Talk

Advanced search

To think I will be able to get these cats into their baskets?

(77 Posts)
Movinghouseatlast Thu 07-Mar-19 11:39:25

I'm (finally) moving house on Monday.

We are taking our cats both age 7 with us. Neither have been in a car since being 13 weeks old. They were feral kittens, and I tamed them.

One, who is the most loving cat, I have not managed to pick up EVER. We have had to have vet home visits for their jabs because she turns into a seething mass of muscle if we try to pick her up.

We are moving a 5 hour drive away.

We have a cat valium prescribed. But another vet told us this is bad because she might fight against it and be worse.

I am putting treats in their baskets but they seem to know the basket is bad and wont go near.

I am thinking of paying a vet to get them in the baskets. I don't even know if they would do this.

Also thinking of asking the Cats Protection lady to do it in exchange for a big donation.

All the usual 'wrap them in a towel just don't work with these two. I have always had cats, so I know that their behaviour is off the scale in terms of getting them in the baskets. The vet said one in particular is the most terrified she has ever seen.

iknowimcoming Thu 07-Mar-19 14:35:31

I'd be tempted to starve them overnight and put a tin of tuna or whatever their fave food is in the basket (laced with the sedative) you'd need to do them both in separate rooms so as one doesn't catch on whilst the other is being caught. My vet also recommended the lick-e-lix things too for hiding drugs in (I'm currently on anti-biotics after my cat bit me at the vets this week so I literally feel your pain) good luck!

lubeybooby Thu 07-Mar-19 14:38:16

I upend mine and put the cat into it vertically. Blind superman is another good method. Look some up on youtube

secure the room before you do it and make sure any catflaps/windows etc are locked because if they get spooked, you're buggered.

CheshireChat Thu 07-Mar-19 14:38:55

Be careful with fabric type carriers that they don't twist and end up unable to breathe well- my mum's cat managed this...

listsandbudgets Thu 07-Mar-19 14:41:54

Oh God you have my sympathy.

2 beautiful rescue kittens. Really loving on their own terms but try to pick them up they'll run a mile. I've got one of them snuggled up on my chest right now but if I try to move him he'll be off like a rocket.

It took me and DP an hour and a half to catch the girl to take her to be spayed. I was in floods of tears by the end of it and she was upset too sad

Can you try putting their food bowls in the carriers with blankets from now until Monday - it might at least get them used to it if they have to go in their for their dinner

Tenpole Thu 07-Mar-19 14:42:50

Get some help from a friend.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Thu 07-Mar-19 14:43:46

My mum has elbow length fire gauntlets and goggles for this job (which also requires a goggle wearing assistant to close the cage door). It's not pretty, but this way nobody loses an eye or a hand.

Good luck. They always jump in that cage quick enough when it's time to go home again.

Maneandfeathers Thu 07-Mar-19 14:45:34

I handle feral/aggressive cats a fair bit and have the tequnique pretty well rehersed.

Firstly stroke the back of the neck if the cat allows.
If not then chuck towel over head.
Once you are aware of where the teeth are, grab cat firmly at the scruff of the neck. The trick is to get a good wedge of cat. Sounds terrible but it means you cant get bitten.
Pick up, drop in basket bum first.

Job done grin

Soubriquet Thu 07-Mar-19 14:53:01

I would look into getting a small crate and start feeding them everyday in their own crate.

Once in, shut the door and cover with a blanket. (On moving day)

The rest of time between now and then, leave the door open.

Treats and food and everything nice goes in it.

Freshly cooked chicken, cheese, ham, dreamies, anything that your cats will go crazy for.

3 times a day just slip treats into each crate. Let them at them at their leisure and wander out. DO NOT SHUT THE DOOR!!

Then on moving day, treat like usual and quickly slip the door shut before they realise

ParkaPerson Thu 07-Mar-19 14:59:57

I have a giant mesh fabric carrier that has rigid poles keeping it in a cube type shape. The top completely zips open.

On more than one occasion I have sneaked up on my cat while she's sleeping, dropped it over her and then basically treated her like a giant spider- big bit of card underneath (the Amazon box the carrier comes in will do the trick) then very gently flip it over and zip the top shut.

Ours was about £20 from Amazon and advertised as a medium dog carrier

Purpleartichoke Thu 07-Mar-19 15:07:32

We used a top loading carrier for psycho cat. Psycho cat hated the carrier, the car, the vet, and everyone but my DH. She had to be put in a kitty muzzle at the vet. This was a very difficult cat.

The top loader was a miracle. The opening is bigger and the angle is just easier.

Movinghouseatlast Thu 07-Mar-19 15:10:54

Oh purple, yours sounds like mine. I have a top loader for her. She has actually just eaten her lunch in it!

Loyaultemelie Thu 07-Mar-19 15:12:25

Cardboard box with air holes? Cat will go in then quickly close and tape (not the air holes obviously blush) this worked for dm's feral rescue when nothing else did, she used a big box and lined it with a cube of rubber matting and a blanket

Hotterthanahotthing Thu 07-Mar-19 15:18:05

I use a top loader.One cat responds ok the being grabbed by scruff of neck when eating dreamiest.The other always falls for exploring oversized shopping bag left on the floor which I grab and hold top together and dump cat and bag in the carrier.
Getting them out at the vets is also easier with a top loader.

KarenBeck Thu 07-Mar-19 15:21:27

One of my cats used to try and kill me if I attempted to put her in her basket, it was amazing how wild and strong she became and seemed to grow extra legs. My vet put her carrier on its end, the gate at the top and open. He picked her up and put her in back feet first before she had realised what was going on. I repeated this with gloves, two of us, one firmly but gently holding her by the scruff as well. It was hard and stressful but got her in quite quickly. Hide the basket until the very last second, not saying it works for everyone but it worked for us. Good luck.

maggiecate Thu 07-Mar-19 15:27:52

My much missed mog was a bugger for getting into her carrier. Grab by the scruff of the neck and drop in backwards was the best way but you had to be sneaky and on no account let her see the carrier. Get some puppie pads to line the crate in case they stress-wee.
Once in it was HOWLING like a banshee all the way to the V-E-T (to the point where you'd get people looking to see WTF was making the noise). Into the surgery and wouldn't come out so the carrier had to be tipped up to slide her out. Once all the work was done she'd walk back in. Once home dreamies for her and gin for me.

I miss her :-(

Mmmhmmm Thu 07-Mar-19 15:29:12

Can you put pet nappies on them and let them wander about the car? I had to do that with my cat, although she was a manx so didn't have a tail to contend with.

CheshireChat Thu 07-Mar-19 16:10:45

Not sure it's a good idea for the cat to wander around the car as she sounds so stressed she might get aggressive, it's also a long drive.

zaffa Thu 07-Mar-19 16:43:36

Hey OP - I had similar problems with my cats - they're absolute nightmares at getting into the basket and it's incredibly hard to wrestle them in. One of them I, like you, can't pick up. I bought special baskets that are top opening, they look like picnic baskets. The opening is much wider and it's much easier to get them in and secure to lock down (one of them bashed through the opening on his last cage). It's still a nightmare and we have to play endless games of running round the house before I manage to catch them - and I agree the the rubber gloves and protective clothing!

A word of warning - mine howl (properly howl) the entire time they are in the cage and also managed to wee onto the back seat of my car (through the cage bars) when we moved house. It was all a bit of a nightmare - so be prepared for an unpleasant journey once they are in. Good luck!

Shufflebumnessie Thu 07-Mar-19 16:47:10

I completely understand your concern. We moved a couple of years ago and had catch our 5 cats (all of whom were feral and we tamed). We managed to get 4 on the day. DH had to use heavy duty construction gloves and pretty much wrestle them in to the carriers.

It took 3 weeks to catch the 5th one. In the end we had to buy an animal trap and leave it set up (keeping our fingers crossed the right animal went in!). Our neighbour rag us to say there was a cat in it. Thankfully we'd only moved an hour away.

If we did it again I'd go straight for the trap. You'd need 2. Don't feed the cats for 24 hours before you want to catch them. Set up the trap and put something really tasty at the far end (prawns?).

If your cats go outside don't give them a sedative as they might fall asleep outside somewhere that you can't find them. My parents did this and the cat ended up under the decking for a few hours.

Good luck!!!

backinaminute Thu 07-Mar-19 16:55:18

We have a system - sneak the carrier out the garage and put by the back door when the cat isn't watching. Then Sneak it further into the house, tuck it round the corner of the downstairs loo so can't be seen. Go find the cat, walk round the house giving lots of cuddles, chatting to him etc, walk towards the downstairs loo and quickly before he sees it round the corner, put him in the waiting basket (propped vertically if necessary) and shut the door. It's a one chance deal as if he sees it he will vanish. Second person closes the toilet door as a safety net so he can't hide under a bed/behind a sofa etc. Then if feeling generous, poke some dreamies through the bars. This is the most recent cunning plan, when he cottons on, we will need to find a different corner to hide it behind. grin

WeBuiltCisCityOnSexistRoles Thu 07-Mar-19 17:03:29

Oh I feel your pain. Have you written a will? grin

I asked advice from our vet as mine is so carrier phobic and got the towel advice etc, she made it sound so easy. "It'll be fine" she said. "Just make a cat burrito" she said hmmgrin

If you get bitten, it will need medical attention and anti biotics. Just saying wink

Half the problem is I am too "soft" and scared of hurting her, DH is actually firmer and quicker which really does help. No faffing!

EleanorAbernathy Thu 07-Mar-19 17:13:09

Good luck - DH still has the scar from when we had to catch one of my cats when I moved in with him 11 years ago!

She's calmed down a lot since then and came quietly last time we moved, but one of the others decided to howl all the way to the new place and made some unearthly smells on the carrier too......

StatisticallyChallenged Thu 07-Mar-19 17:17:19

We have maine coons - softies but huge strong, and carrier averse. Best approach I've found is to stand the carrier on its end, door open. Grab cat and drop in butt first. Their back legs are stronger than the front and once their ass is in then you have gravity on your side.

CMOTDibbler Thu 07-Mar-19 17:18:28

We have a carrier sized for a small dog. I stand it on its end, drop blanket over cat, and drop them in. I find a fleece blanket better than a towel.
I then use zip ties to secure the door really firmly.

Movinghouseatlast Fri 08-Mar-19 18:54:39

What do you think about getting the Cats Protection lady to do it?

I'm torn because strangers freak them out so much. Even people they know. Is it better we do it?

I have Dreamies, tuna, prawns, liky lix, feliway, gauntlets and goggles at the ready.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »