Talk

Advanced search

To think Karen Bradley must resign?

(70 Posts)
BruthasTortoise Wed 06-Mar-19 21:27:17

AIBU to think that Karen Bradley, the Secretary of State for NI, must resign after her comments today in which she totally exonerated all members of the security forces for their actions during the conflict in NI? I know the DUP are the Tories partners in power but surely this is a step too far?

LivLemler Thu 07-Mar-19 13:15:56

She'll get away with it. They all do, and let's face it - she was only grossly offensive and ignorant about NI. Who cares about us?! I am not sure it's actually possible to be incompetent enough to get fired from this government.

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 07-Mar-19 13:17:19

Karen Bradley is the embodiment of the utter contempt the British government has for NI and its people.

hanahsaunt Thu 07-Mar-19 13:28:16

Chris Grayling is still in post ...

EmeraldShamrock Thu 07-Mar-19 13:29:11

She must go, I suspect she is not as ignorant or stupid as she would like you to believe.
She is on par with Katie Hopkins, only she has some power.
As pps have posted Karen has said many shocking things, this is horrendous even for her.

sue51 Thu 07-Mar-19 13:30:06

The apology isn't enough. For a woman in her position to display such ignorance is unacceptable. She should resign or be sacked.

Jebuschristchocolatebar Thu 07-Mar-19 13:32:46

She is a sad reflection of British people in general who don’t have a clue or care about those of us who identify as Irish in The North of Ireland. Who cares about any of us as long as Brexit happens, the dup get their way and the troubles kick off again. Fun times ahead

FiddleFaddleDingDong Thu 07-Mar-19 13:33:34

Her comments make a mockery of the British govt's apology for Bloody Sunday.

UterusUterusGhali Thu 07-Mar-19 13:36:43

YANBU.
Im actually quite cross about it.

doIreallyneedto Thu 07-Mar-19 13:38:56

@FiddleFaddleDingDong - Her comments make a mockery of the British govt's apology for Bloody Sunday.

I suspect her comments are representative of the silently held opinions of many in the government.

JRMisOdious Thu 07-Mar-19 13:42:41

Jebuschristchocolatebar

She is a sad reflection of British people in general who don’t have a clue or care about those of us who identify as Irish in The North of Ireland. Who cares about any of us as long as Brexit happens, the dup get their way and the troubles kick off again. Fun times ahead“

(I don’t know a great deal about the implications for you personally but know just a little, my stepdad is Irish).

I care blush and I don’t want Brexit.

jusdepamplemousse Thu 07-Mar-19 13:43:09

I have rarely felt anger towards a politician like I felt towards her after those comments yesterday. Given I live in NI and the political age we currently inhabit that is really something.

She is so careless, so crass, so ignorant, so arrogant to display her lack of even basic knowledge (not to mention basic diplomacy). She and her party disgust me. Wickedly and wilfully uninterested and uninformed and completely unable and indeed apparently unwilling to uphold the British state’s obligations as guarantors of the NI peace.

FiddleFaddleDingDong Thu 07-Mar-19 13:48:48

'Karen Bradley "is not fit for to be the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland” after comments about the Troubles says former police ombudsman Baroness Nuala O'Loan'

implantsandaDyson Thu 07-Mar-19 14:00:39

Her position is completely untenable. At the minute as well as awaiting instruction re possible prosecution regarding Bloody Sunday, the Ballymurphy murders inquest is currently ongoing and has recently heard evidence from a man who was shot as an 11 year old. I can't even fathom Karen Brady's thought process.

EmeraldShamrock Thu 07-Mar-19 14:01:23

I rewatched it, she really reacted in angry to the 90% terrorist comment, not professional at all.
I suspect her comments are representative of the silently held opinions of many in the government
I agree, though a person in power should never share it.
In many patriotic Irish eyes, there'd have been no need for terrorist killings had British RUC not terrorised catholic folk.
None if the killings can be justified, so many family's broken but both had their reasons.

FiddleFaddleDingDong Thu 07-Mar-19 14:03:41

Her position is completely untenable

At any other time in recent history she'd be gone, but these days...

FiddleFaddleDingDong Thu 07-Mar-19 14:06:23

CathalMacCoille

@CMacCoille
Two islands, two different media worlds.
In Ireland, north and south, controversy rages over what #KarenBradley said in the House of Commons.
In Britain, it's barely mentioned, if mentioned at all.
For example, in the newspaper review on @BBCr4today: not a word.

^^ sums it up really.

doIreallyneedto Thu 07-Mar-19 14:18:04

@EmeraldShamrock - In many patriotic Irish eyes, there'd have been no need for terrorist killings had British RUC not terrorised catholic folk.

You should, perhaps, do a little research into the history of NI. I don't know any Irish people who have such an ignorant opinion. Most know what led to the troubles and that the root cause was institutionalised discrimination against catholics. The Catholic community initially welcomed the British army with open arms as they believed they would protect them. How wrong they were.

Murder is murder. It is wrong if it is committed by terrorists. It is wrong if it is committed by agents of the government (e.g. army, police). It is wrong, full stop. Condoning murder by the crown forces is no different to condoning murder by terrorist organisations.

WhatchaMaCalllit Thu 07-Mar-19 14:32:01

It's is a really shocking day - as someone Irish watching this play out in front of my eyes, I think she has no option but to go.
To have appointed someone who is so wholly unsuited, uninformed, ignorant of the history of the situation as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, is unfathomable.

I completely agree that Mo Mowlam must be turning in her grave. It is utterly shocking and at such an important time in NI politics, with the Bloody Sunday inquiry to decide if the soldiers who opened fire on unarmed civilians is criminal and with the DUP holding on to shared power in Westminster with the Tories and Brexit still to happen at the end of the month, it is more than important to have someone in this role who is not ignorant of the basic facts of the history of Northern Ireland and Anglo-Irish politics, it is in fact VITAL!!!

TheWernethWife Thu 07-Mar-19 14:33:43

JRM - Angela Rayner is a hard working MP, and is passionate about decent education opportunities for our children. She is not my MP but I admire her.

Alsohuman Thu 07-Mar-19 14:42:36

If Chris Grayling hasn’t resigned or been sacked, there’s little prospect of any other ministers not being safe.

EmeraldShamrock Thu 07-Mar-19 14:47:47

Most know what led to the troubles and that the root cause was institutionalised discrimination against catholics
Yes I aware of this. I may not know lots of things but I do lots of the history in NI have put across well what I was trying to say, I meant there not have been terrorist murders if the Catholic community were not been institutionalised and discriminated against.
My in-laws and cousins are NI Catholics so I am very much aware of how the fighting started and how the soldiers were once welcomed, I am also aware of how they turned on the people, throwing them from their homes, terrorising the people.
I am not condoning murder from either side for a second.

doIreallyneedto Thu 07-Mar-19 15:00:57

@EmeraldShamrock - I agree, though a person in power should never share it.

You stated that you agreed with her viewpoint. That suggests, rather strongly, that you believe all of the killings by the British forces were justified. That may not have been your intention but that is the way it reads.

CordeliaEarhart Thu 07-Mar-19 15:02:02

She is a sad reflection of British people in general who don’t have a clue or care about those of us who identify as Irish in The North of Ireland.

There are a lot of us who do have a clue, do care, and are appalled. The implications for NI are why I was so passionately pro-Remain. I'm by no means special amongst my friends and family.

FlaviaAlbia Thu 07-Mar-19 15:08:51

Yes, she's astonishingly ignorant about NI and it just keeps getting more and more obvious.

Even if you were given a job you knew nothing about, surely you'd do some reading up in your spare time...

EmeraldShamrock Thu 07-Mar-19 15:19:13

You stated that you agreed with her viewpoint
I really truly do NOT agree with her view point. I really came across badly.
I suspect her comments are representative of the silently held opinions of many in the government
I agreed many representatives hold the same opinion.
I think the woman should be sacked.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »