Talk

Advanced search

To just give up on my hair and shave it all off?

(19 Posts)
HennyPennyHorror Wed 06-Mar-19 12:00:50

I genuinely feel like it. The trouble is, it's massively thick and now I'm in my 40s it's very grey.

I live in rural Australia and can't get to the city more than once a year or so and even then, I can't afford a posh salon. So when I need a haircut (it's long) I just visit the local one which is shit.

I dye it myself after letting the salon have a go once and it was horribly brassy.

NOw I just buy a mid-dark brown box dye and put it on. It's awful...if I do cut it in a bob or something, because it's so thick, it just mushrooms...it's wavy but looks horrible.

Is there anything I can DO myself? I did try to get the salon to cut it short last time I went and the girl was all "Ooh no...." and just wouldn;t!

Now I bundle it all up in a clip in a loose bun thing and it's dreadful. The condition needs improving badly. Any magical tips anyone can offer?

ShartGoblin Wed 06-Mar-19 12:09:12

Is there anything I can DO myself? I did try to get the salon to cut it short last time I went and the girl was all "Ooh no...." and just wouldn;t!

That's terrible, I'd probably complain about her and insist. If you're in a small town where everyone knows everyone I can understand why you wouldn't want to make a fuss though. Personally, I'd be tempted to cut it off myself and let them tidy it if it went wrong. Also, if you don't like the colour you're getting change it! Have some fun with it, experiment with vibrant colours like reds (if you feel very brave try a dark purple).

HennyPennyHorror Wed 06-Mar-19 12:11:29

Goblin well I didn't want to insist...if she's not confident enough then she'd do a bad job. I've often encountered hairdressers who are scared of my hair because it's that thick. My best one ever is all the way in UK and she used to say I had more or less "Two helpings" of hair.

No point complaining here. Everyone knows everyone else! I'd be the talk of the bloody town! The colour isn't the issue. I'm 46 and no way do I want purple hair! grin I just want a magic fix for the condition really.

GregoryPeckingDuck Wed 06-Mar-19 12:12:24

Get a bablyss blow dry brush. The secret to sleek hair is a good blow dry.

HennyPennyHorror Wed 06-Mar-19 12:16:15

Ok! Thanks Gregory I'll order one online! I'm willing to try anything!

Cocolepew Wed 06-Mar-19 12:16:43

There was a thread the other day about getting an undercut for thick hair maybe that would help?

MatildaTheCat Wed 06-Mar-19 12:18:55

Have you googled hairstyles for very thick hair? Find one you like and get it done, with discussion at the best place possible with the remit that it needs to last as long as possible.

Then research the very best home hair colour brands, not all will produce a uniform wig look. Again, discuss this with the salon.

Don’t live hating your hair, I long for thicker hair but hey, you’ve got what you’ve got. Research and spend some money initially and you could transform your locks.

And yes to decent products and styling.

Scotstar Wed 06-Mar-19 12:24:42

Get an undercut!
I have very thick very curly hair. It was unmanageable and, after having mt son it was even more so and in poor condition.
I got an undercut and a lot of thinning and its so much more manageable! Honestly cant recommend it enough.

Scotstar Wed 06-Mar-19 12:24:44

Get an undercut!
I have very thick very curly hair. It was unmanageable and, after having mt son it was even more so and in poor condition.
I got an undercut and a lot of thinning and its so much more manageable! Honestly cant recommend it enough.

HennyPennyHorror Wed 06-Mar-19 12:28:11

An undercut wouldn't allow me to put it up....I don't feel I'd like shaved sides on show.

I have googled cuts for thick hair and tried a few...I've had some disasters. Some stylists have razor cut it which makes me look like Suzie Quatro!

motherheroic Wed 06-Mar-19 13:10:10

That's what I did 2 years ago. I have thick afro hair and couldn't get it to cooperate when I was supposed to be going to a birthday dinner. I snapped and shaved it off. I'm only just growing it back and I'm already reminded of why I got rid.

SuchAToDo Wed 06-Mar-19 13:13:42

If your hair is thick, could they maybe thin it out a good bit by cutting layers through it and then cutting it into a flattering style that suits your hair type and that you like and find manageable to style once at home?

ilovemylurcher Wed 06-Mar-19 13:21:55

Don't do anything hasty is my advice...
Also, try using intensive conditioner and leave it on for a few minutes every time you wash it (the kind of stuff you're only meant to need every week or two).
Mine has improved no end although I wish it was thicker- I think we always want what we don't have.

Beebumble2 Wed 06-Mar-19 13:32:23

I know you’ve mentioned distance and finances but - Make a special visit to a recommended salon, when you make the appointment ask for it to be cut into a layered long bob, styled for curly hair.
They will then be prepared to give the time to the styling and give you a cut that would last and still be able to be put up.
Condition is really important shampoo and conditioner that are organic will help as the chemicals in everyday products damage the hair. Using Argan and coconut oils when the hair is wet also helps, but only use a little.
Having your hair cut and styled will remove some of the damage. I use a Babyliss styling brush, although my hair is fine and curly. Wait until it is nearly dry and use the brush on small sections at a time.
Re colour- try out a lighter golden brown, it might take on the grey bits and make them look like highlights.

ineedaknittedhat Wed 06-Mar-19 14:09:42

Get a pixie cut. You can maintain it by yourself by looking at video hair tutorials online. Get the initial cut done by a hairdresser. You'll need some decent quality clippers and sharp scissors.

stevie69 Wed 06-Mar-19 14:25:16

I shave mine down to a number zero. I absolutely love it but .... it's extreme and not for everyone.

But year, if you fancy it go for it smile

hellsbellsmelons Wed 06-Mar-19 14:40:58

Well you need to get it layered - properly.
I have very thick curly hair too.
I don't dry it.
I wash it or wet it - bit of Frizz Ease and then scrunch and leave!
I'm also very grey but have been blonde for years.
As it's pretty 'in' right now, I'm actually going gradually back to grey /ash.
I'll probably hate it - but I'm willing to give it a go.
I have no doubt you've tried pretty much everything.
So not sure what else to recommend.

HollaHolla Wed 06-Mar-19 14:56:53

I have a massive amount of thick, curly, greying hair. My dad’s mixed race, and I’ve got the hair texture from my North African grandmother.
Firstly, I’d say, do NOT cut it short!
It’s taken me 40 years to get a way to deal with mine...
- warm, vegetable based dye in a tint. I’m using a dark red/brown/auburn right now. It’s lovely, shiny, and good for my skin tone. It’s a clariol one, with some brighter red flashes. DIY based.
- lots of oil used for my hair. Argan oil from family in Morocco right now. I just avoid the roots! A bit of a blow dry spray, to keep it non-mad.
- I wash it in the evening, and plait it wet. I then sleep on it, and it dries in a nice wave, instead of crazy lady frizz. Stopping heat treating my hair has made the most massive difference.
- some subtle layers around the front/face helps give a bit of ‘movement’. Don’t cut too many, as that ends up like a mushroom or triangle head!
Maybe some of these will help you. Good luck!!

user1477333978 Wed 06-Mar-19 15:01:51

You say your hair is wavy - have a look at The Curly Girl Method. There's a wavy girl off shoot too.

It's fab! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »