Talk

Advanced search

Possibly moving to Manchester from London

(137 Posts)
shouldiorshouldinot Thu 07-Mar-19 12:03:25

Hi everyone,

We are possibly planning on moving to Manchester from London. I've never lived anywhere other than London so it's daunting. I have 4dc 12,10,4,1. The very main thing is excellent schools. St the moment my kids are at outstanding schools so I really hope they can continue like that.
Anybody made the move and how have you found it?
What's the best place to move to with great schools secondary and primary and maybe not too far from the city centre?
Looking for a 4 bed semi or detached
How likely is it to get into food schools and getting into same schools?

Thank you all it's all very overwhelming

NewYoiker Fri 08-Mar-19 23:18:18

@ProlificLurker it's such a lovely area for the first time in my life I'm not thinking about where else we could live

alliejay81 Fri 08-Mar-19 23:19:51

@donquixotedelamancha

Manchester, Stockport and Trafford all voted remain.... hmm

ProlificLurker Fri 08-Mar-19 23:21:18

@NewYoiker that’s lovely. Long may it continue for you.

FloatingthroughSpace Fri 08-Mar-19 23:28:29

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58825380.html

Nobody has mentioned Northenden. It's next to Didsbury but less fashionable. It's safe, family friendly, primaries are ok and well placed for new Didsbury secondary school that is opening and seems highly desirable. There are shops, cafes, green spaces etc. Worth a look.

Sparkyduchess Fri 08-Mar-19 23:37:26

Timperley is lovely, but may be out of your price range. Trafford schools, so great whether you want grammar or not.

O4FS Sat 09-Mar-19 09:17:04

Have a look at Sale Moor

Arnoldthecat Sat 09-Mar-19 10:31:57

I still dont get this about "lovely" areas. Surely its all just rose tinted specs sutff. They are all mostly suburbs with the same thing, i.e houses,streets,roads,public transport and other infrastructure. Everything else is largely superficial and indeed mythical. Go for square footage and VFM all the way in my book. OP have you been up here on Mr Bransons trainset on fact finding missions? If so,how did it go?

shouldiorshouldinot Sat 09-Mar-19 12:11:21

How is Middleton? I've seen properties at a good price there .

TokenGinger Sat 09-Mar-19 13:57:57

Middleton has good parts and bad parts. I don't know the area enough to comment on which are good and bad. My auntie manages a pub in a really rough part, the clientele in the pub really put me on edge when I went to visit.

I do know there are some nicer parts of Middleton, though I suspect it's expensive due to location (close to Heaton Park), and therefore if house prices are coming up reasonable, I'd be led to think it may be in the tougher parts.

Arnoldthecat Sat 09-Mar-19 23:08:28

Quite a widespread area could be regarded as Middleton. If you could point toward a particular property so that we could place it? I will say that Middleton has a very well regarded high school (Cardinal Langley). Middleton is deemed to be north Manchester which a lot of people find less desirable.

I wonder if thats a nationwide thing i.e north is bad,south is good ?

Anyway i've lived in both north and south manchester and im fairly ambivalent. I know people here on the south side who have never been to north Manchester. Some think there are dragons there ..

lastqueenofscotland Sat 09-Mar-19 23:10:31

Middleton is very mixed.
It depends where as the nice bits are really nice but the not so nice bits are pretty grim

shouldiorshouldinot Sun 10-Mar-19 01:09:12

Thank you I'm
Actually not sure if the exact location in
Middleton I just noticed there were some good school and house prices seemed a little lower.
Arnold it does seem to
Be a nationwide thing regarding the north / south divide . Strange

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »