Talk

Advanced search

To want super amazing coffee every morning

(116 Posts)
chillimartini Thu 07-Mar-19 20:09:39

Can anyone recommend a good coffee machine (not the filter type) that will give me coffee shop coffee?! A small one as I live alone
TIA!

sackrifice Fri 08-Mar-19 19:11:15

I just want a nice coffee.

Aeropress or a stove top then.

threesenoughthanks Fri 08-Mar-19 19:00:19

I don't think I am a connoisseur to be honest. I know I don't want to do the destroy the planet pod thing. I just want a nice coffee.

Smotheroffive Fri 08-Mar-19 18:47:07

Oh yes! Tick, tick, tick,and especially about the chocolate croissant!!

burritofan Fri 08-Mar-19 18:44:38

If you want to hasten the environment towards its doom and drink rank dishwater coffee, get a Nespresso! Otherwise just get ready-ground coffee, odds are you won't taste the difference from freshly ground beans unless you're particularly connoisseury already. The trick is all in heating the milk and having a nice ceramic mug and a chocolate croissant, anyway.

Smotheroffive Fri 08-Mar-19 18:37:52

Yeah,but don't bother, its extra hassle and you really won't notice the difference providing you buy decent ground coffee, and know which kind of bean you prefer

threesenoughthanks Fri 08-Mar-19 18:32:31

So if I buy beans to grind myself can I then use that in my filter machine? Sorry for being dim on this subject.

Haffiana Fri 08-Mar-19 18:26:34

If you love good coffee then get a Nespresso. If you previously drank instant or if you are a fan of Starbucks full of syrup then a Tassimo will wow you, but it won't wow a proper coffee lover.

If you want to go the whole hog then get a Jura.

Smotheroffive Fri 08-Mar-19 18:13:00

For smooth, personally, I would avoid filter and percolate instead, its percolating that has always given me wonderful aromaful rich coffee. Percolator every time, pure coffee, water, and milk/cream.

I used to grind my beans, but honestly, really didn't notice any discernable difference, really didn't.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 08-Mar-19 17:24:50

You need to buy whole beans. Ready ground coffee is just coffee that died for no reason ☕️

GeorgeTheBleeder Fri 08-Mar-19 17:21:47

Don't buy ground coffee!

threesenoughthanks Fri 08-Mar-19 17:12:16

While you coffee experts are on here can I ask for recommendations. I have a filter machine and have tried LOADS of different fresh ground coffees but still not found "the one". I like my coffee strong but smooth if that's not a contradiction. Any suggestions?

TheTurnOfTheScrew Fri 08-Mar-19 12:19:22

I have a Bialetti stovetop and a cafetiere. I agree with those saying it's the beans, and the freshness of the grinding that makes a difference. we only grind a wee bit at a time - twice daily generally.

Waveysnail Fri 08-Mar-19 11:42:13

I love both Nespresso and tassimo but would say tassimo first as it's cheaper and you can buy pods in supermarket.

DoodleLab Fri 08-Mar-19 11:37:47

Feldgrind + Aeropress here.

Nearly bought a B2C machine, so glad I didn't. Trying to avoid big gadgets for environmental reasons, which also means the pods are out. They claim to be recyclable, but you have to parcel them up and send them off, with the packaging and emissions associated with that (or drive to a collection point). Then, they are made of composite materials, so tricky to disassemble. The energy used disassembling them and melting them down must be huge in relation to anything gained by recycling them. Just another pointless polluting thing from extreme civilisation that doesn't even give you great coffee angry

I did have to buy a new bung for the Aeropress after a year. They're available from the Aerobie & Amazon websites for about £6. I made the mistake of leaving it unemptied by the sink too many times, which weakened its integrity. Rinse it out immediately and don't store with the inner section inside the outer.

gingerandsmall Fri 08-Mar-19 11:35:49

I have a little DeLonghi one. I live alone and it's perfect for me

Flavabobble Fri 08-Mar-19 11:30:01

I’ve got a stove top, espresso/cappuccino machine and a cafetière.
But I love my aeropress the most. Quick, easy to clean and takes up little room.

Snugglepiggy Fri 08-Mar-19 11:25:03

Italian stove top.add a bit of water if I want less intense or larger mug.Top up with frothed milk.lavazza frother with two settings.lively and have to wait a bit longer but have my shower.And big factor for me no pods to throw in bin.

MissEliza Fri 08-Mar-19 11:13:27

Is it possible to do an Americano with a Nespresso machine?

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Fri 08-Mar-19 11:10:44

user1474894224
Thank you grin. I love it and use it several times each day.
I really like the fact that it is built to last for ever. I contacted the company who serviced it in case it was too old and they replied that it was only machines from the 1920s where they struggled with some parts!
It's also (as far as I know) the only coffee machine that's been in both a James Bond film and AbFab.

user1474894224 Fri 08-Mar-19 10:57:37

@Grumpyoldpersonwithcats that's a seriously good looking machine.

OddestSock Fri 08-Mar-19 08:55:27

Frother. Not geothermal

OddestSock Fri 08-Mar-19 08:55:05

We've got a bean to cup (delonghi) machine and it's fab. It gets used every day and makes lovely lattes and hot chocolates (using the milk geothermal!)

NewPapaGuinea Fri 08-Mar-19 08:52:37

Do not keep ground coffee in the fridge. Creates too much moisture.

WhoTFIsAlanBrazil Fri 08-Mar-19 08:38:31

I have the Nespresso Essenza, it is brilliant and has a very small footprint
I got it for £1 as part of the Nespresso subscription, and I pay £18 a month for capsules (about 50 capsules which is plenty).

I absolutely love it

Sparklingbrook Fri 08-Mar-19 08:33:18

I have a Tassimo and love it. there are some places that recycle the pods.
I have mentioned having one before but got beaten back by the coffee snobs. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »