Talk

Advanced search

To think that letters home from school should not be hopping with typos, misused words and bad grammar?

(137 Posts)
ReanimatedSGB Wed 06-Mar-19 15:27:00

I was annoyed enough with the Momo letter anyway (yeah, thanks for including a picture of the fucking thing, DS had nightmares) but it's riddled with bad grammar and spelling errors. Now the school newsletter announces that 'Exam's' will be starting next month.

AIBU to email them a notice of my hourly rates for proofreading?

TheNoodlesIncident Wed 06-Mar-19 22:30:44

the childrens’ “draws” would have to be emptied

Is that a direct quotation? Because I wouldn't have put an apostrophe after childrens either, I would have put children's.

I was employed as a receptionist doing admin support on £8,100 per annum. I pointed out to my boss that within our email footer, "its" possessive erroneously had an apostrophe. He replied crisply that it ought to have an apostrophe, and he was educated in a private school so knew better than me. I left it at that, never mentioned it again and noticed a few days later that the apostrophe had been removed...

I don't think you can say that only people on high salaries are competent with SPaG, salary is not commensurate with caring about getting it right.

Someone on here quoted some text of mine, and changed its (possessive) to it's and it's (contraction) to its. I was vexed that somebody saw fit to "correct" me and they were wrong and made sure that if I ever quote anyone, I won't change what they've put, even if there's typos in it.

Nanny0gg Wed 06-Mar-19 22:39:25

I was at bog standard state primary schools in the 1960s and early 1970s. Understanding how to use apostrophes correctly and other basic aspects of punctuation, how to write grammatically and how to spell common words was expected of every child unless they had what wasn't then called a learning disability or specific learning difficulty. All our teachers could do it without even thinking about it. What went wrong?

Me too (except it was 50s, early 60s)

Lots of subjects added to the curriculum. When I was in primary my school report commented on and showed marks in Arithmetic, Comprehension and Composition.
We did do some geography, RE, algebra, geometry, biology (plants), music, PE, history and some French. And a bit of art. But the three reported subjects had the most time spent on them.

Now, science in more depth and breadth, maths very much so. ICT, DT and PHSE . Luckily SPaG is very much coming back but being taught in ridiculous depth in some circumstances. Fronted adverbial anyone?

FrancisCrawford Wed 06-Mar-19 23:05:51

State Funded schools use, for want of a better word, templates detailing the skills required of Support Staff in Education (and other departments) for recruitment, assessment, appraisal and setting the appropriate levels on the pay scales

Oh, you mean Job Competencies. Most people are familiar with those.

Never heard them called “National Employment Competencies/Standards”. That sounds very bureaucratic - and even the Civil Service just calls them Competencies.

Their primary function isn’t to set salaries, as you first stated. It is to set out the role and the responsibilities. The greater the responsibilities, knowledge and experience required, then normally you would expect a greater salary. But the Job Competencies themselves do not set out salaries.

MillicentMartha Wed 06-Mar-19 23:52:45

TheNoodlesIncident the issue is that they should be drawers not draws! grin

Byebyebyebye Thu 07-Mar-19 17:05:39

I work in school admin. I have a history degree from a top university. I went to a grammar school. My SPAG is perfect 🤣. In fact it's the best in the school. I've downshifted for various reasons and actually I am the happiest I've ever been in any job. All the support staff at my school are vastly overqualified. Never make assumptions about anyone's educational levels based on the job they do!

Jinglejanglefish Thu 07-Mar-19 17:33:26

TheNoodlesIncident

The main issue there is the word ‘draws’.

IrmaFayLear Thu 07-Mar-19 17:51:24

There was a bit of friction at the dcs' primary school because the support staff were all superior to the teachers! It was odd when the class teacher had a qualification from (ahem) JustFoundedLastWeek University and the TA a degree in Natural Sciences from Cambridge.

What happened to Miss Read type teachers? When I was at school (1970s) teachers all seemed to be older, tweedier and would never have made a spelling or grammatical error.

IrmaFayLear Thu 07-Mar-19 17:54:32

I should have said academically superior. I'm sure someone will be along to say that it doesnt matter weather its' witch or which as long as they are good with there children.

Footle Thu 07-Mar-19 17:57:30

@Bunnybigears , you'd have been hanged, not hung.

TheNoodlesIncident Thu 07-Mar-19 18:12:08

I didn't miss the point regarding the dodgy spelling of drawers, that is a typical and obvious misspelling! Hence my saying "either" to show there was more than one issue!

MY point was: if you are going to criticise someone else's mistakes, you better make sure that you haven't made any yourself. I thought that would be evident, clearly I was wrong confused

ForalltheSaints Thu 07-Mar-19 18:32:49

OP you are not unreasonable, and a cursory check would only take a minute at most.

exLtEveDallas Sat 09-Mar-19 09:57:06

Fuckadoodle. I didn't proof read this weeks newsletter and I've just read it. 11 mistakes. angry. I can just imagine what our parents are thinking now...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »