Talk

Advanced search

To want super amazing coffee every morning

(116 Posts)
chillimartini Thu 07-Mar-19 20:09:39

Can anyone recommend a good coffee machine (not the filter type) that will give me coffee shop coffee?! A small one as I live alone
TIA!

howwillwedeal Thu 07-Mar-19 20:10:56

Nespresso, love it! Have a mini one in the bedroom, full size in the kitchen. Loads of pod options and the used pods are recycled.

Cakeisbest Thu 07-Mar-19 20:51:34

Tassimo, love the Costa range of pods.

Nanasueathome Thu 07-Mar-19 20:52:53

I second Nespresso
I’ve just bought a Vertuo machine....it’s fabulous

TheMagicTorch Thu 07-Mar-19 20:54:26

Another vote for tassimo, easy convenient and brilliant range of pods available

Crimson72 Thu 07-Mar-19 20:54:27

Why not get the filter type? I have one and it makes very good coffee!

foxsbiscuit Thu 07-Mar-19 20:54:41

Nespresso. The thought of it gets me out of bed in the mornings.

Flurgle Thu 07-Mar-19 20:55:57

Aeropress.
I have a lovely coffee every morning and it makes me happy! More environmentally friendly than pods too.
I also have a frother for extra loveliness...

crunchie12 Thu 07-Mar-19 20:57:02

Another vote for Nespresso!

Hillarious Thu 07-Mar-19 20:58:31

or an Italian stove-top coffee maker. Cheap, small, no pods. And you can take it camping!

Littleoakhorn Thu 07-Mar-19 20:59:49

What sort of coffee shop coffee? I’d buy a filter and a milk frother. That way you can decide which coffee to buy instead of spending loads on throwaway plastic pods.

Marmite27 Thu 07-Mar-19 20:59:53

We have a nespresso and an aerolatte milk thing. We had a tassimo for the milky coffees and hot chocolates, but they’re disgusting!

asparalite Thu 07-Mar-19 21:00:54

Aeropress totally awesome!

Marmite27 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:01:18

We do have an areolatte, but I actually meant aeroccini.

lifetothefull Thu 07-Mar-19 21:01:25

Also an italian stove top. Perfect for one and it doesn't take up loads of space on the side. I heat up half a cup of milk in microwave to go with it.

Marmite27 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:03:04

Oh and we have stainless steel refillable pods for it, so no plastic pod waste as someone mentioned.

Though if throwaway is your thing, the Aldi compatible pods are pretty passable at £1 odd for 8 (I think, could be 10).

Bananasarenottheonlyfruit Thu 07-Mar-19 21:03:41

Get a bean to cup machine. Probably a little pricier upfront, but much cheaper in the long run with no pods and the associated environmental waste.

Nomorechickens Thu 07-Mar-19 21:05:33

Aeropress. Keep ground coffee in the fridge or better still the freezer to keep it fresh.

Aquamarine1029 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:05:35

Good beans and a French press is all you need. Those machines are rubbish.

burritofan Thu 07-Mar-19 21:05:36

Seconding or thirding the Italian stovetop type! Chic, delicious coffee, dead easy & easy to clean, no wasteful pods.

Hiphopopotamus Thu 07-Mar-19 21:07:44

Italian stovetop - best coffee ever. Blows nespresso out of the water and so much more environmentally friendly

careermumofone Thu 07-Mar-19 21:08:35

Does the aeropress or a bean to cup machine produce the lovely crema that the Nespresso machines do? I've been meaning to upgrade my now slightly broken Nespresso machine but don't know if I'll like the bean to cup machine coffee as much...

Bananasarenottheonlyfruit Thu 07-Mar-19 21:15:04

Ours certainly does. DH always says it was the best present I have ever bought him.

borntobequiet Thu 07-Mar-19 21:15:52

I have a stovetop, a barista type machine and a cafetière. Each makes very nice coffee in a slightly different way. The trick is to use good quality coffee, and to grind it yourself if you can be bothered.
I was going to try an Aeropress but I Googled and it looked like too much bother.

NannyR Thu 07-Mar-19 21:20:33

I use an aeropress and a hand grinder, it makes fantastic coffee, aldi beans are great if you are on a budget. It does take a little bit more faffing than just pressing a button but it's worth it and you can customise your coffee by tinkering about with the amount of coffee, temperature and brew time.

MissUGirl Thu 07-Mar-19 21:21:37

Bodum, buy good coffee beans and a grinder, keep coffee beans in fridge and buy cream for the coffee, not milk.

Pixie2015 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:23:24

Love tassimo and the Costa pods

Wallywobbles Thu 07-Mar-19 21:23:56

Another vote for aeropress. Environmentally friendly too.

Babysharkdododont Thu 07-Mar-19 21:24:22

I've got a Sage bean to cup machine, expensive outlay but we've more than recouped the cost on take out coffee.
Absolutely don't buy beans at a supermarket, find a local supplier and buy beans that have been roasted in the last few days, the difference in huge.

sackrifice Thu 07-Mar-19 21:24:27

Aeropress here. We take it on our holidays wherever we go. It is bloody marvellous.

GeorgeTheBleeder Thu 07-Mar-19 21:25:20

A manual coffee grinder and a pour over coffee filter. (Better than an Aeropress!) Beans delivered as needed. Full cream milk.

Very, very best part of the day.

buckeejit Thu 07-Mar-19 21:25:39

Don't get pods. Aeroprress is vg & v much more environmentally friendly

buckeejit Thu 07-Mar-19 21:26:06

Get an electric grinder for your beans though

Wearywithteens Thu 07-Mar-19 21:27:13

Nespresso machine - flat white every morning - delicious!

JaneEyre07 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:27:43

I've had a Tassimo but got bored with the pods so changed to a Dolce Gusto. I like the pods better but still prefer using a cafetiere with ground coffee and a milk frother (Bodum). Somehow tastes more like "proper" coffee.

We had a Nespresso machine at a hotel once - the pods were revolting, so strong and fake tasting. Wasn't impressed at all.

Vicliz24 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:29:06

I have a beautiful insulated French press use great quality coffee and I use cream . Perfect and environmentally friendly

concretejungle Thu 07-Mar-19 21:29:35

<crashes thread>

What's best for a black coffee? Americano or similar (I'm dairy intolerant)

wasgoingmadinthecountry Thu 07-Mar-19 21:31:05

No to pods.
I have a Pavoni (as seen on AbFab) www.myespresso.co.uk/shop/browse-by-brand/la-pavoni/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4OHXv_zw4AIVypPtCh0rsgkhEAAYASAAEgLXO_D_BwE

But in the morning I use a simple plastic filter with a paper in over my coffee cup. Perfection. Never have the water quite boiling, and steep the coffee for a while. Use decent coffee.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:32:29

Costa coffees awful so anything would be an improvement.

Buy a burr grinder, a moka or espresso pump. And nice arabica beans.

ChampooPapi Thu 07-Mar-19 21:35:36

@Bananasarenottheonlyfruit agreed! those pods are bullsh*t, so bad for the environment and really expensive in the long run. Getting a mini proper machine and just buying the beans is the way!

BlitheringIdiots Thu 07-Mar-19 21:36:55

Nespresso here. And send the pods back for recycling. Would never go back to instant. I drink black coffee

Ktay Thu 07-Mar-19 21:39:37

We have a Krups Espressaria bean to cup machine, it’s ace. So lovely to just press a button first thing and get a lovely coffee straight away. Yes you do get a crema.

BluebellCockleshell123 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:40:29

I use an aeropress at work but never get as good a crema that I get on our espresso machine at home (cheap Delonghi one).

SinkGirl Thu 07-Mar-19 21:50:24

Don’t buy a De’longhi bean to cup - they are good but their customer service is shocking when they break. We had one for several years that developed a specific fault. Decided to replace it with the same model as it had worked well for years - less than six months on it developed the same fault. Has taken me weeks to get them to pick it up and now it’s going to take up to a month to repair. Problem is that once you’re used to brilliant coffee at home, it really sucks when you can’t have it.

I hate pod machines so I’d either get a stove top or a bean to cup depending on whether you can afford the latter.

SummerHouse Thu 07-Mar-19 21:54:02

Aeropress, aeropress, aeropress....

About £20 and perfect for one.

Ottermum23 Thu 07-Mar-19 22:02:53

Nespresso here.

Alwayscheerful Thu 07-Mar-19 22:03:33

@GeorgeTheBleeder where do you order your beans from?
I use a hand grinder, made in Scotland in small batches and recommended by another poster.
I have a drawer full of cafetières in several sizes.
Maybe I should try an Aeropress.

Alwayscheerful Thu 07-Mar-19 22:05:07

It's a Feldgrind grinder I have just checked.

GeorgeTheBleeder Thu 07-Mar-19 22:09:30

envy I can never get one of those made in Scotland in small batches grinders! They're in such short supply. (I have a Porlex in the meantime. It's the light of my life.)

Beans usually from Hasbean. I keep meaning to branch out but they more than satisfy my needs right now.

ViserionTheDragon Thu 07-Mar-19 22:09:41

I used to be a Nespresso fan but it's not to the same standard as shop bought coffee. Another vote for a bean to cup machine, plus an electric grinder. Bella Barista do a great range of coffee machines and coffee beans, the Raniclio Silvia is a good entry level machine.

IloveJudgeJudy Thu 07-Mar-19 22:17:10

I know you said you didn't want a filter machine but I got this at the end of December and honestly it's one of the best things I've bought. It makes making coffee so easy and so I use it more. I also use warm milk which makes such a big difference to the taste.

GruciusMalfoy Thu 07-Mar-19 22:22:55

I have a pod machine, but find the coffee wishy washy, and the plastic waste makes me uncomfortable these days. For daily coffee, a cafetiere and ground coffee is all I need. Though now intrigued by the thought of grinding my own beans (ooh-err) after reading this thread.

winsinbin Thu 07-Mar-19 22:23:55

For every day use a pour over filter that cost about £4.00. At weekends I use an electric filter machine that cost about £20.00 ten years ago. They are quick, cheap and delicious and all the waste is compostable. I think the rise of the pod machines, with the hugely inflated cost of the coffee and the plastic waste they generate is a triumph of marketing over common sense.

LakeFlyPie Thu 07-Mar-19 22:25:37

My Baby Gaggia machine gives me immense coffee happiness although must admit good beans in a cafetière or stove top pot make for a great cup. I recently invested in a Sage burr grinder which means I can explore more bean options now.
I enjoy the ritual of the preparation of a good cup of coffee, the grind, tamping, brewing and milk frothing etc, makes me feel I've earned the pleasure 🙂

FinalNameChange Thu 07-Mar-19 22:27:47

A bean-to-cup - we have an earlier model of this one:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001EOMZ5E/ref=asc_df_B001EOMZ5E58710440/?hvlocphy=9050371&linkCode=df0&hvptwo&psc=1&hvnetw=g&hvadid=232026297330&creative=22110&hvpone&hvlocint&creativeASIN=B001EOMZ5E&th=1&hvpos=1o1&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl&hvqmt&tag=mumsnetforum-21&hvtargid=pla-385805384817&hvrand=1759997549977045716

A bit more expensive than a pod machine, but you can use any whole beans as per your budget. No pods to recycle or bin, pays for itself in time. We've found ours very reliable.

groundcontroltomontydon Thu 07-Mar-19 22:32:46

Another vote for the cheap Delonghi (sp?) espresso machine and a burr grinder. Best long espresso ever - better than any coffee shop! Pod coffee smells and tastes weird imo.

bert3400 Thu 07-Mar-19 22:33:10

Brought this coffee machine 4 years ago . There is no environmental impact as with the pod machines , yes it's expensive but it's so worth it to get fantastic coffee everyday

ifeellikeanidiot Thu 07-Mar-19 22:33:52

I never understand the fuss about the pod machines. I've never had a good coffee from one. I would genuinely rather have instant blush

I've been using stove top pots all my life and love the coffee they make. Would love to try an aeropress, but can't be fussed with grinding my own beans.

MyBabyBoyBlue Thu 07-Mar-19 22:36:38

Nespresso, it's my incentive to get out of bed in the morning. My mum has a tassimo but the coffee to my taste is weak and bitter.

BadTigerKitty Thu 07-Mar-19 22:37:44

Baby Gaggia all the way. Love my coffee.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Thu 07-Mar-19 22:46:47

Just get an Italian stove pot and some lavazza
Better than those bloody POD’s

user1474894224 Thu 07-Mar-19 22:48:13

Definitely a stovetop if you like strong coffee. I find the pod machines are really watery. I would like a bean to cup but haven't yet saved enough pennies......(We have had plug in espresso machines which lose pressure after a while and also pod machines which don't make great coffee and produce a lot of waste packaging)

Redact Thu 07-Mar-19 22:51:15

We have a delonghi eletta cappuccino bean to cup machine. I love it, it's one of our best buys, used every day. Produces a lovely crema. Any recommendations for beans? We use a variety from Aldi, Lidl and Costco. Some of the Costco ones can be a bit too oily for the grinder. Liking the sound of the small batch Scottish coffee bean grinder, off to do some research!

sackrifice Thu 07-Mar-19 22:53:56

Would love to try an aeropress, but can't be fussed with grinding my own beans

It isn't essential! we just use the same coffee as a stove top.

Cleanmywindows Thu 07-Mar-19 23:00:23

Really depends on a) how much time you're willing to invest in coffee making, b) what the ideal coffee shop youre trying to emulate is (if you care about these things, there is a world of difference between the mainstream and the good) and c) whether your chosen coffee comes with milk or not.

Puffthemagicdragongoestobed Thu 07-Mar-19 23:06:10

We have a gaggia classic and this is hands down the closest we got to shop bought flat white. We also have a nespresso with reusable pods for when we don’t have much time and an Italian stove top which we take camping, together with an aero latte to froth up the milk.
I wouldn’t buy the nespresso again, the pods are just so wasteful and the reusable pods are very expensive. Have not tried the bean to cup machines but somehow love the mechanics of the gaggia, it’s just so satisfying.

DameFanny Thu 07-Mar-19 23:06:26

Filter machine with a timer so it starts 5 minutes before your alarm goes off.

Because the best real coffee is the real coffee someone else makes for you.

Even if that other person is last-night-you.

Aroundtheworldandback Thu 07-Mar-19 23:14:35

I second a bean to cup machine. Used to use Nesspresso pods and loved them but now have a built in Miele (came with kitchen) and there’s no comparison, it’s the highlight of my day. Love a strong coffee in the morning.

Brugmansia Thu 07-Mar-19 23:48:09

Bean to cup here too. We have a Sage. It was pricey but is amazing. We have fresh roasted beans delivered by Pact.

Before we had an aeropress. It was good but i found it a faff. Also they don't last brilliantly. The seal weakened over time.

We also have a stove top for camping which is good.

ALargeGinPlease Fri 08-Mar-19 00:09:41

I use a deLonghi bean to cup machine which is great...but half the 'great coffee' is in the bean. I have tried many brands and i enjoy a bean from peru , as an great all rounder. I get one from Amazon, after my local health food stock had problems with their supply chain,

HostessTrolley Fri 08-Mar-19 00:16:10

@redact - coffee beans are a personal taste thing but I keep coming back to lavazza rosso beans for my delonghi bean to cup. I buy them by the kilo, generally from amazon. I just got a kg for £9.49 last week which is the best price I’ve seen

SophoclesTheFox Fri 08-Mar-19 00:19:41

My delonghi magnifica bean to cup machine filled with cafe direct espresso beans makes me two things every morning: delicious coffee with a perfect crema; and very happy grin

I’ve seriously never loved a household item more.

cloudymelonade Fri 08-Mar-19 00:32:16

Aeropress or Chemex if you want filter/Americano style.
Any high pressure espresso machine if you know how to use one.

IMO it's much more important to get the right beans

steff13 Fri 08-Mar-19 00:35:33

Good beans and a French press is all you need.

This. ^^

PhilODox Fri 08-Mar-19 00:50:30

Sorry, is a French press the same as a cafetiere? Or is it something different?
The Italian stovetops, do they only make espresso, or do they do ordinary coffee also?

dreichuplands Fri 08-Mar-19 01:28:19

I have a pod machine and have bought a little reusable coffee pod that you put ground coffee in. Single cup coffee, no plastic waste.

SurgeHopper Fri 08-Mar-19 01:47:06

So what I'm getting from this is that I can keep my Bodum, but should really buy fresh beans and a grinder?

I refuse to buy those pods

SurgeHopper Fri 08-Mar-19 01:47:37

Sorry, is a French press the same as a cafetiere? Or is it something different?

^^

Same thing, Phil.

TakingtheLeap Fri 08-Mar-19 03:45:28

@PhilODox

Italian stovetops make a short, strong coffee (ours doesn't quite make espresso), but you can just add hot water to make basically an Americano.

I love the ritual of hand-grinding beans, filling the stovepot, and waiting for it to do its magic. And delicious coffee at the end!

TakingtheLeap Fri 08-Mar-19 03:46:50

(That said, not sure I'd do stovetop if I had electric hobs. Super quick on gas and easy to adjust if you overdo heat. I'd just have slow and/or burnt coffee on electric...).

Smotheroffive Fri 08-Mar-19 04:54:19

Consider the environment when throwing away masses of plastic every day.

Stove top Italian percolator all the way. The same as the expensive machine. Hate nespresso and all those ridiculous pods, lazy and horrid

BouleBaker Fri 08-Mar-19 06:01:50

Nespresso here. I like different coffees at different times of day.

I do have an aero press but am I doing something wrong with it? The water seems to rush out the bottom about as quickly as I fill it.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Fri 08-Mar-19 06:35:36

I have had a Pavoni machine for nearly 25 years (just had it serviced for the first time).
Makes brilliant espresso, cappuccino, latte etc. No waste from pods etc. They last forever and it looks great! And why buy a coffee machine without an eagle? grin

sackrifice Fri 08-Mar-19 07:15:55

I do have an aero press but am I doing something wrong with it? The water seems to rush out the bottom about as quickly as I fill it.

You need to use the inverted method.

MinnieMountain Fri 08-Mar-19 07:19:27

Another Aeropress fan. We take ours on holiday too so we always have decent coffee.

ivykaty44 Fri 08-Mar-19 07:23:26

Although I love my tassimo, I think the pods are limited if you don’t want or take sugar in your coffee - which I don’t

I’d get a nesspreso as there is more selection of coffee

NotAnotherJaffaCake Fri 08-Mar-19 07:25:38

I have a Nespresso and a cafetière. Cafetière for a mug of morning coffee, Nespresso for everything else, I drink coffee black.

I don’t like the stovetop machines as they make coffee too burnt ( the water has to be boiling for it to work), and the aero press is too faffy.

Would really like to buy a Jura bean to cup machine..l.

madeyemoodysmum Fri 08-Mar-19 07:25:48

Nespresso is best. We have tassemo at work and I have nespresso at home. It makes far Better coffee.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Fri 08-Mar-19 07:51:37

No to pods. Hideously environmentally unfriendly and the milk ones are not good.

Italian stovetop is my favourite.

Allgoodfun Fri 08-Mar-19 07:56:20

Delongi espresso/ cappuccino machine. Years ago had a pod one and never liked the coffee and the waste is ridiculous . It takes only a few extra seconds to put coffee in than pods and you have the choice of any coffee. I like strong coffee and favourite is Sainsbury’s own Sumatra blend. I always take a cafetière on holiday so. Can have decent coffee.

hammeringinmyhead Fri 08-Mar-19 08:14:13

I have a Nespresso Latissima and a stovetop which I love but haven't used for years as it doesn't fit on our gas hob. I've never got on with a cafetiere.

I don't find pods too expensive as one coffee a day costs me about 25p.

Sparklingbrook Fri 08-Mar-19 08:33:18

I have a Tassimo and love it. there are some places that recycle the pods.
I have mentioned having one before but got beaten back by the coffee snobs. grin

WhoTFIsAlanBrazil Fri 08-Mar-19 08:38:31

I have the Nespresso Essenza, it is brilliant and has a very small footprint
I got it for £1 as part of the Nespresso subscription, and I pay £18 a month for capsules (about 50 capsules which is plenty).

I absolutely love it

NewPapaGuinea Fri 08-Mar-19 08:52:37

Do not keep ground coffee in the fridge. Creates too much moisture.

OddestSock Fri 08-Mar-19 08:55:05

We've got a bean to cup (delonghi) machine and it's fab. It gets used every day and makes lovely lattes and hot chocolates (using the milk geothermal!)

OddestSock Fri 08-Mar-19 08:55:27

Frother. Not geothermal

user1474894224 Fri 08-Mar-19 10:57:37

@Grumpyoldpersonwithcats that's a seriously good looking machine.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Fri 08-Mar-19 11:10:44

user1474894224
Thank you grin. I love it and use it several times each day.
I really like the fact that it is built to last for ever. I contacted the company who serviced it in case it was too old and they replied that it was only machines from the 1920s where they struggled with some parts!
It's also (as far as I know) the only coffee machine that's been in both a James Bond film and AbFab.

MissEliza Fri 08-Mar-19 11:13:27

Is it possible to do an Americano with a Nespresso machine?

Snugglepiggy Fri 08-Mar-19 11:25:03

Italian stove top.add a bit of water if I want less intense or larger mug.Top up with frothed milk.lavazza frother with two settings.lively and have to wait a bit longer but have my shower.And big factor for me no pods to throw in bin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »