Talk

Advanced search

To think that letters home from school should not be hopping with typos, misused words and bad grammar?

(137 Posts)
ReanimatedSGB Wed 06-Mar-19 15:27:00

I was annoyed enough with the Momo letter anyway (yeah, thanks for including a picture of the fucking thing, DS had nightmares) but it's riddled with bad grammar and spelling errors. Now the school newsletter announces that 'Exam's' will be starting next month.

AIBU to email them a notice of my hourly rates for proofreading?

ivykaty44 Wed 06-Mar-19 16:46:57

Bunnybigears I was always told by the professionals I’ve worked with that to be a professional you need to have studied extensively to achieve your qualifications.

School receptionist are lovely and do a great job but I think people are expecting far to much from them and it’s unfair.

AmIRightOrAMeringue Wed 06-Mar-19 16:49:00

I thought you could use an apostrophe at the end of a word to signify the word had been shortened. So photographs often becomes photo's. So maybe they are saying exam's as a shortened form of examinations? My grammar is rubbish though so likely to be wrong on this!

Malbecfan Wed 06-Mar-19 16:54:20

Like LittleCandle, I too corrected mistakes in red and didn't care that they knew it was me. The acting Head actually thanked me for doing it.

In my current school, the dragon receptionist thinks she knows it all because obviously a degree and postgraduate teaching qualification is handed out to just anyone, whereas a receptionist knows good grammar from birth My head of department writes very well but madam receptionist cannot resist changing things. Often this renders the letter useless (like her) so we bypass the system and send them out ourselves.

The last Head had a tenuous grasp of spelling and grammar and we often had to correct his stuff. The current one is very much better (in so many ways) but sadly the admin staff who send things out are not.

Pilgit Wed 06-Mar-19 16:54:42

I once corrected the spelling and grammar on a literacy display! Wasn't very popular but if you're going to do it - do it right!

Someone above said the office staff shouldn't be expected to get this right. I disagree. These letters are the public face of the school and give a bad impression. It makes people question the quality of education there. Whether it's fair or not on the office staff this is the way it is.

ReanimatedSGB Wed 06-Mar-19 16:59:41

Given the big deal that is being made of correct grammar for primary school DC, to the point that the poor little sods are having sleepless nights over their SATs already, I think it's fairly shit that school staff are allowed to get away with bad grammer and spelling errors TBH.

supersop60 Wed 06-Mar-19 17:07:52

A school where I work had their school show recently, and in the programme, the main parts were listed as "Principles".

Brilliantidiot Wed 06-Mar-19 17:08:38

I understand that an apostrophe between the end of the word and an s is the apostrophe stands for the I in is. So photo's would mean 'photo is' as in 'The photo's over there'. 'The photo is over there' and that an apostrophe at the end of a word that ends in s is changing it to plural so more than one photo is photos' BUT I'm not that sure on it either!
My autocorrect bloody changes stuff all the time to not what I mean when I put an apostrophe in, so I'm not too worried when I read stuff like that in general.
Did just read a police statement with 'should of' instead of 'should have' it's a completely different word and makes no sense, but it is obvious what is meant so I think it's just my personal view on that one.
Do think it's poor form from a school though.

wildbhoysmama Wed 06-Mar-19 17:09:34

piglit you've got it completely right, it's the face of the school and needs to be checked by the head/ depute.

I often had to hide behind my hands walking through nursery- their displays were truly awful, written, I think, by a trainee not long out of school.

My children now grimace when I change notices in public places with a pen!

Photo's is not correct to the PP- apostrophes are used to show contraction e.g don't , shan't etc or to show possession e.g. Nicola's purse/ children's play area/ parents' evening- depending on singular or plural.

To another pp I think comic sans is a common dyslexia friendly font. Cream background is also recommended for the same reason.

supersop60 Wed 06-Mar-19 17:10:18

ivykaty - maybe the receptionists are lovely, but someone needs to proofread what they send out.
It's all about communication and meaning. I'm fed up of having to mentally translate what someone has written, to find out what they actually mean.

StealthPolarBear Wed 06-Mar-19 17:16:41

I'm sick of should of.

FrancisCrawford Wed 06-Mar-19 17:16:45

These people producing these letters aren’t professionals

Yes they are. They are professional teachers, professional teaching assistants, professional secretaries etc - they aren’t just doing it for a laugh

as long as you read and understand the message, what’s the problem?

As Shakespeare so rightly said, “aye, there’s the rub”.
Because punctuation makes sentences make sense. Faulty punctuation can change the entire meaning.

Schools above all should prioritise correct spelling and punctuation in all correspondence

CountessVonBoobs Wed 06-Mar-19 17:18:15

I am a secretary/receptionist and I would be hung for these sort of errors.

[small voice] it's "hanged"

I'm sorry

I'll see myself out

Bunnybigears Wed 06-Mar-19 17:19:28

ivykaty44 maybe you have to study extensively to be a professional surgeon but to be a professional secretary you just have to be bloody professional and spell things correctly and put the right dates and basically make your letter make sense.

TheBrilloPad Wed 06-Mar-19 17:21:44

@RiverTam I believe the reason why so many schools use Comic Sans as a font is that every other font available on Microsoft represents the letter "a" exactly how it is written in this mumsnet font. Whereas if you look at the letter "a" in Comic Sans, it is formed correctly, like you would teach to children.

PurpleMice Wed 06-Mar-19 17:22:23

There's a good explanation of why "exam's" is not correct here: www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punctuation/apostrophe/contractions

Basically it's the difference between contractions (which are valid) and "clipped forms", which are not.

ivykaty44 Wed 06-Mar-19 17:25:14

A surgeon is a professional, a secretary isn’t a professional, and that is the problem due to expectation given a similar standard.

FrancisCrawford Wed 06-Mar-19 17:27:16

A secretary is certainly not an amateur

Expecting correct spelling and grammar is a very basic standard in any school,communication.

Ilove31415926535 Wed 06-Mar-19 17:29:11

Comic. Motherfucking. Sans.
No, YANBU! grin
One of my favourites was when a school disco letter (written in Comic. Motherfucking. Sans!!) announced that glowstick's, tattoo's and snack's would be available.
This is the establishment I trust to teach my children!! confused

caughtinanet Wed 06-Mar-19 17:30:52

Of course proper SPAG matters, schools can't have double standards where they expect the pupils to learn it for their SATs but condone errors in school communications. Are the teachers wasting their time?

ivykaty44 Wed 06-Mar-19 17:31:33

I doubt a school secretary would even earn an average uk wage of £28k and that’s in no way belittling the work they do

MillicentMartha Wed 06-Mar-19 17:33:32

I think it's fairly shit that school staff are allowed to get away with bad grammer and spelling errors TBH *grammar

Sorry, SGB but it’s such a great case if Muphry’s Law , I couldn’t resist.

ivykaty44 Wed 06-Mar-19 17:35:51

Yet everyone understood the sentence that SGB had written, so what was the problem?

Skittlesss Wed 06-Mar-19 17:36:11

Countess, I was thinking the same grin

kaldefotter Wed 06-Mar-19 17:36:29

Sorry, AmIRight, but you are a meringue. wink

Skittlesss Wed 06-Mar-19 17:37:36

case if Muphry’s Law

Murphy strikes again grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »