Talk

Advanced search

Is this inappropriate?

(188 Posts)
Honeyishrunktherat Thu 07-Mar-19 15:41:48

Won’t identify myself as keen to garner responses.

Person A organises free drinks at a pub near their work for a workplace hobby society they are a part of eg Watersports Club. They invite B and C from their actual work. B and C have nothing in common with the others (both female, the others aren’t; fair bit younger than the others etc) but end up staying on for drinks at the event until late into the evening. They mainly chat to each other but also mingle with the group.

Has anyone behaved inappropriately in these circumstances?

jcmayj Thu 07-Mar-19 15:42:30

I don't think anyone's being unreasonable there?

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Thu 07-Mar-19 15:44:36

I can't see how... assuming everyone kept their clothes on? confused

FriarTuck Thu 07-Mar-19 15:44:46

2 invitees mainly talk together and then stay longer chatting - how is that wrong, unless they're drinking free drinks long after the 'event' has effectively finished?

jcmayj Thu 07-Mar-19 15:44:51

@GreenFingersWouldBeHandy 😂

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Thu 07-Mar-19 15:45:07

Who is paying ?

If A is paying and has also invited B & C what is he issue?

But if the watersports club is footing the bill and A is only the organised - then A is out of order Im afraid, using club funds to treat his/her friends.

Autumn101 Thu 07-Mar-19 15:45:11

I don’t think anyone’s been inappropriate in that situation, B and C work at the company

Ohtherewearethen Thu 07-Mar-19 15:45:51

I'm not quite sure I follow. B and C were invited but aren't actually part of workplace hobby society, just colleagues? So did they know others there as they all work together? If they were invited by the host/organiser and they attended and just chatted to themselves and others then it doesn't sound like anyone behaved inappropriately to me.

Honeyishrunktherat Thu 07-Mar-19 15:47:15

Watersports club footing bill.

B and C don’t know anyone else but get chatting to others during evening.

TheInvestigator Thu 07-Mar-19 15:48:11

If A is paying then no one did anything wrong. If the club funds are paying then A should not have invited them, or should have told them to buy their own drinks.

Other than that... no one did anything wrong. B and C simply accepted an invited out for drinks, and obviously chatted to one another because they are friends and they don't know the rest of the people.

Witchend Thu 07-Mar-19 15:49:08

If the Watersports is footing the bill, then it wouldn't be appropriate for A to invite others not connected surely?
I suppose unless it's an invite friends in the hope they join toon type thing.

TheInvestigator Thu 07-Mar-19 15:49:16

Cross posted with you OP!

If the club is paying then really, B and C shouldn't have been invited. But there were, so they hung around. Not their fault.

Who is angry and whom?

TheInvestigator Thu 07-Mar-19 15:49:36

*at not and

peterpanwendy Thu 07-Mar-19 15:50:15

Are B and C part of the 'watersports club' despite not having anything in common with the other members?

Noloudnoises Thu 07-Mar-19 15:50:25

I imagine it might be that:

If you're person A, you're annoyed you invited some people who didn't really mingle as much as you'd like, appeared 'young and rude' and are a bit miffed.

Or you person B/C are on the receiving end of a miffed person A and are being accused of not joining in and only talking to the other B/C when should've really tried to join in with various group chat?

Either way, no one is inappropriate?

peterpanwendy Thu 07-Mar-19 15:50:40

Or interested in the club? Or just the free drinks?

knitandpearl Thu 07-Mar-19 15:51:41

What's the relationship between B and C and the members of the club (e.g. do they work closely with a lot of the club members or are their line managers etc)?

peterpanwendy Thu 07-Mar-19 15:51:48

@Noloudnoises or they're a member of the club and are annoyed at A for inviting B and C who were just there for a free drink, not interested in the club or its members.

thedisorganisedmum Thu 07-Mar-19 15:52:17

As above, A shouldn't invite others when club (ie paid members I imagine) pays the bill.

B and C don’t know anyone else but get chatting to others during evening. what is wrong with that?
They tried to mingle a bit, sounds like the polite thing to do.

I don't get what you think is inappropriate?

AryaStarkWolf Thu 07-Mar-19 15:52:38

Is someone annoyed by it? I don't understand

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Thu 07-Mar-19 15:52:49

Not inappropriate, assuming Person A was happy for B and C to be there and benefit from the free drinks

Perhaps inappropriate if B and C 'gatecrashed' the event without an invite

OnlyFoolsnMothers Thu 07-Mar-19 15:53:10

Whats the issue, other work people feeling excluded?
nothing wrong with what you've described.

knitandpearl Thu 07-Mar-19 15:53:30

Oh sorry you already said they don't know anyone, but work for the same company.

kaytee87 Thu 07-Mar-19 15:54:37

So A was paying and invited B and C?

No ones being unreasonable surely? Am I missing something?

HarrysOwl Thu 07-Mar-19 15:55:04

Is A annoyed that B & C didn't make enough effort with them?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »