Talk

Advanced search

DH's eating / food weirdness

(50 Posts)
Home77 Tue 05-Mar-19 18:09:36

Getting a bit fed up with it. Doesn't eat all day, not breakfast or lunch. The hungry evenings. Sometimes eats junk, then. Complains if we eat dinner late. Fasting? Not sure.

LellowYedbetter Tue 05-Mar-19 18:11:31

Why care? Just ignore him and eat when you want to eat. He won’t starve and if he does it’s nobody else’s fault

AutumnCrow Tue 05-Mar-19 18:14:55

Is he trying to control IBS / count calories / lose weight??

recrudescence Tue 05-Mar-19 18:16:06

Have you asked why? What’s his explanation?

Wolfiefan Tue 05-Mar-19 18:44:45

Ask him? confused

Home77 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:00:48

It's to control weight I think. I do just eat whenever.

mynameiscalypso Tue 05-Mar-19 19:01:39

Eating disorder?

Orchidflower1 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:02:47

What’s he said when you’ve asked him?

Tomtontom Tue 05-Mar-19 19:07:13

What are you getting fed up with?

Home77 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:08:36

The insinuation that he is better by doing this, he doesn't have to eat every hour or two like some people (i.e. me). makes me feel like i am someone wrong by, I feel, eating normally.

Home77 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:09:15

His sister told me family all have some eating disorder, but he says not

Tomtontom Tue 05-Mar-19 19:10:13

Is he making comments about your eating habits?

Home77 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:10:29

Yes, sometimes.

FleeceDetective Tue 05-Mar-19 19:10:40

Are you/he overweight?

Home77 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:11:12

He said the comment about not having to eat every hour or two like some...also goes on about how he has got 'fat' (is not, very thin). It is annoying.

Wolfiefan Tue 05-Mar-19 19:11:13

Well you don’t need to eat every hour or two but fasting all day every day isn’t healthy either.
What does he say is his reason for this?

CurlyhairedAssassin Tue 05-Mar-19 19:11:33

I’ve got one like that. I think it’s weird and a belated rebellion against his mum who always provided 3 meals a day for all the kids whatever. So, say as an older teenager, he would be going out with his mates and say that he didn’t need any tea, she would say “oh I’ve done it now anyway, you may as well eat it” and guilt him into eating it.

My DH is really odd with takeaways. DS and I will eat ours at 7.30 or something on a Saturday. DH will eat his starter with us but put his main meal to keep warm in the oven for a couple of hours. For some reason he wants to eat a takeaway late at night on his own.

Again, the armchair psychologist in me says in a household of 8 growing up, he never got a fair share and this is him squirrelling away his curry till he can be sure no-one’s going to steal some!

It’s annouing as we will be finished, cleared up, Curry smell dissipating and ready to watch a film. And then DH will pause it later on to go and make a mess and smell in the kitchen again.

Grrr....

Yeah. They’re weird.

Wolfiefan Tue 05-Mar-19 19:11:57

He thinks he is fat but is thin?
He’s not being annoying. He clearly has issue about food.

Home77 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:12:13

he doesn't really have a reason. It's not 'health' as such, think is basically to lose / prevent weight gain.

CurlyhairedAssassin Tue 05-Mar-19 19:14:01

So, OP, look to how they “do food” in his family. Or growing up.

Home77 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:14:01

He might, but then it's annoying not to admit to it and do anything, and be in denial about other family with eating disorders. He goes running and says it is hard, (well i think you didn't eat) seemed suprised how much easier it was after had eaten at Christmas. confused You would think at his age would be more sensible

Home77 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:15:12

Big fuss over food, they love to feed others, food as a treat. many eggs at easter that kind of thing. so, you'd think they would enjoy it - strange really

CurlyhairedAssassin Tue 05-Mar-19 19:16:13

Nothing you can do. Except to make sure DC don’t pick up any odd habits from him. Model normal eating yourself.

Home77 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:17:21

Yes, I have thought that. They seem to be Ok for now.

Tomtontom Tue 05-Mar-19 19:19:02

My partner doesn't eat during the day, he's definitely not got an eating disorder.

He's at an age where weight gain can creep up on you, so he could be careful for that reason.

He shouldn't be making comments about you, but he seems to have made a general comment that you've taken to be about you.

Strikes me that you're trying to find a problem here, or that you have a problem yourself and you're deflecting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »