principle of the thing. I just keep wondering what sort of people do this sort if thing? Are they totally devoid of any conscience? Do they not have parents themselves? How do they sleep at night? Are they so drugged up that they lost ay empathy for anyone else?

GreatDuckCookery6211 Fri 08-Mar-19 08:54:59

Are they totally devoid of any conscience? Do they not have parents themselves? How do they sleep at night? Are they so drugged up that they lost ay empathy for anyone else?

Probably one or more of those things. Horrible excuses of human beings.

pippistrelle Fri 08-Mar-19 09:13:09

I can't understand it at all. And how does one horrible creature find another willing to be equally horrible? How does that conversation go?

I hope your mother-in-law is okay, OP.

Birdsgottafly Fri 08-Mar-19 09:17:26

"Are they so drugged up that they lost ay empathy for anyone else?"

Don't assume they are drugged up.

There are families that are brought up to rob who they can and its encouraged from an early age.

They are on the look out for potential victims, constantly.

I think the Carer should have been more proactive. They could have insisted on making a quick phone call, because they were also put in danger.

marriedtoanoperanut Fri 08-Mar-19 09:26:53

"I think the Carer should have been more proactive."
My mother in law is very difficult and got very stroppy and started shouting when the carer refused to let them in saying it was "her house" and "she was in charge" etc. I wouldn't want to be a carer for all the money in the world.
"And how does one horrible creature find another willing to be equally horrible?"
I think this as well. Apparently they weren't kids/young men either as I think my MIL would have been more suspicious.

thedisorganisedmum Fri 08-Mar-19 09:37:02

thief are scum of the earth, and don't give a damn about anyone. They couldn't care less about the upset, the fear, the problem they create.

There are famous cases of people being robbed whist being at their child funeral, GOSH Christmas presents disappeared one year, elderly (or not so elderly) people scared to death after a robbery.

They don't care about anyone but themselves, and possibly their immediate family, see everybody else as the enemy.

Just read the hatred of some posters for anyone who is a bit better off than themselves, and how anyone earning a bit more than minimum wage deserve anything negative they get. It's exactly the same mindset.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »