Talk

Advanced search

So the devil is here tempting you. What has he in his hand?

(96 Posts)
Litluts Tue 05-Mar-19 14:29:31

Whatever it is, you better eat it quick, as it's the last you'll see of it for 40 days and 40 nights.

What are you giving up for Lent? grin

bellinisurge Tue 05-Mar-19 16:15:00

@CigarsofthePharoahs Maybe I like the misery grin. Gratuitous Father Ted quote there.
Which reminds me that dh and I need to watch the Father Ted Lenten Classic- "cigarettes , alcohol and roller blading ". I encourage everyone to seek that episode out.

BiddyPop Tue 05-Mar-19 16:20:06

Work.
Caring for others.
Laundry.
Housework.

Do any of those count?!

We're such bad catholics that, while we are managing pancakes tonight, we are eating meat tomorrow as part of a proper dinner - I had an option for fish but DH roundly shot it down....

We regularly completely forget it by accident, and there were many years when we were travelling on Good Friday as well and only remembered as we finished ham sandwiches on our lunch stop....

scaryteacher Tue 05-Mar-19 16:30:51

CigarsI'll give your chocolate malted milks a home and biscuit sit for you for Lent.

junecat Tue 05-Mar-19 16:36:50

We are so bored of giving up something at work that we are giving something instead. We've got a box for food bank and a box for the local animal shelter and we all take turns to put something in so both boxes will end up with 40 items.

VelociraptorRex Tue 05-Mar-19 16:40:58

Single use plastic - I'm not religious, but a few friends and I tried this last year as a challenge, and I'm trying to do even better this year, it's harder than I expected and there's no way I'm giving up wine and chocolate for something I don't believe in

Pk37 Tue 05-Mar-19 16:41:17

Nowt. Not religious at all

TokyoSushi Tue 05-Mar-19 16:43:10

Not giving anything up, but if I did it would be the usual, chocolate and alcohol. I might give no alcohol Monday - Friday a go!

Angeladelight Tue 05-Mar-19 16:45:03

I’ve got a craving for doughnuts today, which doesn’t happen often. Would it be unreasonable to use the excuse of lent to eat 5 doughnuts today and say I won’t have any until after Easter? I have them twice a year max. I just really fancy them today...

DontCallMeCharlotte Tue 05-Mar-19 16:46:00

de-clutter an item everyday

That's a brilliant idea! And the sentiment behind it of course.

Slowknitter Tue 05-Mar-19 16:49:33

Heathen and proud of it. Generally speaking, if something needs to be given up, it's worth giving up for good, or cutting down on for good. I've never seen why people give something up for 40 days, only to go straight back to it (probably with renewed enthusiasm!) afterwards. What's the point?

DownToTheSeaAgain Tue 05-Mar-19 16:52:41

Mumsnet.

It's going to be incredibly hard.

PeachRose Tue 05-Mar-19 16:54:51

Latte's

Annasgirl Tue 05-Mar-19 16:56:36

Either chocolate or alcohol - hard to decide but I can console myself with chocolate if I give up alcohol - doesn’t really work the other way around!!!

recrudescence Tue 05-Mar-19 16:56:46

Meat.

But I am going to cheat when my husband is at work. Sorry, God.

CryHavoc Tue 05-Mar-19 17:01:35

I am not a practicing Christian, but I went to Catholic school, and always remember a teacher lecturing my class when the usual list of chocolate/sweets/pop was given on being asked about giving something up for Lent. She told us that giving up sweet things in this case would have a benefit for us - most of the teenage girls in the class were hoping that a month without chocolate would make them lose weight - and that wasn't the point. It's about actual deprivation and sacrifice - not something that you know you should have less of anyway and will ultimately have a positive outcome for you at the end.
It stayed with me in a way that lots of teaching at that school didn't.

WhatisFreddoingnow Tue 05-Mar-19 17:28:45

I think someone has already mentioned it but the Christian sentiment of fasting for lent is about sacrifice rather than self-betterment. I'm giving up chocolate because I love having a bar of chocolate in the evenings. I'm not giving it up to lose weight.

AlmostAJillSandwich Tue 05-Mar-19 17:32:01

Mmmmm pizza and cinnamon buns

Esaworry Tue 05-Mar-19 17:33:58

I'd take the devil's hand and we would laugh together at the people giving things up for lent.

PhilomenaButterfly Tue 05-Mar-19 17:34:41

Nothing.

FrangipaniBlue Tue 05-Mar-19 17:40:26

Refined sugar

domton Tue 05-Mar-19 17:45:57

I saw a thing on Facebook, about collecting one thing each day from your house and giving to a food Bank/charity shop etc. I think I'll do something similar.

dudsville Tue 05-Mar-19 17:49:09

(oh, thank god I'm not religious - good luck to you, it's a great thing you're contemplating doing!)

dudsville Tue 05-Mar-19 17:49:26

Ps. I came for the thread title - great one!

dudsville Tue 05-Mar-19 17:50:21

(and now I've learned how to make things bold, sorry about highlighting god. Didn't mean anything by that!.)

TheLastNigel Tue 05-Mar-19 18:18:00

Just general bad eating. I've gone through one of my sod it I'll eat what I want stages-need to get back to being a bit more mindful about what I'm eating.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »