Talk

Advanced search

To think I will be able to get these cats into their baskets?

(77 Posts)
Movinghouseatlast Thu 07-Mar-19 11:39:25

I'm (finally) moving house on Monday.

We are taking our cats both age 7 with us. Neither have been in a car since being 13 weeks old. They were feral kittens, and I tamed them.

One, who is the most loving cat, I have not managed to pick up EVER. We have had to have vet home visits for their jabs because she turns into a seething mass of muscle if we try to pick her up.

We are moving a 5 hour drive away.

We have a cat valium prescribed. But another vet told us this is bad because she might fight against it and be worse.

I am putting treats in their baskets but they seem to know the basket is bad and wont go near.

I am thinking of paying a vet to get them in the baskets. I don't even know if they would do this.

Also thinking of asking the Cats Protection lady to do it in exchange for a big donation.

All the usual 'wrap them in a towel just don't work with these two. I have always had cats, so I know that their behaviour is off the scale in terms of getting them in the baskets. The vet said one in particular is the most terrified she has ever seen.

Soubriquet Tue 12-Mar-19 16:08:04

Oh fab.

They always manage to surprise us don’t they

iknowimcoming Tue 12-Mar-19 15:58:03

Phew! Well done OP and good luck with the new house thanks

thegreylady Tue 12-Mar-19 14:04:44

Excellent update, I always dread vet visits as they choose inaccessible hiding places.

Movinghouseatlast Tue 12-Mar-19 13:59:26

Thanks NoCanoe!

NoCanoe Tue 12-Mar-19 11:44:29

Movinghouseatlast
Delighted with your update.
I've only just seen this thread and it's made my morning to read the good news.
Congratulations and well done to all of you.

Deadbydaylight Tue 12-Mar-19 11:27:49

Wrap cat in towel and shove into basket.

Can't be nice about it sadly. I have to do that for my parents cat as she won't go in a basket either. And you have to hold the basket again your body as she will throw herself at the door until it opens.

Movinghouseatlast Tue 12-Mar-19 11:24:57

I thought I would say what happened in case anyone else ever needs help.

I used the Valium from the vet in Licky Lux. Other had both been out just before I gave it to them.

They both instantly demanded to go out! We went with them.as we have a routine of walking them round the garden. One of them did both a wee and a poo so I'm glad we went out.

When we came in, the most difficult one went into the carrier to eat. We just gently closed the door behind her!

The other one we picked up and dropped into the carrier.

They both wailed for the first 3 hours. But then I covered their carriers with blankets and they went to sleep. So I wish I had done that from the start. I thought they would feel more reassured being able to see me but I think they felt better being hidden.

They are in the new house now, both seem settled, purring etc.

viccat Sat 09-Mar-19 23:58:22

Do you know how to scruff?
You need to ideally shut them into the smallest room available (without large furniture so no beds or sofas to hide under), and then 'corner' them and scruff and quickly lift into carriers.

I have a semi feral pair too and this is the only thing that works, they are generally friendly cats but approach me on their terms only and can't be picked up any usual way. When in a small room and chased around a bit they will usually find a suitably enclosed hiding place (igloo bed, if you're lucky!) and I can then catch and scruff. The boy I quickly cover with a towel after scruffing as he's so strong, the girl is tiny and just protests by growling.

When I had a feral foster cat I got her into a carrier by essentially making her move around a small room, corner to corner, away from me, until she finally ran into the open carrier as the only hiding place left. It was very stressful though and you need to approach the task with confidence or it will be almost impossible.

Asking the Cats Protection lady sounds like a good idea too, she will hopefully have dealt with plenty of tricky cats.

MidniteScribbler Sat 09-Mar-19 23:42:56

Throw a blanket over them when asleep, then quickly wrap them in blanket. Drop cat and blanket into crate. Be prepared for blanket to be torn to shreds.

thegreylady Sat 09-Mar-19 23:16:25

I struggle a lot with my three especially Timid Trevor. A breeder friend told me to get the basket ready a few days in advance then when you are petting the cat pick him up by the scruff ( a mother cat carries her kittens like this) support his bum and drop him into the basket. It works every time.

nonevernotever Sat 09-Mar-19 23:13:14

I can only talk about ours. Vet warned me that occasionally a cat can react badly and become more aggressive but that it was only occasionally and that giving it when they were calm to start with would help. It certainly made our move less stressful for them. Unlike you we didn't have a long journey but they're so scared of other people we left them at my mum's for the day in their carriers. Theirs are each big enough for two snd with water and food bowls that can be slid in at the front with out opening the door so they had plenty space and it was easier than letting them out and trying to catch them again but actually with the valium they just dozed all day

CheshireChat Sat 09-Mar-19 22:40:25

It's surprising how much trouble cats can be, current cat is daft as a brush, but my mum's cat had to be pinned by 4 people on a particularly troublesome vet trip! She's like Mog in the story.

AndromedaPerseus Sat 09-Mar-19 22:38:03

We also rescued a feral cat and had to take him to see the vet. I waited until he was hungry then baited him with tuna and lured him into a small room while he was eating I threw a bedsheet over over and wrap him up in it tightly and bundled him into the cat carrier. I could have done with a gin afterwards grin

CheshireChat Sat 09-Mar-19 22:29:25

This reminds me that it was always a nightmare to deflea the second cat as the first one used to warn him , basically 'run, run for your life if you know what's good for you!'

Movinghouseatlast Sat 09-Mar-19 11:17:03

What are peoples experiences of the Valium? I am scared to give it to them.

Slowknitter Fri 08-Mar-19 21:57:26

We tried all kinds of methods with much scratching and trauma, then discovered that if we put the basket down behind her on the floor, we could just gently back her in with no trouble at all.

cushioncuddle Fri 08-Mar-19 21:57:05

What about a dog cage that fits into the back of a car. Bigger and easier to get them in.

Upsy1981 Fri 08-Mar-19 21:53:35

Highly recommend thick gloves e.g. gardening gloves and put them in the basket backwards.

Vinorosso74 Fri 08-Mar-19 20:58:07

Have you tried the leaving the carriers out trick? Just so they get used to them being there whilst they're open.
When you say wrap them in a towel, have you actually thrown the towel over them so they can't see so you can make your grab whilst wearing thick gardening gloves.
If you're not sure you can do it then no harm in asking the CP lady in return for danger money/donation.
Some cats are real buggers to get in carriers. Whatever you do no cardboard boxes (cats can be determined when they want to) and definitely no free roaming in the car-you would have no hope getting them into the new house !
Good luck.

SlangBack Fri 08-Mar-19 20:42:12

I leave mine on the dining table with a towel over it. Pick her up for a 'cuddle' then straight in the carrier.

I know its not that easy for you but I tried everything before.

DogInATent Fri 08-Mar-19 20:38:59

Tip the carrier on it's back end, door up and open. Hold cat by scruff of neck and lower in feet first. The use of cardboard as a funnel to direct the back feet in may help stop the splay-block.

Don't be squeamish about holding firmly by the scruff, it's really the best way and it's harder for the cat to deploy teeth and claws against you.

supadupapupascupa Fri 08-Mar-19 20:37:49

My method (albeit not with feral cats but friendly ones) is not to make a fuss, just quickly bring in the carrier, open the door whilst cat is distracted and place on top of table slightly overhanging the edge. Pick up cat as normal (I know you said you can't do this but might work for others) point in front if Cartier and they automatically put their feet in as nowhere else to go. Quick shove of bum and shut door after them. Honestly have done this many times. Trick is to not make a fuss and leave the basket around where they expect it. No forewarning, no stress.

Shootfirstaskquestionslater Fri 08-Mar-19 20:26:30

I feel your pain I have the same exact problem with my 4 cats it’s a 2 person job to get one cat in to a carrier. I find the semi easiest way is to stand the cat carrier up and lower them in to it either backwards or head first just watch out for splayed legs and them trying everything they can think of to get away including scratching and head butting. Good luck OP.

ILoveBray Fri 08-Mar-19 20:25:38

Do it quickly and backwards, with no preamble. They'll be in before they've realised what's happened!

nonevernotever Fri 08-Mar-19 20:19:44

Our two rescues are very similar. One we can stroke but can't pick up and o e we can't touch at all. When we moved house we gave them each valium on the vet's advice. We put each tablet in a softish treat and offered them at 5 in the morning when they were calm to start with. One gobbled it immediately. The other was suspicious and retreated under the bed so we put treats in a food bowl under the bed and shut the other cat out and left her in peace (I believe the valium works better if they're calm at the time) . By 6am the bowl was empty and we could grab her. It still took two of us, a towel and a top loader but the valium took just enough of the edge off her speed to make it possible. They slept most of the day in their boxes and were still really out of it at 11pm but then got the munchies.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »