Talk

Advanced search

Too much trouble to put dogs on leads? (Possible trigger warning)

(77 Posts)
Parly Thu 07-Mar-19 01:28:20

May be upsetting for some

In the last five years or so we've seen a sharp rise in the number of dog related attacks to sheep. The most recent happened a couple of days ago with fifteen sheep dead and a horse suffering injuries too.

www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/horse-injured-15-sheep-killed-dog-attacks-680675

The owners of one which was killed by a farmer we know went to the local and national press and of course, to social media calling for him out as a disgrace and to be prosecuted.

Poor chap was devastated and said the warning shots and first one to the dog barely registered. Second one made him stumble but he still tried scrambling on his feet again . Third finally brought him down sad

Despite this, we still keep seeing loose dogs on farmland that won't respond to owners or stop for love nor money.

Why don't / won't people just put their dogs on a lead particularly when walking through farmland? angry angry

havingtochangeusernameagain Thu 07-Mar-19 07:00:04

It's just another symptom of the entitled society we live in. Dogs are expensive to have and therefore a status symbol. So how dare you say that my "furbaby" can't do exactly what it likes?

TheClaifeCrier Thu 07-Mar-19 07:08:12

It's worse this time of year because the ewes are pregnant and just being chased by a dog can cause them enough stress that they miscarry.

I live in the Lake District and I see it all the time. I've seen a dog go in and out of a field of sheep by slipping under the gate, and every time it was retrieved by the owner they failed to put it on a lead so it did it again a few minutes later.

I'm fed up of irresponsible dog owners. I posted here a few weeks ago about my kids getting repeatedly jumped on by dogs with bad recall when out hiking, leading to them developing a fear, and most posters agreed that the dog owners were irresponsible but I did get a couple of owners telling it was my fault for not teaching my children not to be afraid hmm

I wish dog ownership was more regulated. There are too many entitled pricks out there who think their dog can do what it likes.

WhoWants2Know Thu 07-Mar-19 07:27:19

I'd be quite happy with a law prohibiting dogs from being off lead outside certain designated areas that are enclosed.

Out of all the off lead dogs I've ever met, the ones walking to heel or with perfect recall were in the minority.

AleFailTrail Thu 07-Mar-19 07:30:32

Two points here:
One being that, as I said in a previous thread, if you think terriers are cute/harmless little yappers then you want to see a pup take out a rat the size of it in one bite. Pure aggression in a fluff ball.
Two; I know as a distant acquaintance a man whose horse was badly hurt by a dog running at it in its field and biting a leg. This horse was trained at the time for films/acting/battlefield re-enactments and had to retire from that due to becoming nervous. And the dog owner had the gall to try and sue him for his horse crushing the dog! The horse had reacted by trampling the dog. I didn’t hear the outcome sadly, this was a fair few years ago. The dog wasn’t even an ‘aggressive’ breed, a collie or something like that IIRC.

Huntawaymama Thu 07-Mar-19 07:55:44

Sheep farmer here, we've lost lambs because their mothers have miscarried following being chased by dogs.

We've also lost 3 ewes from dog attacks. It might not seem like many but it's brutal and heart breaking for us and shouldn't happen. Everyone knows the law

I know if my husband caught one he'd call the police at have it destroyed, it's not worth all the heartbreak for your dog to have a run around someone else's field

anniehm Thu 07-Mar-19 08:05:15

It depends if there are livestock - most fields don't have sheep in them so well trained dogs are fine off lead - we simply call him back and put him on a lead if we see sheep or horses, for cattle we just make him walk to heel as often his presence causes cows to chase us (we can instruct him to go ahead and wait at the style). Ok I have actually trained my dog and he's been loose with sheep accidentally and he rounded them up.

thecatsthecats Thu 07-Mar-19 09:43:08

Re the seal - we found an injured seal on the beach at Bamburgh and a family with their dog were standing by too.

Their dog wasn't nipping at it, but was prancing around its face and mucking around, and the poor seal was obviously distressed. The owners were bloody oblivious!

Soubriquet Thu 07-Mar-19 09:53:21

I don’t think some people realise just how sensitive sheep can be

Your dog may “only be playing” but to the sheep, especially if pregnant, it could be seen as a danger. They end up aborting their own pregnancies when that happens.

I remember walking through a field with my dog and my nans dog. It was clear, until we rounded a corner and suddenly there were sheep everywhere.

I knew the two dogs wouldn’t have done anything. Mine was so lazy he wouldn’t have even chased a sheep, but I also knew it sometimes can just take a dogs presence to cause panic. I immediately got both dogs on the leads and turned round and went back to find an alternative route

Soubriquet Thu 07-Mar-19 09:58:33

And that poor baby. That dog couldn’t have given any more obvious “leave me alone” signs

The stupid owner completely ignored it and as a result the baby was bit

MoanaMakeWay Thu 07-Mar-19 10:05:12

I have a sibe and was visiting a friend in Norfolk, very open fields for miles.

As I was getting her out of the car, her plastic collar clip hit the edge of the boot and smashed. She ran for it. Sibes have a high prey drive and are a nightmare to get back as they just run and run. I panicked massively then heard gunshots and I just remember running through a field calling her and squeaking her toy but fearing the worst. It was terrifying and I was petrified she'd cause damage to livestock, though I couldn't see any.

Thankfully, she came bounding back across the field as my friend arrived home to tell me there was no adjacent livestock and the bangs were bird scarers. We'd been very, very lucky.

Now I use a buckled collar and a harness anywhere I think there is a risk of surrounding livestock. She never goes off lead anyway apart from at dog training in an enclosed arena. I thought I was careful but accidents happen and now I'm more careful.

Some people just don't care. They don't understand that even a dog playing with a sheep can cause it to miscarry. So many dog owners are entitled.

Junkmail Thu 07-Mar-19 10:06:58

I’ve been caught short once when sheep appeared out of nowhere but my dogs recall so there was no disaster. I genuinely think some people just don’t care. I don’t get it. Every year there are pleas to keep dogs on lead around livestock and every year it’s ignored. It’s awful. Some dog walkers are so oblivious to the environment and to others when they are out I just despair and really don’t know what the answer is.

The thing I find bizarre is that people don’t even seem to care about their own dog’s safety either. I have seen a dog kicked nearly to death by a horse, jaw completely shattered, it is lucky to be alive. The owner had allowed the dog to approach a horse off-leash and nearly lost her dog as a result. Why did she not think of the risks involved? Another recently incident a man allowed his dog to run off-leash across the car park in front of my car as I was leaving. I rolled the window down and told him this was dangerous and he got extremely defensive and angry. I was stating a fact. Some people have strange thought processes when animals are involved. I don’t know if it anthropomorphism or what but animals are animals and don’t understand the danger the same way humans do. It’s our job to protect them and I really do think that some owners forget that.

MoanaMakeWay Thu 07-Mar-19 10:08:59

I agree Junkmail. A lot of people here seem to walk their dogs next to busy roads off lead. They think it's clever because their dog is so well trained.

I witnessed a bomb proof border collie jump due to a car backfire once and he went under a van. If he'd have been on a lead he would have survived. These people care more about being seen with the perfect dog than their actual dog.

Brilliantidiot Thu 07-Mar-19 10:15:56

@k1233 and @AleFailTrail

I had a few incidents when I had a horse years ago, I help a friend with hers in return for riding a couple of days a week and he lives with dogs, but we have encounters where we ride still - and dogs running into the horses' fields. Our horses ignore them, or if chased a well timed double barrel, or head down, ears back, teeth out charge does the trick! We're allowed to take our dogs but as long as they're under control and I introduced mine to the horses slowly, the horses did the warning. The dogs learned pretty fast. The horses and dogs respect each other and mainly ignore each other now.
Worse however are those bloody extendible leads. A friend's horse needed tendon surgery and is now a totally different animal from the lovely, fit and lively cob she had. She's a nervous wreck out hacking. An idiot let their dog run round the horse on one of those leads, dog was barking, lead got wrapped around legs and all 3 ended up on the floor. Dog and rider unhurt, horse badly injured as the thin lead wrapped tight around her back legs, causing major injury to the tendon. Owner blamed rider for 'not having control'
I hate to think that the poorest of society, but also responsible, would miss out on loving an animal, like pensioners who's main company and reason to go out could be a dog, I probably wouldn't have been able to afford a dog license etc a few years ago, however something needs to be done. I don't know if a license again would achieve anything - people shell out £100s for designer dogs that they can't control, so buying a license probably wouldn't phase them. But it's getting worse and innocent people, animals and dogs are suffering.

Ihaventgottimeforthis Thu 07-Mar-19 10:21:08

When I was a child we were walking a friend's horrible little daschund on the moor. It scarpered, and ended up chasing a flock of sheep for a mile.He was a nasty piece of work and I have no doubt if he had the opportunity he would have bitten, but at the very least the sheep were stressed out and running over the roads.
Thirty years ago and I still remember our horror. Livestock come before dogs.

Slowknitter Thu 07-Mar-19 10:23:24

YANBU. My dog shows no interest in sheep, but I still put him on the lead if we go anywhere near sheep. It's a no brainer. Nobody knows 100% that their dog wouldn't chase sheep, even if it has never done so before.

TheFaerieQueene Thu 07-Mar-19 10:25:42

It is ridiculous. I walk though an estate parkland every day as part of my dog’s walk. There are sheep there at the moment, so my dog is on a lead. There are signs up to say dogs should be in a lead, but no, some people are just too full of themselves to think it applies to them. These sheep are obviously pregnant so it is important for them to not be stressed.
Luckily my dog isn’t in the slightest bit interested in the sheep - just their poo.

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Thu 07-Mar-19 10:26:31

Nobody ever thinks their precious dog will be the one to lash out and attack whether it be a sheep, a child or anyone else. They think their dog will never do it so don't see why they should keep them on a lead.

It's infuriating. I live in a rural areas where there is farmland and families that go out in walks and it's astounding how many dog owners don't even carry a lead with them!

Insecure123 Thu 07-Mar-19 10:31:41

grew up on a farm, live on a farm, my dogs all raised on the farm and have great recall and don't even look at livestock. The still go on a lead everytime I am near a field of livestock. Dogs are dogs, they have instincts which cannot be 100% trained out of them.

If a route i am on leads through a field of cows I just won't walk through it. We will go through sheep on lead, I wouldn't feel comfortable going through cows.

I have had many attacks on my chickens from out of control dogs too!!!

On a point away from livestock I have seen people walking right through the middle of the farmers fields and letting little fido run riot too - completely off the path at the top of the field. not a care in the world that they are walking on someone else's property/crops!

There was a post on FB this Morning where a herd oc Highland cows had to be sold. The family had farmed/grazed their herd on this bit of NT ground for generations I believe, without issue. Someone walked the route with their dog of lead, which worried/upset the cows and the cows reacted. Walker complained to HSE - the herd is gone! There are many who fail to see being able to walk such nice paths and routes on others land as a privilege and don't respect it as such! It is very sad

RhymingRabbit Thu 07-Mar-19 10:39:12

We need to reintroduce dog licenses and registration. It should be issued in two parts. Part 1: Needs proof that dog was purchased from a registered/licensed breeder or a registered rescue centre, dog has been chipped and has current vaccines etc. Part 2: Issued within a year upon proof that dog and owner have attended registered training centre, and certificate from vet that dog is healthy. Anyone found to have a dog with no license is fined a hefty sum. Money made from dog licenses/registration/fines goes towards rehoming, cleaning up the tsunami of shit on our streets.

AnnaComnena Thu 07-Mar-19 10:41:40

A lot of people here seem to walk their dogs next to busy roads off lead. They think it's clever because their dog is so well trained.

Even when they're on lead they can be dangerous. I once saw a woman walking two medium sized dogs on leads (not extendable). They both suddenly lunged into the road barking furiously at something on the other side. Fortunately the driver approaching was going slowly enough to be able to stop before he hit them. Then he had to wait while the woman tried to haul the dogs back onto the pavement - they weren't big dogs, but they were too strong for her.

'On lead' doesn't always = 'under control'. One rarely sees a dog walking to heel any more, on or off lead.

twistable Thu 07-Mar-19 10:49:10

I'm so fed up of entitled dog owners and their "babies". Dogs off leads, no acceptance that some people just don't like dogs or are wary of them, dog shit everywhere.

Entitled pricks

RhymingRabbit Thu 07-Mar-19 10:56:45

Me too @twistable. I live in a very naice area where it seems having a dog completes ones Boden family. Houses are expensive, and schools are good, but you can't go for a walk without dodging piles of steaming dog shit. It enrages me. Shit on the pavements, shit hanging from trees, shitty little black bags left in clusters at the side of the pavement. Not to mention the local sustrans path that is unusable to runners, cyclists (or anyone in clean clothes) at certain times of day because dogs will just bound up and have a good old jump. It boils my piss.

Honestly DOG LICENSES and compulsory training (both owner and dog) - if you can't afford them tough shit, you can't afford a dog.

MereDintofPandiculation Thu 07-Mar-19 11:03:38

* I remember reading not so long back someone was killed by a pack of dachshunds, so maybe they are more capable of killing than they appear.* Dachshund means "badger hound" (dachs is German for badger. Badgers are vicious things, and dachshunds were bred to help hunters by following badgers down their burrows.

CallMeRachel Thu 07-Mar-19 11:10:55

I think some dog owners are caught out unaware when the empty fields they walk in daily or weekly with their dogs are suddenly filled with sheep one day - with no warning signs.

I think farmers should put signage up and lock gates as a basic and obvious preventive measures to stop the accidental walkers going in. However, others who allow their dog to run free knowing there is sheep in the field are unbelievably stupid.

RhymingRabbit Thu 07-Mar-19 11:14:57

I think farmers should put signage up and lock gates as a basic and obvious preventive measures to stop the accidental walkers going in

I think that farmers probably have enough to do and dog walkers should do a bit of research before they choose to walk on someone else's land with their dogs off lead.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »