Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask how I can improve my kitchen, with a photo.

(92 Posts)
Figaro88 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:36:55

The photo is not my actual kitchen but it is the same units and work top. 12 months ago I moved into a 2017 new build HA house before I come across as being ungrateful I am not, I am very thankful for a permanent roof over my families heads. A couple of the dc friends parents have made comments when collecting their dc from play dates/parties of "oh you live in one of the HA houses then" but only after being in the kitchen, I am now a bit self conscious about it. It has to be the kitchen as the houses all look identical from the outside. So how can I stop it screaming HA when people come into the kitchen? I am wondering if it is the anti slip plastic floor tiles like in supermarkets or the lack of cooker hood, really wish their comments didn't bother me. The tile behind the cooking area goes up to the top of the upper units. I have a 6ft 5inch long window in the kitchen as well so we get a lot of natural light coming in and the kitchen is just a kitchen dinning room is seperate so it is 3.5m×3.5m.

PlayingForKittens Tue 05-Mar-19 14:41:42

What are you and are you not permitted to do?

A cheap and easy change is door handles, you can get some lovely ones and give the kitchen a different style. Keep the old ones in a cupboard to put back if necessary.

IncrediblySadToo Tue 05-Mar-19 14:42:54

Please excuse my ignorance, but do you own it or rent it?

changed1 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:43:58

Fablon the cupboards or worktop easy to put on and remove and get some new handles

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Tue 05-Mar-19 14:45:33

Thats doesnt scream HA at me, it looks very nice (not that HA doesnt look nice). You can only personalise things, with curtains and other fripparies that can easily be taken down when the time comes. I suppose it's a shame you cant change tiles or flooring, but in the great scheme of things, does it really matter ?

Figaro88 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:45:50

I rent it from a housing association. We have been given a life tenancy after the first 12 months probation so I can pretty much make any alterations I want apart from moving gas pipes which I would never do anyway.

LadyB49 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:46:27

Gallon is definitely no easy to remove after it had been on for a while.

LadyB49 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:46:48

Oops... Fablon

SeaweedDress Tue 05-Mar-19 14:46:53

Change handles, paint cabinets?

Figaro88 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:47:32

I can change flooring, should I start there do you think? I do actually rather dislike the floor tiles reminds me of a hospital room.

Figaro88 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:49:12

I just checked the agreement and I can't paint the cabinets or move the gas pipe can make any improvements apart from that.

CatherineofTarragon1 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:49:14

I would suggest new worktops and or sink/tap if you can.

Or, replace the tiling?

It's a perfectly nice kitchen.

GemmaXOX Tue 05-Mar-19 14:49:20

Sticky Back Plastic!

www.wilko.com/en-uk/decorating-diy/sticky-back-plastic/c/501

Basically can change the colour of the units and the worktop with out painting, just stick it on and when you leave peel it off. (loads in Wilkos)

Bagpuss5 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:53:23

I think the boxy wall units give it away possibly. Now there are big full height pull out cupboards and slide out ones . Perhaps replace one or two wall cupboards with higher ones, (although you'd need steps to reach top shelf) and put shelving of some sort in place of others, or run it right along wall with some stuff eg plates, mugs and the rest nice decorative plate or pic.

tealcoat Tue 05-Mar-19 14:53:38

Pattern tiles and change the handles? Theres some really nice ones out there. Maybe carry the pattern through to the floor if you want to change that too.

Figaro88 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:54:22

I have some money that was given to me at Christmas to buy/do stuff for the house so I can make a start straight away. I think I am going to get the kitchen floor tiled as it will make a massive difference and yes I think it is those metal bars on the kitchen worktop that makes the worktop look terrible. I know the kitchen isn't bad just feel very self conscious about it now, wish people didn't get to me this way.

Whatsnewpussyhat Tue 05-Mar-19 14:55:19

It's the typical beech colour basic units that landlords seem to have fitted for the last 20 years.
My friend bought a then new build flat 15 years ago and the whole block had that same kitchen.

LindaLa Tue 05-Mar-19 14:57:51

You can change cupboard and drawer handles but a really cheap but effective trick is wallpaper.
Go to Homebase/b&q/wickes etc and tear off a cupboard size piece, pva glue it on to cupboard door.
Mix and match colours/designs, looks awesome and if HA moan at you, it's only paper.

Figaro88 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:58:10

@Bagpuss5 we actually have to full lengthy cupboards one is full shelved and the other is a mixture of shelves and pull out wire baskets. I have looked at images of kitchen online and my units seem to be missing the trim around the top and bottom. Looked on B&Q and it seems cheap enough I think that might help the boxy look.

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 05-Mar-19 15:00:58

It’s the bitchy people who came to DD’s party at fault, not your perfectly nice kitchen. Only make the changes you want to, don’t do it for other people.

Chances are they’ll move on to slagging your bathroom or something else anyway.

burritofan Tue 05-Mar-19 15:00:57

Can you paint the walls? White instead of magnolia, or a cheery daffodil yellow.

Sticky-back on the worktop & cupboards as suggested – you can make your worktop look like Carrera marble or butcher's block; cupboards could be gloss white or a colour – or tuxedo style (colour on base units, white on top). New vinyl on the floor. Change cupboard handles. Take top cupboard doors off (store them so you're not in violation of tenancy) and display crockery & plants nicely. Framed poster on the wall. New tiles.

Not suggesting you do ALL those things but a combination of little tweaks!

Figaro88 Tue 05-Mar-19 15:01:40

Does anybody know can you tile over the plastic tiles or will they need removing?

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 05-Mar-19 15:03:24

Really don’t stick paper or fablon everywhere; it never looks good.

Nellieelephant Tue 05-Mar-19 15:07:20

What about those tile stickers? If you put them on well they actually look really good and you can get all sorts! I like the Moroccan style ones but there are literally every colour and style you could think of out there.

Just a basic google search of tile stickers will bring up loads and EBay/Amazon have quite a few different styles too.

Fuzzyheadache Tue 05-Mar-19 15:07:39

Oh dear, I have the exact same kitchen, it’s not HA but I’m happy with my kitchen.

If your “friends” care where you live, they are not friends. And why would anybody even say that?

I always think a full fruit bowl, a nice plant on the windowsill with a couple of recipe books makes a kitchen homely. Who cares what the cupboards look like, they are clean no doubt!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: