Talk

Advanced search

To not replace lost school uniform

(8 Posts)
Skittlesss Tue 05-Mar-19 15:47:29

DS (6) had a new PE hoody (red with the school logo on) for school (£20), they do PE once a week and go into school in their kit for the day. After the third time wearing it he came home with another child’s hoody, so I took it back in the next day. His never turned up. I’ve not replaced it and have sent him in wearing a plain black hoody.

Every day I send him back into class if he comes out without his jumper/hoody/book bag.

I got him a new coat. Two weeks later, DH picks him up (very rare occurrence due to work) and he brings him home without the coat. Every day now I have been into class asking about the coat, we have checked KS1 lost property, KS2 lost property, the other two yr 1 classes and it’s not turned up. The teacher has been looking too, but it’s not there.

I keep telling DS to look after his stuff and he has been trying to find it. AIBU to refuse to replace items like the PE hoody? I can little afford to replace things that have only been used for a short time.

Lolwhat Tue 05-Mar-19 20:53:48

We always buy the item once a year and if they lose it they take in a cheaper version, no point in replacing when they will just lose it again

YetAnotherUser Tue 05-Mar-19 21:16:08

If my eldest loses stuff I make him pay for it out of his pocket money - he's 12 though! Incidences of loss/breakage have declined dramatically...

endofthelinefinally Tue 05-Mar-19 21:18:03

It is so annoying but theft is rife in schools. sad

ShawshanksRedemption Tue 05-Mar-19 21:43:05

Does it have your DS's name in it so others know who return it to?

Could the school send a msg home to parents of that class asking them to check if it's been taken by mistake? Or if you have a school Facebook page or WhatsApp group, ask on there.

Misty9 Tue 05-Mar-19 21:45:53

Not unreasonable at all. Dd is in reception and was insistent on having logo cardigans. We bought two and she has lost both. Supermarket cardis from now! Ds is in y2 but rarely loses things as he never takes them off! grin

tenredthings Wed 06-Mar-19 07:58:28

Write his name in indelible pen in massive letters on the inside so if someone's nicking stuff they won't take yours.

Skittlesss Wed 06-Mar-19 08:05:20

Yes, everything has his name in. Sometimes in multiple locations. They could just scribble over it I guess? I don’t know how else to make him look after his stuff. I keep reminding him every day in the hope it sinks in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »