Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think that wasting eggs in this way is wrong?

(186 Posts)
WillyNilly00 Thu 07-Mar-19 19:50:28

I'm a TA at a school and today the teacher was telling me about a Russian roulette style game she planned to play with the children before Easter. It involves the children picking 1 of 2 eggs to 'back', then the eggs are dropped to see which is hardboiled, until just 1 child wins. Apparently 10-15 eggs are used.

Now I am against encouraging children to throw eggs at all but aibu to morally object to this game? Surely in this age of encouraging children not to waste anything and teaching them to be environmentally conscious this is inappropriate?

The teacher I work with looked at me like I had 2 heads when I raised this point.

DontFundHate Thu 07-Mar-19 19:51:51

Yanbu. I also wouldn't like the gambling. And I don't know what the children would learn from this?

WombatStewForTea Thu 07-Mar-19 19:51:57

Sounds great!
My class would love this. I might pinch it! misses point

Di11y Thu 07-Mar-19 19:54:54

I'm assuming it's an effective tool to teach something like probability. in the great scheme of things I can't get hung up about it. 🤷‍♀️

eightoclock Thu 07-Mar-19 19:55:26

Agree - a waste of eggs and what is it going to teach them?

WillyNilly00 Thu 07-Mar-19 19:57:54

The idea was raised as just abit of fun for the last day of term. A teaching aspect was not mentioned and I don't think thought of.

WillyNilly00 Thu 07-Mar-19 19:58:53

Also I feel like there are equally as effective and less wasteful ways to teach about probability.

BanginChoons Thu 07-Mar-19 20:02:03

Does anyone have animals that would eat them? If they were dropped onto a tray or something, they could be kept and not wasted.

SerenDippitty Thu 07-Mar-19 20:12:32

Agree a waste of eggs.

Lwg87 Thu 07-Mar-19 20:16:05

I think you’re being unreasonable- as long as they are free range I think it sounds like good fun.

MitziK Thu 07-Mar-19 20:18:13

Complete waste of eggs - and not very nice for the kid who goes home to a dinner of a single slice of bread with a scraping of jam because they're too skint to buy eggs/they're still waiting for UC and the maximum number of visits to the Food Bank happened in February.

It's been a thing for nearly twenty years, going by how DD's playgroup stopped making necklaces out of pasta when one of the children tried to take everybody's home for tea. (Obviously, they gave the Mum the rest of the bag of pasta - and anything else they could spare from their own kitchens).

CaptainMyCaptain Thu 07-Mar-19 20:19:12

I agree with you, I don't like waste.

Lwmommy Thu 07-Mar-19 20:19:49

Why do.they have to.drop them, why can't they crack.them.then use hardboiled to make egg sandwiches and raw to make pancakes or something as a cooking activity?

Crikeyblimey Thu 07-Mar-19 20:23:38

Yes that is wasting food.

Not as ‘dramatic’ but how about a game of ‘probability’ that we used to have at our school fates (way back in the 70s).

Tray of same with many eggs in it. Some of them were whole eggs most were just egg shells (half an egg shell buried in the sand).

Each person chose an egg. If it was whole, you ‘won’ the egg and 2 rashers of bacon (but you could change this to just winning or a small chocolate egg or something). No eggsd are harmed in the game, you just need people to supply some washed egg shells.

Crikeyblimey Thu 07-Mar-19 20:24:23

Ffs - tray of SAND!

Vulpine Thu 07-Mar-19 20:25:39

So egg and spoon races are wrong?

Al2O3 Thu 07-Mar-19 20:26:21

Something like 700 young male chickens are slaughtered every second to give us meat. The same number of female chickens are raised to produce another 700 eggs before they are also slaughtered.

How long can this party go on.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jtPowwNLS8

Springisallaround Thu 07-Mar-19 20:27:16

A different game is often played in Russia and other Eastern European countries which is a bit like conkers- you boil all the eggs in dyes, then have competitions hitting them on the top or bottom to see which one cracks, til you have a 'winner' egg. You can eat the eggs, although sometimes the dye puts me off!

CCC1 Thu 07-Mar-19 20:31:57

Oh my word. This feels like one of those times when Mumsnet baffles me. This is super, engaging activity for children teaching them about probability (not gambling!) and the science of eggs. I’ve seen a lot of very similar activities with huge pupil engagement particularly amongst children who are more difficult to engage. Maybe time would be best spent working out how not to waste the waste - I’ve seen children crush eggshells to deter slugs around a veg patch in a very similar egg smashing activity on a free range farm - or coming up with something equally as fun.

WillyNilly00 Thu 07-Mar-19 20:32:07

@Vulpine at my school growing up egg and spoon races were played with hard boiled eggs and on the grass, so the same few eggs were used all day, just for practicality I guess.
My school now uses rubber eggs.

MakeItAmazing Thu 07-Mar-19 20:32:36

Egg and spoon races generally don't use real eggs.

TheTurtleDidItAndRanAway Thu 07-Mar-19 20:33:35

YANBU

ScaremCarem Thu 07-Mar-19 20:34:42

YABU.

That is ridiculous. The chocolate egg industry is all palm oil and single use plastic. To take against this benign game is po-faced misguided virtue signalling.

Al2O3 Thu 07-Mar-19 20:37:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CCC1 Thu 07-Mar-19 20:37:48

@scaremcarem “po-faced misguided virtue signalling.”

My post would have been shorter if I’d just said this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »