Talk

Advanced search

To think I should give up on holidays

(5 Posts)
Moanymoaner123 Thu 07-Mar-19 09:39:19

So for the last 10 years or so, whenever I go on holiday I get ill on the day of arrival. Doesn't matter where I have gone Europe, Africa, Caribbean, America it always happens though the type of illness varies from vomiting to heamarroids to flu. My DP treated me to 3 nights in Paris on my own this week, as I've been feeling very down and sleep deprived ( I have severe depression and anxiety and have done for years) and on the day I arrived I started getting hot and cold, shaking and feeling nauseous, tonsils so swollen I could barely drink water. Couldn't sleep at all the first night, and woke up to diarrhoea all day. I go home on Friday so this is my last day, and I have don't nothing but bathe and watch shit on my iPad and pop to the supermarche for food which I can barely stomach. I feel a little better today but feel so down I can't be bothered to get up and out of the apartment. I know this is a total first world problem but it's really deflating when you are so desperate to do something nice for yourself and your body lets you down. I am never ill before I set off, it always happens once I arrive. Our last few holidays I have spent mostly in the loo or in bed and I can't even enjoy anything, and then I feel horrendously guilty that I've spent all this money on holidays I haven't enjoyed. Does this happen to anyone else? I've told DP I'm not going to bother with holidays anymore as I always come back feeling worse not relaxed. AIBU to just never travel again as clearly it doesn't suit me?

pippistrelle Thu 07-Mar-19 11:24:39

That sounds rubbish for you, OP. I have to say though that travel can be a pretty anxious-making thing, even though it's for a pleasant purpose, so I would wonder if there's a link between increased anxiety and physical symptoms.

sillysmiles Thu 07-Mar-19 11:31:57

Hmmm - what would happen if you took a few days off and just went to a nice hotel in the countryside to relax for a few days.

I wonder if you are running yourself into the ground before holidays and then once you relax you get sick. I tend to do this at christmas time!

Singlenotsingle Thu 07-Mar-19 11:32:26

Sometimes I wonder why we bother with holidays. You buy or rent a nice home, it's warm and comfortable, it's got all your favourite stuff that you've chosen - and then you go and leave it all and pay through the nose for something that's not so nice.

The other thing is, when you take time off work, I think your body just relaxes and let's all the ailments strike, as though they'd all been waiting.
I don't have any answers OP, but I sympathize flowers

bobstersmum Thu 07-Mar-19 11:36:46

This used to happen to my dh every time. He used to say as soon as I let myself relax I'll be ill, and he was. I've heard people say once they retire they're permanently ill as well. Are you very busy in day to day life?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: