In wanting to take ds to the doctors?(9 Posts)
DS has had a very heavy (thick, fluro green snot) for a week now. It started as a bit of a fever (101) and feeling awful and is now a sporadic cough.
He seems fine in himself, he was out sledding all day on Monday. He's 95% his normal bouncy self (is a bit more whiny than usual.)
He's developed two cold sores now (he caught the herpes virus when he was a baby ) so the poor bugger's immune system is obviously taking a battering (he's only had them the once before) and I want to take him to the doctor as I'd just like his ears, throat and chest checked out just in case.
There's confirmed flu, strep and pneumonia going around locally (obviously it's not flu and pretty sure it's not strep as he's not moaning about a sore throat.)
For some reason my in laws are being very vocal and snarky about me taking him to the doctors. I'm taking him anyway because quite frankly, they can go fuck themselves (had big issues with them before, I'm the poster who they wouldn't help with ds when I had an ovarian cyst burst and couldn't go to hospital).
Am I being ott in taking him? I wouldn't take him if it were the first couple of days of a cold but it seems to be getting worse rather than better. My main concern is pneumonia as 4 of his class mates have had it.
I think they think I'm keeping him off school to avoid working. Honestly, I let most of their bullshit now fall in to the pil vacc I've built around myself, I'd just like to see if others would be thinking of a doctor's visit at this point too.
DH hasn't said anything but I'm pretty sure he thinks it's unnecessary too. His family are of the ilk that you never go to the doctor. It's weak. Him and fil have had big cuts that needed stitches, broken bones and infections and not gone
until I've threatened divorce .
To not drip feed, if it worsens over the weekend it's a 6 trip to see a doctor so am also wanting to get him seen before the weekend and avoid the possibility of that!
If he seems 95% normal then why is he off school? I’m just trying to understand fully.
@BiscuitDrama I mean he will be today if I take him to the doctors. Monday was a snow day and he doesn't go Wednesdays so wasn't in yesterday.
Green snot can indicate bacterial sinus infection so I would check
It can't hurt to take him, can it? Just for your peace of mind.
He went Tuesday but I got some snarky comments about sending him in sick from other parents. A bit rich considering they all sent their sick kids in with confirmed pneumonia.
I had a similar dilemma yesterday - 4 days in a row DS had a temperature and hasn’t been sleeping and had conjunctivitis. I kept him off nursery yesterday so he could sleep and recuperate and booked a docs appointment. Appointment was booked at 9am for 5.30pm and he was much better in the afternoon. I decided to take him anyway and the GP said that although he is fine that it was still best to keep his appointment and get him checked just in case.
It's thick, hard, and sometimes fluorescent sometimes dark dark green. I've dealt with many many children's colds over the years and this is (not envy).
DH has it too. With their personal hygiene I'm astounded i don't have it yet.
@ethelfleda I know damn well as soon as I make an appointment his snot will dry up and he'll be cured.
And we have to pay for our doctors appointments so it's doubly annoying when the little fucker bounces in like nothing is wrong.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Get started »
Please login first.