Talk

Advanced search

Flour mites

(57 Posts)
MumOfOne92 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:10:42

Sorry, probably doesn't belong here!

Pancake day has allowed me to find flour mites in my cupboards.. I never knew these things existed.

What are they and how on earth did they get in my cupboards 😭. I don't know what they are... I'm probably just a but naive

All gone now but I'm absolutely gutted as I'd noticed a blackish bit in my baby's formula tub a few weeks ago and once in the bottle as she was feeding - I thought it might have been something come off my sleeve! But now I've seen them I'm convinced they were what I saw in her milk.. I'll never know!

Sorry, just wanted a rant and some reassurance if a couple had found their way in to DD's milk she won't have been harmed by contamination.

Sounds silly but I absolutely balled my eyes out at the thought of it!

user1473878824 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:12:53

Weevils. They’re gross. It isn’t the end of the world but you do have to chuck EVERYTHING open and give everything a good dettol. Take everything out of the cupboard, I bet you’ll find them on the shelves, clean. Store everything in Tupperware. It’s a pain but saves ever doing this again!

IamPickleRick Tue 05-Mar-19 23:14:42

Put a Bay leaf nearby. They don’t like it.

DramaAlpaca Tue 05-Mar-19 23:15:45

Yep weevils. You need to do what user said above.

M4J4 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:18:18

Yep, we had biscuit weevils.

They often live in flour as mites so I now always put new bags of flour in freezer for 95 hours, that kills the mites.

The biscuit weevils got EVERYWHERE and we had to throw everything away. They even got into tightly closed glass jars shock. We bleach cleaned all the cupboards and surfaces.

The good thing is they are not dangerous if consumed so your DD is absolutely fine!

Actually I've seen on the internet that a lot of people eat porridge with weevils in for extra protein grin

MumOfOne92 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:19:04

@user1473878824 I've cleaned it all and chucked everything open away apart from her formula tub as this one hasn't been in the cupboard - it's been closed too! The one I think they may have got in was left accidently open all night (bleary eyed when making a bottle). I have nothing else to feed her tomorrow in the morning, do I really have to throw it away? I've inspected and there is absolutely nothing in it and it hasn't been in the cupboard!

Erghh me and mum had pancakes last week and I picked a black bit out of the batter, not once did the thought of it being a bug cross my mind! We ate those pancakes 😷🤢

DontCallMeShitley Tue 05-Mar-19 23:19:39

They are harmless. Putting flour etc. in the freezer would kill them, however I would have to throw it all away.

They usually arrive in the flour. If you are really lucky you can get a bag with lots in and watch the flour moving (then throw it away in a sealed bag, in the outside bin).

ToManderleyAgain Tue 05-Mar-19 23:20:21

Biscuit beetles? en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drugstore_beetle

MumOfOne92 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:20:33

@M4J4 it wouldn't have got through the teat of the bottle, just thinking of contamination 😷😷

onalongsabbatical Tue 05-Mar-19 23:21:22

Baby will be fine. My DH always quips, oh it's just a bit of extra protein! Honestly no harm if one or two got into the bottle.
But it seems horrible doesn't it? I keep everything in good strong plastic tubs like a pp suggested. They are just a fact of kitchens I'm sure.

MumOfOne92 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:21:51

There was only 1 moving, the rest seemed dead!

MyNameIsABCDE Tue 05-Mar-19 23:21:58

I've heard they are harmless, but you can kill them by freezing the flour

MumOfOne92 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:23:07

@onalongsabbatical hope she's not the only baby to have weevil contaminated formula. I couldn't believe my eyes!

MumOfOne92 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:24:00

@MyNameIsABCDE never thought of freezing flour until today!

UrsulaPandress Tue 05-Mar-19 23:24:39

I was munching on crunchy nut cornflakes and thought the brown bits were nuts. Until they started swimming in the milk 😱.

IamPickleRick Tue 05-Mar-19 23:25:37

We grew up on them! They are the reason I don’t eat cereal as an adult actually, I just remember them being everywhere. Never had them in any home of my own but that’s becaise I had always had a bag of Bay leaves open in the cupboard (thought I was just lucky until I read that trick).

Harmless but make your skin crawl none the less. I’d scrub the lot and start again.

M4J4 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:28:21

No contamination, they are not like flies!

The scariest was when I saw they had infiltted a glass jar of coriander seeds! Every round seed was unnaturally puffed up, as each one had a biscuit weevil inside it! shock

I lost alit of glass jars that day!

MumOfOne92 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:30:06

@UrsulaPandress oh no! 😷😷😷😷😷😷😷😷

That would scar me for life!

@IamPickleRick I've never even heard of them and feel quite disgusted that it's my fault!

MumOfOne92 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:31:59

@M4J4 So gross!

user1473878824 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:32:30

@MumOfOne92 nah you’re fine. I’d chuck it if you can get some more tomorrow. In my old flat I cooked a lot and stored everything in tall Tupperware sort of jars and wrote what it was on the lid. Weirdly having moved into my boyfriend’s a couple of years ago we’ve never had them but I’m waiting. They’re harmless but I think we can all agree we’d all rather not have the extra protein!

IamPickleRick Tue 05-Mar-19 23:33:45

It’s not your fault, the little bastards will get in anywhere. I read just now that they can bore through plastic. (Which has fucking weirded me out if I’m honest!) If you’ve caught it early, you’ll be alright. Don’t dwell on what you’ve unintentionally eaten 🙈

user1473878824 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:34:18

Oh just seems formula wasn’t in the cupboard! Take the lid off, bang it down so everything is basically flat. Can you see anything moving? It not, you’re golden.

M4J4 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:34:18

And the little buggers can FLY! 😩🦇

user1473878824 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:34:47

&M4J4 WHAT THE FUUUUUUCCCCCK

user1473878824 Tue 05-Mar-19 23:36:29

@M4J4 I was so upset I couldn’t even at you in my last post. I never minded them before this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »