Talk

Advanced search

To want super amazing coffee every morning

(116 Posts)
chillimartini Thu 07-Mar-19 20:09:39

Can anyone recommend a good coffee machine (not the filter type) that will give me coffee shop coffee?! A small one as I live alone
TIA!

MissUGirl Thu 07-Mar-19 21:21:37

Bodum, buy good coffee beans and a grinder, keep coffee beans in fridge and buy cream for the coffee, not milk.

Pixie2015 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:23:24

Love tassimo and the Costa pods

Wallywobbles Thu 07-Mar-19 21:23:56

Another vote for aeropress. Environmentally friendly too.

Babysharkdododont Thu 07-Mar-19 21:24:22

I've got a Sage bean to cup machine, expensive outlay but we've more than recouped the cost on take out coffee.
Absolutely don't buy beans at a supermarket, find a local supplier and buy beans that have been roasted in the last few days, the difference in huge.

sackrifice Thu 07-Mar-19 21:24:27

Aeropress here. We take it on our holidays wherever we go. It is bloody marvellous.

GeorgeTheBleeder Thu 07-Mar-19 21:25:20

A manual coffee grinder and a pour over coffee filter. (Better than an Aeropress!) Beans delivered as needed. Full cream milk.

Very, very best part of the day.

buckeejit Thu 07-Mar-19 21:25:39

Don't get pods. Aeroprress is vg & v much more environmentally friendly

buckeejit Thu 07-Mar-19 21:26:06

Get an electric grinder for your beans though

Wearywithteens Thu 07-Mar-19 21:27:13

Nespresso machine - flat white every morning - delicious!

JaneEyre07 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:27:43

I've had a Tassimo but got bored with the pods so changed to a Dolce Gusto. I like the pods better but still prefer using a cafetiere with ground coffee and a milk frother (Bodum). Somehow tastes more like "proper" coffee.

We had a Nespresso machine at a hotel once - the pods were revolting, so strong and fake tasting. Wasn't impressed at all.

Vicliz24 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:29:06

I have a beautiful insulated French press use great quality coffee and I use cream . Perfect and environmentally friendly

concretejungle Thu 07-Mar-19 21:29:35

<crashes thread>

What's best for a black coffee? Americano or similar (I'm dairy intolerant)

wasgoingmadinthecountry Thu 07-Mar-19 21:31:05

No to pods.
I have a Pavoni (as seen on AbFab) www.myespresso.co.uk/shop/browse-by-brand/la-pavoni/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4OHXv_zw4AIVypPtCh0rsgkhEAAYASAAEgLXO_D_BwE

But in the morning I use a simple plastic filter with a paper in over my coffee cup. Perfection. Never have the water quite boiling, and steep the coffee for a while. Use decent coffee.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:32:29

Costa coffees awful so anything would be an improvement.

Buy a burr grinder, a moka or espresso pump. And nice arabica beans.

ChampooPapi Thu 07-Mar-19 21:35:36

@Bananasarenottheonlyfruit agreed! those pods are bullsh*t, so bad for the environment and really expensive in the long run. Getting a mini proper machine and just buying the beans is the way!

BlitheringIdiots Thu 07-Mar-19 21:36:55

Nespresso here. And send the pods back for recycling. Would never go back to instant. I drink black coffee

Ktay Thu 07-Mar-19 21:39:37

We have a Krups Espressaria bean to cup machine, it’s ace. So lovely to just press a button first thing and get a lovely coffee straight away. Yes you do get a crema.

BluebellCockleshell123 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:40:29

I use an aeropress at work but never get as good a crema that I get on our espresso machine at home (cheap Delonghi one).

SinkGirl Thu 07-Mar-19 21:50:24

Don’t buy a De’longhi bean to cup - they are good but their customer service is shocking when they break. We had one for several years that developed a specific fault. Decided to replace it with the same model as it had worked well for years - less than six months on it developed the same fault. Has taken me weeks to get them to pick it up and now it’s going to take up to a month to repair. Problem is that once you’re used to brilliant coffee at home, it really sucks when you can’t have it.

I hate pod machines so I’d either get a stove top or a bean to cup depending on whether you can afford the latter.

SummerHouse Thu 07-Mar-19 21:54:02

Aeropress, aeropress, aeropress....

About £20 and perfect for one.

Ottermum23 Thu 07-Mar-19 22:02:53

Nespresso here.

Alwayscheerful Thu 07-Mar-19 22:03:33

@GeorgeTheBleeder where do you order your beans from?
I use a hand grinder, made in Scotland in small batches and recommended by another poster.
I have a drawer full of cafetières in several sizes.
Maybe I should try an Aeropress.

Alwayscheerful Thu 07-Mar-19 22:05:07

It's a Feldgrind grinder I have just checked.

GeorgeTheBleeder Thu 07-Mar-19 22:09:30

envy I can never get one of those made in Scotland in small batches grinders! They're in such short supply. (I have a Porlex in the meantime. It's the light of my life.)

Beans usually from Hasbean. I keep meaning to branch out but they more than satisfy my needs right now.

ViserionTheDragon Thu 07-Mar-19 22:09:41

I used to be a Nespresso fan but it's not to the same standard as shop bought coffee. Another vote for a bean to cup machine, plus an electric grinder. Bella Barista do a great range of coffee machines and coffee beans, the Raniclio Silvia is a good entry level machine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »