Talk

Advanced search

To think parenting is mostly thankless

(55 Posts)
crumpetsandacuppa Tue 05-Mar-19 17:31:59

Have only child who I love to death. Generally well behaved but at times tiring and demanding and whingy! Very happy with the one but also considering another but can't help but feel parenting is a largely thankless 'task'. AIBU to feel this way and to let this dictate whether I have a second child or not?

Jackshouse Tue 05-Mar-19 17:37:14

Some once said to me that you can’t thank or pay back parents but you pay it forward to your own children.

ScreamingValenta Tue 05-Mar-19 17:39:23

From whom are you expecting thanks?

ScreamingValenta Tue 05-Mar-19 17:52:07

Some once said to me that you can’t thank or pay back parents but you pay it forward to your own children

I don't agree - of course you can thank them, once you're old enough to appreciate what they've done for you (assuming they were good parents to you) and all being well, you can repay them when they are getting older, by treating them to things and looking after them. But it's the sort of thing you need an adult perspective to appreciate properly.

RedPanda2 Tue 05-Mar-19 17:59:06

Who do you want to thank you? Having children is optional you know!

crumpetsandacuppa Tue 05-Mar-19 18:26:38

For those of you who are saying who do you want to thank you - I'm not sure you know the complete meaning of "thankless"?!

Squeegle Tue 05-Mar-19 18:29:10

@Jackshouse; I like that. I think it’s a totally thankless task, but our children do appreciate it deep down and long after. I didn’t appreciate my own parents until I had my own. I get them much more now that my own kids are teens. I think we all understand too late- but as parents we get it because that’s what we were like with our own parents!

Loopytiles Tue 05-Mar-19 18:29:20

What age is your DC? Toddler parenting could be a drudge at times, for sure.

Are you parenting with a partner who pulls their weight? I know a few people with one DC primarily because their partner was a lazy arse.

AdultHumanCat Tue 05-Mar-19 18:32:01

I think sometimes it feels thankless, but the cuddles and bright smiles you get more than make up for it IMO.

Perhaps that will change when they've grown out of cuddles (hopefully never)?

PooleySpooley Tue 05-Mar-19 18:33:23

Parenting isn’t thankless - step parenting feels like it is atm.

user1493413286 Tue 05-Mar-19 18:35:53

I find that it can feel like that but a laugh or cuddle makes it all worth it

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 05-Mar-19 18:38:55

You’re right - toddlers and very young kids are just too young to really understand or appreciate though.
I’ve got a 3yo and a 2yo, and spend all day every day busting my proverbial balls to make sure they have everything they need, (and get very little sleep at night thanks to the 2yo) and they have absolutely zero fucks to give. Not because they are ungrateful arseholes, but because they are just too young to understand how much work goes into every day life for the average mum!

MaMisled Tue 05-Mar-19 18:56:00

If you thank them ( when they finish their meals, play nicely, hand you something when asked, anything agreeable really), they'll automatically start thanking you because you've taught them . It's nice to hear because I totally agree, it feels thankless sometimes!

crispysausagerolls Tue 05-Mar-19 19:07:44

YABU - it is hard work sometimes and it’s relentless, but every smile, laugh, cuddle etc...it all makes it more than worth it and therefore it is not thankless.

Mmmmbrekkie Tue 05-Mar-19 19:09:15

I’m guessing your child is young OP

Mine are 5 and 8. And parenting then is definitely not a “thankless” task

ShatFic Tue 05-Mar-19 19:12:29

Parenting is tough. I wouldn't have another one!

Hiddenaspie1973 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:14:16

It is largely. Like a form of self-flagellation, which is why I stuck at one.
If you want appreciation, get a dog.

teenagetantrums Tue 05-Mar-19 19:14:44

Yep it's thankless. And never gets better.

Windingstreams Tue 05-Mar-19 19:14:46

Yes we’ve stuck with one as we don’t want parenting to become our sole ‘job’ as it were. One allows you to love and get joy from your child with time for your own life too

BarbarianMum Tue 05-Mar-19 19:18:27

Sorry for you. Parenting is by far the most rewarding thing I've ever done., and that's up against a career I really love and various other adventures.

JazzerMcJazzer Tue 05-Mar-19 19:19:06

I find parenting my toddler a bit of a drudge sometimes but his very existence makes my heart fit to burst with happiness so no, I don’t think it’s thankless.

How do you feel towards your own parents?(If fortunate to still have either of them). Do you tell them that you are grateful for all they did for you?

Kismetjayn Tue 05-Mar-19 19:21:37

Yep, mostly drudge, but my kid is good, so I consider it worthwhile. Not having another one, though.

CoolJule43 Tue 05-Mar-19 19:44:54

Jackshouse

That is a lovely thought.

Vulpine Tue 05-Mar-19 19:46:57

Nah I get alot back from my kids, it's being a wife I find thankless!

Bringbackthestripes Tue 05-Mar-19 19:51:28

They didn’t ask to be born.....Why do you want them to thank you? grin
I miss my lovely little DC who used to hold my hand and tell me they loved me- now they just grunt, demand and shout. If you don’t know the meaning of thankless just wait until you have a teen!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »