Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if we have a contract at all

(8 Posts)
kandykane77 Thu 07-Mar-19 18:12:10

We rent from a private landlord. Initially the rental was through an estate agent and I signed a contract through them with tacit annual renewal and I think 1 month notice to cancel. After a year the landlord decided to stop using the estate agent and said to me “shall we just carry on ourselves?” I said ok and as far as I can remember (sleep deprived working mum with a small baby at the time) I didn’t sign a new contract.
If it was all verbal do we even have a contract? This was all years ago and we’ve had no problems with the tenancy but we are thinking of moving soon and wondering how much notice we need to give?
Any one shed any light in this?

HarrysOwl Thu 07-Mar-19 18:18:18

You'll be on the same contract that you first signed if it was an AST, just with no fixed term specified if the term has ended.

Is your deposit in a protected scheme?

HarrysOwl Thu 07-Mar-19 18:19:34

So yes you'll only need to give 1 month notice smile

GreenTulips Thu 07-Mar-19 18:21:14

We had the same after a year it automatically roles over to a month by month basis

HarrysOwl Thu 07-Mar-19 18:21:20

Here's lots more info: forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1149445

kandykane77 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:13:52

Yeah the deposit was protected. I’m just thinking though that the initial contract involved the letting agent so surely that contract doesn’t apply now?

HarrysOwl Thu 07-Mar-19 21:51:40

Yes, it does. The contract is between you and your landlord, not the agency.

You've automatically transferred onto a periodic tenancy as your initial term has finished.

But your tenancy will be on the same terms as your original AST.

But the best person to talk to here is your landlord if you need any more clarification or if you intend to give notice.

kandykane77 Thu 07-Mar-19 22:53:53

Yeah... don’t want to do that until we have somewhere sorted to go to in case they give us notice before we’re ready!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »