Talk

Advanced search

To think my friend is taking the ......she owes me money.

(125 Posts)
rebeccapp Wed 06-Mar-19 15:04:10

October last year I paid for a weekend away for June this year with my friend.
I put it on my cc as she said she didn't have enough money.
She paid £20 off in November and nothing since.
She owes £180.
Yesterday she was posting pics on Facebook of a shopping trip and getting her hair /tan done (hundreds of pounds of things ).
She rings me saying her dad paid for everything (she's 35 so doesn't ring true )
We have a mutual friend and she told me yesterday that she told her she had thousands in the bank.
Now she's just sent me a pic of her buying lots of cakes.
I said to her seen as you seem to be in the money,I don't suppose you have anything towards the holiday.
She said she didn't unfortunately
I feel like a twat.

WeCameToDance Wed 06-Mar-19 15:09:43

Is there anyone else you can take on holiday in her place? I imagine she is going to try and get out of paying while still going on the holiday. She may pull the ill pay you with this great windfall I'm expecting after the holiday and then it's never spoken of again. Give her the £20 back and find somebody who is willing to pay.

MatildaTheCat Wed 06-Mar-19 15:09:59

‘I don’t suppose you have anything for the holiday?’

Sorry but since she has already proved a CF in not paying you why did you ask in such a wet way?

Message her back saying you CC needs to be paid off and you need full settlement by x date. No please or thank you or if you don’t mind. Make that date within a week or two.

She’s taking the piss and you need to man up.

rebeccapp Wed 06-Mar-19 15:11:41

I'm such a wimp when it comes to asking people for my money back.
It annoys me that she's spending £20 on cakes but can't pay me.

Jupiters Wed 06-Mar-19 15:14:05

I agree with Matilda...tell her directly you need it paid back by a certain date, no more asking nicely.

EssentialHummus Wed 06-Mar-19 15:16:55

What they said^^. And certainly before the holiday.

rattusrattus20 Wed 06-Mar-19 15:17:41

she sounds beyond awful.

Kaddm Wed 06-Mar-19 15:18:02

Can you cancel? Piss taking with money only gets worse. You’ll be out getting food and she’ll conveniently forget her purse.

I’d try once more with: I am quite short and I really need the 180 you owe me. I understand you don’t have it so please could you ask your dad to lend it to you to give me as it is on my credit card(?) for much longer than I expected

BlueMerchant Wed 06-Mar-19 15:19:09

I wouldn't want to go on the weekend away with her anymore. Take someone else- even if your replacement friend is skint I'd offer to pay rather than go with someone who thinks they can walk all over me!.- you have ended up paying for CF anyway.

starfishmummy Wed 06-Mar-19 15:19:41

Is there someone else to go with? If there is then I'd let them take her place

HollowTalk Wed 06-Mar-19 15:20:41

I wouldn't go on holiday. If there isn't anyone who'll go and pay for her place, I would insist on the money back, even if it meant going to the small claims court. She's really taking the piss.

rebeccapp Wed 06-Mar-19 15:22:19

Just did my calculations and it's 18 weeks since she's paid anything.
I don't even want to go now but I've paid for it and nobody else can go.

PinkHeart5914 Wed 06-Mar-19 15:25:30

She wouldn’t be coming on holiday, I’d be going alone. You paid for it so you do not have to take her

I’d text “Hi x, can you tell me when your paying back this holiday money? Or you won’t be able to come as I can not pay for you”

outpinked Wed 06-Mar-19 15:26:11

If you can’t get a refund I would just go, even if it means going alone. Consider the friendship over as well, she’s a CF.

LordNibbler Wed 06-Mar-19 15:29:06

She's not your friend is she? Because a friend wouldn't treat you like this.
I don't think she has any intentions of paying, and will probably still want to go with you and you'll then get landed with paying her expenses whilst away with vague promises of paying you back. You have to decided now if you want to call this a day and just lose what you've already paid.

tanstaafl Wed 06-Mar-19 15:30:53

If it’s not till June, surely you cancel and get your money back?
Then CF can wait on you for her £20 back?

Maybe she’s changed her mind about the holiday anyway?

AliceAforethought Wed 06-Mar-19 15:31:15

Do you have travel insurance? Can you cancel or amend the booking to take someone else?

gamerchick Wed 06-Mar-19 15:32:41

Is there a reason you can't cancel. It's not for a while yet?

Whereareyouspot Wed 06-Mar-19 15:33:19

Be firm

Look friend I really want that money back, it doesn’t seem fair that I paid in good faith as a short term measure to help you out and you have only paid £10 back. I’d like it all in full by Monday thank you. I have my own bills to pay and will acrue interest on the cc also. This could really affect our friendship as right now I feel pretty upset. Thanks.

MadameDD Wed 06-Mar-19 15:36:13

Cancel and get your money back. Or put on FB or whatever, anyone want a holiday, giving details.

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 06-Mar-19 15:37:28

One last text.

As you have not seen fit to pay for your part of the holiday I will be taking someone else or cancelling the booking, as I see fit. I am assuming you no longer wish to go and, frankly, I have no wish to waste my holiday on a selfish, supposed friend. As I won't be getting a refund of the £360 I have paid do not expect the measly £20 you have paid to be returned to you.

She won't pay and you won't be going together anyway... so tell her to piss off!

NC0301191141 Wed 06-Mar-19 15:37:36

I'd definitely be telling her that if she doesn't pay the rest you'll find someone else to take her place, even if you can't actually find anyone.

As it is you've paid for all of it, so if you're not going to get the money, you may as well go and enjoy it on your own, rather than being there with someone that you're going to be pissed off with the whole time you're there.

rebeccapp Wed 06-Mar-19 15:39:19

I bought it on groupon
It was a special offer deal for a cottage /spa type of break

Puzzledandpissedoff Wed 06-Mar-19 15:39:39

I'm such a wimp when it comes to asking people for my money back

I suspect she knows this and is using it to take advantage - CFs often do

Unfortunately only you can handle it, so the options are to sub her the cost (and doubtless to pay for her while on holiday too) or to ask quite bluntly for the money by a set date and tell her she's not going if it doesn't arrive

Your choice

HisBetterHalf Wed 06-Mar-19 15:40:15

Tell her you need it bac k. Shes a CF

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »