Talk

Advanced search

To ask for help with fussy 14 month old

(1 Post)
AmIRightOrAMeringue Tue 05-Mar-19 21:04:50

I know compared to a lot of people's problems here this isn't a big deal, but it's doing my head in!

I have a 3.5 year old who eats reasonably well, and looking back I may have believed slightly smugly that this was something to do with me!

I also have a 14 month old who is a completely different story. She is so fussy and rejects most stuff I give her. I always made homemade stuff and mashed it by hand so I don't think she has an aversion to lumps or anything. But she won't eat any 'proper' food any more. Literally no whole food, veg or anything. Other than soft roasted sweet potato. She will also eat BLW stuff such as various fritters, savoury flapjacks, savoury muffins etc but I'm getting sick to death of making them and feel she should be eating normal food by now.

I am just getting so sick of cooking her different food to us. By this age my eldest ate whatever we were having. The only thing she will eat that we eat is the odd rice dish and mashed pasta. If I give her a whole bit of pasta it gets chucked no matter how starving she is. Everything else is a bespoke meal. She won't have pouches, jars, bread, anything potatoey, crumpets, anything quick and easy I can just give her when we're busy.

I give her stuff to try all the time and she just chucks it on the floor. I know sometimes they have to see something 15 times to try it but there are things she just looks at and throws that she must have seen 50 times. I don't make a big deal and say if you don't want it, put it to the side of your plate.

She is the same at nursery and throws most stuff away without even trying. Some days she comes back and has only eaten a few raisins.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas? Is there anything I can do to stop her getting worse as she gets older? I'm not worried about weight gain or nutrients just that she is getting more and more fussy over time and she is going to be one of those kids who only eat 3 meals on rotation and make it impossible to go out anywhere

Or do I just need to chill out and trust she will grow out of it? Thanks for reading, I know I sound a bit pathetic just feeling ill and fed up after coming home from a rubbish day at work and cleaning up a million bits of food that have been flung everywhere by a screaming baby who hasn't eaten all day

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »