Talk

Advanced search

To go to the gym at 20st

(126 Posts)
TenTonneTessy Wed 06-Mar-19 18:26:58

I’m going through a bad time in life and have never been through the doors of a gym.
I could desperately do with the weight loss but I would also love a place to go for some solace and there’s a pool and steam room.

Am I insane to consider going at my size?

I won’t take offense, I’d really like to know before signing up as I’m not in a position to lose money if I’ll be laughed at or jeered.

Jebuschristchocolatebar Wed 06-Mar-19 18:54:24

Go for it . You have nothing to loose. There are all sorts at my gym and I’ve never even stopped to notice anyone. Get a session or two with a trainer if you can and get yourself a programme to start off and before you know it you will be flying. Good luck

bumblenbean Wed 06-Mar-19 18:55:14

Of course you’re not insane! We all have to start somewhere. If anyone even noticed your size the vast majority would just be thinking ‘good for you’ for trying to get healthier! Good luck!

Qsandmore Wed 06-Mar-19 18:55:42

I go to a fancy dan gym and there’s all sorts of shapes and sizes, no one cares. Go for it!

In fact one of the instructors is a big lad but I went to one of his boxing classes and nearly died he could out sit up the rest of us by miles!

ADHMeeee Wed 06-Mar-19 18:55:54

OH was about 24st when he joined. He lost 8, but has put four on since we have been together so we are both looking at joining a local gym

happystory Wed 06-Mar-19 18:59:56

Please go for it! After the first visit, you'll be fine. Do they have Aqua classes, these are great, particularly if you like being in the pool. Good fun and get your heart beating.

NewPapaGuinea Wed 06-Mar-19 19:02:25

Go for it. In 6 months, a year and longer you’ll be glad you did.

TakemebacktoClifton Wed 06-Mar-19 19:02:50

YANBU- go for it and don’t feel self conscious, you’re going there to improve yourself. Stand tall and proud!

sheldonstwin Wed 06-Mar-19 19:04:35

good for you lass - you go

Jsmith99 Wed 06-Mar-19 19:05:25

Go for it! Everyone is there for the same reason, and the place definitely won’t be full of people who look like Olympic athletes. People will respect you for getting off your backside and making some positive changes in your life.

BrizzleMint Wed 06-Mar-19 19:07:02

There's a woman at my (local council) gym who is morbidly obese. She swims several times a week and goes to the gym; I just think good for her for doing something about it.

cocomelon23 Wed 06-Mar-19 19:07:39

You definitely should do it! You will feel AMAZING!

Allgoodfun Wed 06-Mar-19 19:11:51

I’ve recently joined a gym. The first time I went I managed 10 lengths of the pool, just. I tried to do day 1 of couch to 5k on the treadmill and couldn’t do it. I was just so unfit, despite walking miles a day. Now I can swim 50 lengths some days, but only 20 others. Still hate the treadmill but improving. I weigh 10 stone. It’s not about how big you are, it’s about fitness. I felt ridiculous until I realised nobody else cared. They were all doing their own thing. And it has helped my mental health a lot.

TenTonneTessy Wed 06-Mar-19 19:12:31

I’m so glad I posted.
I used to love being active and I do actually walk the dogs for an hour a day (though I wouldn’t admit that to anyone or they’d wonder how I’m this size!)
I had turned to comfort eating and gained a incredible amount of weight quite rapidly.

I’m so glad to hear you all say go in with confidence because lately I feel I’m apologizing and ashamed of my very existence because of how big I have gotten.
If I’m going I want to go unapologetically.

Thank you so much!

EnjoyItAll Wed 06-Mar-19 19:12:57

In my experience most people are so into their own routines they don’t notice people around you. If your not a usual gym go-er or never been into fitness I would recommend a fitness instructor. I thought it was all about the tread mill and other machines but my gym instructor gave me a very varied routine involving weights, push ups (which I’m rubbish at!) boxes, use of the ball and on the mat excercises as well as using the machines. I saw a huge difference in just a matter of weeks and felt great!

MayorMumbum Wed 06-Mar-19 19:12:57

OP I am sixteen stone and also have an obvious leg deformity that has been known to make toddlers at the pool cry on occasion blush, if I can get in the bloody pool and on the treadmill I promise you can to!

I know it's hard but once you do it a couple of times it will get so much easier and you'll feel so good about yourself afterwards! I promise you most people are so wrapped up in what they are doing they won't even glance your way. If anyone judges you for trying to better yourself then fuck their opinion, quite frankly.

Good luck!

Queenunikitty Wed 06-Mar-19 19:14:07

Plenty of much larger people at my gym/pool trying to get healthier. Go for it. I am slim because I am ill and I’m sure you have more energy and are fitter then I am!

arkela Wed 06-Mar-19 19:14:10

Absolutely you should go! Be sure to ask a member of staff how to use the equipment. Most gyms offer a free 30 minute session on how to use everything. Good for you.

TenTonneTessy Wed 06-Mar-19 19:16:48

There’s no chance I would be too heavy for certain machines? The treadmill or seated bike?
I would die of shame if they had to approach me and tell me I’m too big blush

SummerHouse Wed 06-Mar-19 19:16:55

This girl can!

At my gym there is a woman's only room. I don't know why but I walked in and thought "this will be my home..."

All ages, all sizes and no one bats an eyelid at my gym.

SummerHouse Wed 06-Mar-19 19:20:03

Just googled it and high end (which gyms will have rather than a flimsy home version) are between a 300 to 500 lbs weight limit. 300 lbs is about 21 stone so you are below even the lowest limit.

Dippypippy1980 Wed 06-Mar-19 19:20:07

I think you would be fine - equipment t in commercial gyms caters to a large weight range. I remember the threadmill I used at a 500lb limit.

Go and have fun.

angeltattoo Wed 06-Mar-19 19:21:17

Definitely go. I started at the gym about 6 months ago and I am currently LOVING it. I have toned up lots. There is a small ladies only bit at my gym, more often than that I would have it to myself! And now I go to classes and they get easier and easier as I continue.

I would never laugh at anyone doing exercise - no one will notice but anyone who laughs at someone exercising is seriously stupid!

sushisuperstar Wed 06-Mar-19 19:22:42

Please go. You have as much right to be there as anyone else! Gyms are full of people of all ages and sizes, and thats something that should be applauded.

MeetMeInMontauk Wed 06-Mar-19 19:23:49

It's actually very bad form amongst the gym-going community to ever criticise or ridicule the status or efforts of others in the gym. Remember that girl from a few years ago who secretly filmed another gym user and uploaded it to SM with the intention of humiliating them? Quite apart from the legal ramifications, she got torn apart by the online community for her total lack of support and understanding towards the purpose of trying to improve one's health.

Dippypippy1980 Wed 06-Mar-19 19:25:07

I fell off a treadmill in he gym once, hit the wall behind me. Everyone was so caught up in their music and excercise they didn’t even notice!! No one helped me get up, or even sniggered!!

I daoubt anyone will would noice or care what weight you are. Please don’t feel self conscious. There is no need.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »