Talk

Advanced search

To make the preteens come out of their bedrooms?

(4 Posts)
forksake Thu 07-Mar-19 18:35:35

DD 13 and DS 10. They hang out together for an hour while I get home, I cook tea then they vanish to their bedrooms for the rest of the night. (On the nights they don't have activities.)

I have to enforce a family film night or provide interesting snacks to entice them out.

Their bedrooms are lovely and they aren't just on gadgets, they are reading and doing homework or playing etc.

Is it normal for them to want to hide away from boring mum or should I force them to spend time downstairs more often? Or would that just be pointless if they are then just grumpy anyway?

BooksAreMyOnlyFriends Thu 07-Mar-19 18:44:47

I wouldn't worry if they're doing things other than screens. It's nice that they entertain themselves and it's very normal - enjoy it! I presume they come out for dinner? I'm sure they'll emerge like butterflies when it's lovely and sunny outside 😎

stopitandtidyupp Thu 07-Mar-19 18:55:40

Mine are the same.

forksake Thu 07-Mar-19 19:09:07

Ah you spend the entire toddler clingy stage wishing they would go away and now I want them back! Never happy are we?!

Yes lots more than screens. DS has a time limit set on his anyway. In the summer we will go out for a walk some evenings, and we all sit round the table for tea every night.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »