Talk

Advanced search

To ask for a 3rd medical opinion.

(8 Posts)
TornTendon Tue 05-Mar-19 13:29:03

I have had horrendous ankle pain for nearly a year. Can't walk some days. Prior to this I was fit, healthy and athletic. Did a lot of sport. No injury that I can think of.

So messed about with private physio for months. Eventually saw a GP, got referred and had an mri. Mri report came back with a badly torn tendon so consultant said he'd need to operate. The mri scans are sent out of the hospital for reporting, so outsourced I guess.

There was another comment about something weird in my bone. Which the consultant said was either a stress fracture, a bone infection or something more sinister. So he was going to ask a radiologist consultant for their input on that aspect.

I went back the following week and he to,d me the radiologist can't see a tear so he now doesn't want to operate. I said it's funny that one dr has seen a tear and one hasn't and how do we know which is right. I asked if a third person can look at it and was told no. The official diagnosis now is that I don't have a tear, he doesn't know what's wrong with my ankle and he's going to talk to an orthopedic colleague to see what they should do.

I left and realised he hadn't told me what the thing in my bone was so emailed his secretary. He's emailed me back and not answered my question but said he's referring me for a CT scan. No idea if that's for the ankle pain or the thing in my bone.

I want someone else to look at the mri images though!

Singlenotsingle Tue 05-Mar-19 13:37:17

You could have the ankle checked out privately?

Bombalarino Tue 05-Mar-19 13:41:27

But he's asked a colleague for another opinion? I'd wait and see what the CT shows, might shed a bit more light on this

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 05-Mar-19 13:45:55

CT gives different images and picks up things MRI can't so I would suspect this is the next step in working out what the problem is.

Lumene Tue 05-Mar-19 13:50:25

I would wait for CT then decide.

GregoryPeckingDuck Tue 05-Mar-19 13:51:03

I think there has been a miscommunication here. He has already instigated further diagnostic processes including seeking an additional opinion.

TornTendon Tue 05-Mar-19 14:06:40

His email said something about the scan checking for an impingement, which I thought was a bone issue? Would it show up tendon problems?

NicoAndTheNiners Tue 05-Mar-19 14:15:51

He said in the email that I don't have a torn tendon and that he trusts the second radiologist.

But I have a detailed mri report from the same hospital from only a few weeks ago talking about a longitudinal split in one tendon with fluid which indicates tendosynovitis and then a high sprain in another ligament.

My physio saw a lump in ultrasound and queried a tendon sheath tumour and I was referred on a cancer pathway. Then they said the lump was a bit of a torn tendon. Now they say I don't have a tear. So I asked what the lump was and the consultant said he can't comment on scans which weren't done in the hospital!

So now I'm worried that I may have a tumour, May have bone cancer a bone infection or a fracture and may have a torn tendon. And I haven't been able to walk down stairs for nearly a year!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: