Talk

Advanced search

To go to the gym at 20st

(126 Posts)
TenTonneTessy Wed 06-Mar-19 18:26:58

I’m going through a bad time in life and have never been through the doors of a gym.
I could desperately do with the weight loss but I would also love a place to go for some solace and there’s a pool and steam room.

Am I insane to consider going at my size?

I won’t take offense, I’d really like to know before signing up as I’m not in a position to lose money if I’ll be laughed at or jeered.

dementedma Sun 10-Mar-19 20:09:26

well done Op. I dont want to go to gyms (and can't afford it) so am doing the couch to 5k running outside. Now on week 8 of the 9 week programme and can run for 25 minutes. Have seen a huge difference in my body shape

bridgetreilly Sun 10-Mar-19 20:00:00

*I am not scared of moving my body any more.

My body never actually scared me. ;)

bridgetreilly Sun 10-Mar-19 19:59:24

That is brilliant, OP, well done! I went to the gym for the first time ever last summer and was so scared. I needn't have been! I'm still overweight and unfit but I am not scared of my body any more.

SignOnTheWindow Sun 10-Mar-19 19:27:41

@TenTonneTessy that's such a lovely update. Well done!

Reading this thread has motivated me to try to get fit again after a very, very sedentary couple of years.

Do you mind sharing what tankini you got? I can't wear swimming costumes because I'm too long in the body and my bum just gobbles them up...

Ginger153 Sun 10-Mar-19 19:14:27

Late to reading your update, but hooray! Well done smile

Loopytiles Sat 09-Mar-19 15:24:34

Great updates!

There was a good thread (in style and beauty?) recently on budget gymwear.

Definitely download something nice to listen to - I like podcasts.

FashionFoodLaughs Sat 09-Mar-19 15:24:32

Well done OP! I was a size 16-18 now a size 10-12 after 2 years of gym attendance and WW followed by tracking calories on my Fitbit. Agree that the mental benefits are as great as the physical ones. Good luck on your journey x

NannyRed Sat 09-Mar-19 15:19:06

Well done on taking back control of your life and your body.

I’d like to think nobody would laugh at you, but I can’t promise that. What I can promise is, as your weight melts away, you will have the last laugh because at least you’re not as nasty as anyone who did laugh at you. You know the old “I might be fat, but I can get thin, you’ll always be a bitch” sort of thoughts can keep you motivated on your new lifestyle.

Best of luck with it all, I wish I could be as motivated, but I’m just lazy.

HeresMe Sat 09-Mar-19 14:47:39

I'm currently changing career to be a personal trainer/gym instructor, gyms are for everyone whatever shape or size.

If i saw someone overweight at a gym, I am so happy they are doing something for their self. Don't worry we are all wrapped up in our routines to even notice someone else.

Noticed you have been well done, for making a positive change, you can keep on doing it.

If you have a tough time lately exercise is amazing for your mental health

EvaHarknessRose Sat 09-Mar-19 14:38:39

Thanks for updating, so pleased you went in. I'm a size 18 and I ran 5k this morning, 3 minutes faster than my personal best. Love the gym, love running.

LifeofClimb Sat 09-Mar-19 14:23:06

Woo, go TenTonneTessy 👊🏼 That’s amazing! Glad you had fun

itsbritneybiatches Thu 07-Mar-19 17:35:57

Well done op.

In a couple of weeks you will look back and I bet you will be doing a little bit more!

That's the hardest part going the first time.

I hope your really proud of yourself.

Don't be scared to try some weights you won't bulk up it will change your shape.

I'm starting these now after speaking to another lady at the gym. She's lost five stone. Over a year with weights and she looks fab. She looks strong and womanly.

TalkinPaece Thu 07-Mar-19 14:00:35

Tessy
Well done - and yes, keep going

Lots of women obsess about getting thin
at the same time as the blokes obsess about bulking up
there are always people recovering from injuries who look fit until you realise they walk wonky
and in the pool, nobody can see below your neck or that my legs are wooly at this time of year

being fit is such a good thing to aim for

kaytee87 Thu 07-Mar-19 13:54:54

Well done op!
I doubt I'd even notice you and if I did, the only thing I'd think is 'good for her', if I thought anything at all.

GabsAlot Thu 07-Mar-19 13:51:18

thanks op hopefully i'll biuld up the courage myself

TenTonneTessy Thu 07-Mar-19 13:42:29

I ordered it on Amazon, they do up to size 24 and it has Prime so should be here asap hopefully! I made sure to choose one with lots of good reviews from plus size women and it only cost about £18 whereas plus size shops they cost about £50

I’m so happy I got over the mental hurdle and I’ve managed 16k steps between treadmill and dog walk!

I’ll definitely invest in a personal trainer when I feel a bit more comfortable.

Just about to do a shop now, no idea what I should be eating now as a person who “gyms” grin certainly not swayed to the diet I had been gorging on that’s for sure!

PinkBuffalo Thu 07-Mar-19 13:39:17

Well done OP!!! That's the hardest part is going there for the first time, and you've done it!

doIreallyneedto Thu 07-Mar-19 13:35:35

I hope I don't sound patronising, but the only thing I would feel about someone very overweight at the gym is admiration. I would think fair play for getting out there and doing something for their health.

And then I would just carry on, trying not to die, and being completely oblivious to everyone else.

GabsAlot Thu 07-Mar-19 13:32:41

did*

GabsAlot Thu 07-Mar-19 13:31:50

good f ro you tessy-youre encouraging me now where dod u order your tankini from i need to start doing something

TenTonneTessy Thu 07-Mar-19 13:11:06

I did it!

So many times I was about to turn back and even in the car Park I had second thoughts but came on here and read all the encouraging comments again and thought how happy I would be being able to report back that I had gone!

There was a lovely mish mash of different types of people and different ages etc. I was the biggest woman but it didn’t feel bad or anything and the fact there was one or two men bigger/taller and big eased my mind about breaking the machines!

There was no internet connection though s I couldn’t listen to my own music so made do with an audio book instead which didn’t pack the same punch! But I’ll know to download a playlist next time.

I always had myself down as a “walker” because I walk every day but my pace myst be incredibly slow because I was sweating after 45 minutes on the treadmill with an incline at a power walk speed!

I’m so excited to use the pool, I ordered a tankini (no I wouldn’t wear the one I pictured above, much as I’d love to blush)
Tankini should be here tomorrow or Monday.

Thank you all so so much for the encouragement, I genuinely wouldn’t have gone without this thread!

PurplePattern Thu 07-Mar-19 13:01:01

Definitely go! I joined a non-council gym, and even so, honestly, nobody cares. As so many posters have said, gym-goers are too focused on their own goals and workouts, they really couldn't care less what those around them look like (I mean this in the nicest possible waywink)

Good luck and have fun!

Omzlas Thu 07-Mar-19 12:30:15

I started going when I was 120+kg and nobody batted an eyelid. The only.person who approached me was a member of staff (because he recognised that I was new) to make sure I was comfortable using the equipment and to flag him if I needed any help with settings / adjustments etc etc

There are people larger than me in the gym and every time I see a new face, I literally just think "bloody good on you!"
I go in the morning (6am) and the faces are usually the same at that time so there's now a casual 'nod' between some of us but nobody has ever made me feel uncomfortable, even the body building types who are rippling in muscle <<drool

Fill your boots OP, you'll be amazed how different you feel in a few months. I recommend music, a book or even Netflix if they have free WiFi, I can easily smash episodes on the treadmill now but often read on the recumbent bikes (which are comfier than the normal type FYI) and it made the time fly and it seemed easier too

fieldfaresareback Thu 07-Mar-19 12:19:41

Well done OP - the first hurdle was asking the question and you did that! I totally understand how intimidating the gym can be but literally everyone is self conscious, whether that is in a nervous way, or in an ego-driven ‘look at me way’. The weights area can be even more so if there are big meathead types in there making a lot of noise etc. but I’ve found it to be all front- I’ve reached a pretty respectable stage of strength and physique having never been in a gym before until 18 months ago, and found that along the way I haven’t been judged, in fact a lot of those guys have been kind, polite, encouraging and helpful. There will always be wankers like in all walks of life, but the best medicine for them is not to react or notice them at all!
I’d recommend engaging a personal trainer- one who you can get on with and understands your goal and your feelings towards the gym. It doesn’t have to be a long term cost, bit does help in terms of building a worthwhile programme, building confidence and ensuring technique and form is spot on to maximise the benefit of the exercise and prevent injury. Also, don’t discount lifting weights - they are far more effective at body recomposition and general biomechanic improvement than cardio alone- and the metabolic effects last far longer post-workout. Good luck!

LaurieMarlow Thu 07-Mar-19 12:10:00

OP please don't let the opinion of idiots impact what you want to do and what's right for you.

Go and enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »