Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about being in Europe when brexit happens?

(12 Posts)
DiamondsInTheMud Wed 06-Mar-19 16:09:47

If brexit goes ahead on the set date, im going to be working in Germany when it happens.

AIBU to be worried that i flights might get cancelled/delayed and I'll get stranded over there??

My boss thinks im being silly and it wont cause any issues, am I worrying over something that is unlikely to happen?

DanglyBangly Wed 06-Mar-19 16:19:38

I think flights will be fine as they have made preparations. Ferries/ports I’d be less confident about due to extra checks and therefore delays.

Chloemol Thu 07-Mar-19 00:00:00

If you read about it everything stays more or less the same for three months after brexit

dragoning Thu 07-Mar-19 00:06:07

YANBU. I would certainly expect delays in a no deal scenario.

BeachtheButler Thu 07-Mar-19 00:11:43

If you're there already, I doubt if it will make any difference at all. If you were arriving on 29th March, that might be different but, I can't see why it would cause any problems (even if there's a "no deal brexit") if you are already in the country.

AllesAusLiebe Thu 07-Mar-19 00:26:01

AIBU to be worried that i flights might get cancelled/delayed and I'll get stranded over there??

Depends where you are. . .

Ha ha, only joking. Everyone I know thinks the British hysteria over planes not being able to fly after Brexit are completely crazy. It’ll be fine.

KC225 Thu 07-Mar-19 04:12:10

I am in Sweden, I fly back and forth due to an elderly parent. Passport, kids passports and my money - all British. I have no worries. Swedish people where I am are curious about it - there is a small 'svexit' movement up here. It'll be fine.

FrenchFancie Thu 07-Mar-19 04:22:01

It depends massively on the individual countries - if one country decideds to kick up a fuss and delay planes landing / transit / take off then it will have an impact all over schedules as these days aircraft are on such tight schedules there’s very little slack in the day.
Do you actually fly on the 29th or shortly afterwards? I’m sure it will probably be fine

HaventGotAllDay Thu 07-Mar-19 06:19:46

In terms of what?
Most EU govts have said nothing is going to change regarding the bureaucracy and the planes aren't going to stop working.
The pound will go into freefall so change your euros back asap.
When do you mean anyway? Because even the govt isn't talking about 29/3 anymore!

scaryteacher Thu 07-Mar-19 15:08:32

From the DT today:

The Department for Transport has announced that flights to and from the EU will be protected in a no-deal Brexit after the Government finalised its own plans to make sure planes are not grounded.

Both sides said last year they wanted to make sure Brexit did not disrupt air traffic and both have now agreed no deal aviation regulations.

The UK's regulations mean EU airlines can operate in the UK and the EU's regulations mean UK airlines can operate in the EU if Britain leaves the bloc without an agreement.

The regulations have been designed to be in place until March 2020 - effectively they would provide both the EU and the UK with a one year cushion of certainty.

Aviation Minister Baroness Sugg said: "Measures put forward by the UK and the EU will ensure that flights can continue in any scenario; deal or no deal.

“This is good news, not only for the industry but most importantly it reaffirms the fact that passengers can book flights with confidence.

“We expect these contingency measures will never be needed and our efforts remain focused on securing a deal from the EU.”

Lolasinthegarden Thu 07-Mar-19 15:10:47

I was worried about my EU car insurance but insurance company sent me an email this morning saying they will send out physical green cards so car will be still insured to drive in the EU.

Don’t panic, they’re sorting it all out

Jason118 Thu 07-Mar-19 22:19:46

You might want to get an international driving licence from the post office, just in case you're driving over in Germany. If we no-deal the UK driving licence won't cover you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »