Talk

Advanced search

Is it me or has shoe sizing changed?

(36 Posts)
LiveLongAndBright Tue 05-Mar-19 18:21:00

Either shoes in the U.K have been resized or my feet have shrunk!

I used to be a standard 4 (37), but these days am a 3 (36).

I know vanity sizing for clothes is a thing but has the same happened to shoes? confused

ChorleyFMcominginyourears Tue 05-Mar-19 18:54:27

I used to be a 7 and am now a 5!

Yorkshiredolls Tue 05-Mar-19 18:54:39

Another bigfoot here!! Always usually could
squeeze into a 7.5, occasionally 7. But now its size 8 or forget it. sometimes even a 9 😫 drives me round the twist because size 8s are hardly ever in stock. I hate it

LosingLola Tue 05-Mar-19 18:54:46

I've found I'm an 8 instead of a 7, so the opposite has happened!

Laniakea Tue 05-Mar-19 18:54:47

yes! I've given up trying 5s and go straight for 4.5/4 ... it's very strange!

MitziK Tue 05-Mar-19 18:54:53

There's a perception that feminine women have small, dainty feet. Not just from men, either - I was a very, very broad size 6 surrounded by females with feet from size 2 to size 4. I was made to feel like a freak, especially as my adult brothers were the same size as me, but were narrower width fittings.

And later on, an ex also said my feet weren't normal because they were so large.

I have a feeling that it's always been a thing.

ChoccyJules Tue 05-Mar-19 19:03:41

I was a 7 until childbirth, went up to a 7.5 after that. Recently I have had to buy 8 in a lot of styles, which has seems strange, interesting that others have noticed too.

GraceMarks Tue 05-Mar-19 19:06:21

MitziK size 6 isn't big, it's average! Or at least it used to be. The only woman I know with truly tiny feet is also 4'8" so everything about her is small. But yes, it's been a thing for a long time. Think of dainty Cinderella being the only woman with feet small enough to get into the glass slippers, compared with her evil sisters and their ungainly clodhoppers.

BentNeckLady Tue 05-Mar-19 19:06:24

I can be a 6,6.5 or a 7 in English sizes but I’m always a 40 in euro sizes so that’s what I check for.

AGnu Tue 05-Mar-19 19:12:20

Is there an official sign up sheet for the ex-size-3 support group? I find Skechers are quite small, or at least they were a couple of years ago when I couldn't avoid shoe shopping any longer...! It's basically impossible for me to find nice shoes with any kind of heel higher than maybe an inch if I'm lucky. Most girls' shoes are pink/flowery/glittery... I am none of those things, I just want comfortable shoes/occasionally a pair of heels!

Rubusfruticosus Tue 05-Mar-19 19:19:07

I've always been a 6.5/40.

helzapoppin2 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:23:47

I’m another that used to be 7.5 and is now an 8.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »