Talk

Advanced search

To think Karen Bradley must resign?

(70 Posts)
BruthasTortoise Wed 06-Mar-19 21:27:17

AIBU to think that Karen Bradley, the Secretary of State for NI, must resign after her comments today in which she totally exonerated all members of the security forces for their actions during the conflict in NI? I know the DUP are the Tories partners in power but surely this is a step too far?

doIreallyneedto Thu 07-Mar-19 15:39:21

@EmeraldShamrock - I really truly do NOT agree with her view point. I really came across badly.

Reading back over your post, I can see I misread it. I'm very sorry about that.

Just shows though, doesn't it, how easy it is to misunderstand one another?I guess read a second time before reacting, should be my new motto 😁

10IAR Thu 07-Mar-19 15:45:37

Ballymurphy and Bloody Sunday are just two high profile examples where she's clearly completely wrong. I'm sure there are more.

She's absolutely not the right person for the job she holds, and frankly shouldn't be in any position of power.

1 Para in particular bear looking into, it was a rogue battalion under the control of COs with one purpose. To terrorise and intimidate Irish Catholics.

DGRossetti Thu 07-Mar-19 16:30:19

Looks like Amber Rudd decided to dive in front of this one to make it go away ....

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/amber-rudd-diane-abbott-coloured-woman-racism-bbc-jeremy-vine-a8812251.html

MillytantForceit Thu 07-Mar-19 16:36:04

Ignorant, stupid and lacking self-awareness.

She is an English Tory. She has not the faintest clue as to how that will affect the way she is perceived by nationalists.

By all accounts, her ignorance has been exasperating folk in NI for some time.

Should be sacked. But won't be.

EmeraldShamrock Thu 07-Mar-19 16:37:19

doIreallyneedto No problem, I have done it myself before grin

DGRossetti Thu 07-Mar-19 16:41:34

Even if you were given a job you knew nothing about, surely you'd do some reading up in your spare time...

Only if you gave a shit.

scubadoobie Thu 07-Mar-19 16:50:15

She's obviously never heard of, for instance, Bloody Sunday, The Glenanne Gang, or the Miami Showband Massacre, to name a few. Given her record as SoSNI, it's very clear that she knows nothing, nor cares to learn anything, about Northern Ireland. She's content to take her lead from the fidelitous and finance scandal-fee top minds of the DUP. She has to go.

Katterinaballerina Thu 07-Mar-19 16:54:57

Amber Rudd’s is bad but I think she has grounds for claiming she misspoke and turned ‘woman of colour’ into the offensive ‘coloured woman.’ It’s not quite on the same level as someone using the N word and then claiming they misspoke - why would that word even be in your vocabulary.

DGRossetti Thu 07-Mar-19 16:54:58

She's obviously never heard of, for instance, Bloody Sunday

We can't all like U2 ....

Katterinaballerina Thu 07-Mar-19 16:57:25

As FiddleFaddleDingDong said, Chris Grayling must be having a well earned day off.

Katterinaballerina Thu 07-Mar-19 16:58:46

They did infringe my human rights by automatically downloading that album onto my iPad but they’ve never (to my knowledge) shot unarmed, peaceful protesters.

ataleoftwothenthreethenfour Thu 07-Mar-19 17:04:01

I just cannot understand this woman. She is older than me, I googled her just be sure, how can she not have heard of events like Bloody Sunday? What's she been doing with her time? I'm English and certainly no expert on N.Ireland (but then I don't have her job, so I don't have to be). Even I can see what a crass and stupid statement she made, she should be better informed and she should resign out of sheer embarrassment.

DGRossetti Thu 07-Mar-19 17:05:03

They did infringe my human rights by automatically downloading that album onto my iPad but they’ve never (to my knowledge) shot unarmed, peaceful protesters.

On a serious note - to be fair to the lads - I recall Bono being very vocal about the situation ... didn't he try and teach Americans a bit by holding up two flags and saying all he saw were rags of blood ? Also didn't he climb the lighting rigs to plant a white flag ?

Obviously in the days before they were shit ....

Katterinaballerina Thu 07-Mar-19 17:05:58

Yep. Sound on Bloody Sunday.

DGRossetti Thu 07-Mar-19 17:10:59

how can she not have heard of events like Bloody Sunday? What's she been doing with her time?

Considering there was a 10 year inquiry into it not that long ago ?

You have to question her fitness for office ?

When I rule the world, we'll have public examinations of ministerial candidates - a la "Mastermind" - where they have to convince "the peoples panel" they aren't a waste of space.

No one wants SMEs. But at the same time, no one wants people who would score lower than my wisdom teeth in a senior government position.

MillytantForceit Thu 07-Mar-19 17:40:16

Simple Duffer's Quiz for prospective NI Minsters:

1. What is the difference between Northern Ireland and the north of Ireland?

2. What is the difference between the Republic of Ireland and the Irish Republic?

3. What is the difference between Ulster and the Six Counties?

4. What is the difference between the British Isles and the British Islands?

5. Who were:
(a) The Black & Tans
(b) The B-Specials
(c) The Third Force

6. What is the diiference between NORAD and NORAID

Legofriday Thu 07-Mar-19 18:01:46

Honest to fuck, how can someone this stupid be a minister? How can she not know the most basic things about NI? I don't really understand how someone interested in politics knows nothing about NI. It's really the most important thing that's happened in my lifetime (before this Brexit fuck up) in British politics. How does that pass you by if you read newspapers? I do not understand the sheer level of ignorance. She has to resign.

Graphista Thu 07-Mar-19 18:46:11

It's incidents like these that make me so shocked at people who try and make out that the Labour Party are worse than the tories in the bigotry stakes.

Labour Party absolutely has its problems but so often those talking about those talk as if the tories aren't bigoted - they've always been massively so, they've just (mostly, for a time) got very skilled at hiding it from the public.

Though certainly the recent tories have an appalling track record on this. Boris Johnson comes to mind obviously but there's been lots of more subtle comments AND it shows in their policies/actions too.

NI is very much being treated as an inconvenience by the tories at the moment, not least regarding brexit.

You'd think, if for mere "self preservation" reasons (have they forgotten that the troubles didn't just take place in NI?) they'd get a fucking grip and put a minister in place that has at least the first clue of the history of the country.

Ffs the least she can do is even read the most basic info on it IT'S HER JOB!!

If Chris grayling is having a day off thank fuck! Anyone watch last leg? Apparently his cock ups have so far cost the country £533m!

Agree on her age being a factor too, she's 2 years older than me certainly old enough to remember how bad it was (though admittedly the uk media bias at the time towards the Protestant side of things won't have helped matters in terms of people's awareness. No excuse for that now though).

"When I rule the world, we'll have public examinations of ministerial candidates - a la "Mastermind" - where they have to convince "the peoples panel" they aren't a waste of space." Ooft don't get me started.

Makes me think of that thing that went around Facebook (not sure about how accurate it was) when apparently each minister was particularly well suited for each role. Something like an athlete as the sports minister, dr as the health minister etc

When I look at our mps and the cabinet (and shadow cabinet) roles they're in and you look at their qualifications and work history, they're rarely connected in any way! Its bonkers!

Any good manager puts people in roles that play to their strengths, and SACKS the ones with none!

And (said this before) honestly given most mps have supposedly had good often Oxbridge educations - if I were anything to do with those institutions I'd find it fucking embarrassing how thick they are!

Tomtontom Thu 07-Mar-19 18:53:52

Can we add Andrea Leadsom to this shitshower? When asked for a debate in parliament about Islamophobia, she said it was a matter for the Foreign Office.

Does she think all Muslims are foreigners, or does she just not think? It's not like this isn't a prevalent issue for the Conversative Party.

LadyGregorysToothbrush Thu 07-Mar-19 18:56:13

She was elected in May 2010, so would likely have been in the Commons in the day David Cameron apologised on behalf of the British government for the Bloody Sunday killings and said they were “unjustified and unjustifiable” (June 2010). Even more remarkable and damning ignorance in light of that.

Here’s his statement in full - worth reading for anyone who still buys into the “Our Boys Above All” mentality.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »