Talk

Advanced search

To report neighbours awful, barking dog?

(14 Posts)
roundligament Thu 07-Mar-19 10:30:18

It gets left for like an hour at a time throughout the day in the garden and it barks constantly
They don't take it in when it barks
I don't like them anyway but I don't want to ask them to bring their dog in. They are already pretty disrespectful as it is.
I live on a nice road Ina nice area it's not like they are really rough and scary
Do you need to ask them before you can report it?
It literally howls. It wakes my son up. It's the worst when I'm trying to work and all I hear is Barking
What can I do?

Ainu to just report it without talking to them

Nesssie Thu 07-Mar-19 10:43:13

You can report to the council and ask them to investigate as a statutory noise nuisance under the Environ. Protection Act 1990. They may ask if you have approached the subject yourself, but you don't have to if you don't feel comfortable .

roundligament Thu 07-Mar-19 10:44:14

Ahh I didn't know I didn't have to approach them myself that makes things a lot lot easier
Honestly it's awful I think they get away with it because they are very normal and not rough If you know what I mean ...

LancsPear Thu 07-Mar-19 10:45:48

Are you in Berkshire? Always paranoid these sorts of posts are referring to my dog. Although my boy is never left alone in the garden (poo eater) but he is very reactive to noises- I always bring him in as his barking is anti-social/embarrassing. He's much easier to shut up in the house!

Nesssie Thu 07-Mar-19 10:46:04

The council will contact them and say that a complaint has been received (you will remain anonymous). Hopefully that will be enough to make them rethink leaving the dog out.

roundligament Thu 07-Mar-19 10:48:00

No I promise I'm not in Berkshire and it's not you because these people do not bring in their dog they leave him.

I will complain then except I'm pretty sure they will know it was me because the other neighbours also don't like them but we do have a bit of history with them 🙄 like them parking over my drive way 🙄

MeltyTalented Thu 07-Mar-19 10:49:10

I complained more than once about dogs near me barking day and night. They were left out all day whilst owners at work.

Didn't make a blind bit of difference.

Arnoldthecat Thu 07-Mar-19 10:50:21

buy a barkbuster and see if that helps??

roundligament Thu 07-Mar-19 10:52:54

I need to google a bark buster...

Wordle Thu 07-Mar-19 10:54:22

Your neighbours are awful, the dog isn’t.

roundligament Thu 07-Mar-19 10:54:46

That sounds good I have a plug out doors
The gardens are very big though so I don't know if it will be within range when he is barking hopefully it will whilst he is by their back door
Why don't they buy one of the bloody things
Surely the dog is driving them around the twist

CallMeRachel Thu 07-Mar-19 10:54:57

Put a letter through the door first, advising them that the dog is causing a noise nuisance and will be monitored by the neighbours and reported if they continue to fail to stop it barking.

That way they know it's a problem, if they don't do anything the council turning up will be their own fault.

roundligament Thu 07-Mar-19 10:57:20

But they will guess it was me putting the note through the door
I would be really self conscious if I had a dog who barked in the garden non stop
Why do they keep leaving him out the poor thing

CallMeRachel Thu 07-Mar-19 18:42:02

What does it matter if they guess it was you that wrote the note? They are the ones in the wrong confused

It's far better to write a pleasant but assertive note giving them the chance to resolve it before going to the officials surely?

If the council turn up the first thing the neighbours will claim is that non of the neighbours have complained to themselves.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: