Talk

Advanced search

Any GPs/HR people about?

(17 Posts)
jcmayj Tue 05-Mar-19 11:07:40

I have been signed off work since 27 weeks with various issues.

I'm now 30 weeks. my sick note expires in 6 days so I've been to the doctors today to ask if she can issue a new one until I'm due to go on maternity (beginning of April).

She told me that if you are signed off work after 25 weeks pregnant and not perceived to return to work then they don't keep issuing a sick note confused

I questioned this and said I was sure that this was not the case. Albeit I didn't get a new sick note and she told me to contact my HR department with this information and should they have any issues then they need to liaise with her directly.

AIBU to be confused about this? To be honest I'm stressing out about it as there's no way I can return to work sad

DonnaDarko Tue 05-Mar-19 11:12:26

I think after week 25 they can start your maternity leave early. Your company's maternity policy should mention this.

DonnaDarko Tue 05-Mar-19 11:18:38

Sorry, I might be wrong about the week number, but at a certain point you do automatically start mat leave instead of being off sick

jcmayj Tue 05-Mar-19 11:19:43

@DonnaDarko confused it was my midwife who actually asked me to get another sick note until I was 35 weeks.

Doesn't say anything in my company policy about starting it early after 25 weeks, all it says is that if you are off sick after 36 weeks maternity leave will automatically start

stopgocar Tue 05-Mar-19 11:19:55

My understanding is that you can choose to start our maternity leave at 25 weeks, but an employer cannot force you to start maternity leave if signed off sick until after 36 weeks. I was signed off from week 29 to week 34 in first pregnancy (when DC was born), didn't have to start maternity leave despite it being very clear to everyone there was no chance I'd be going back to work before the baby was born.
If you are signed off after 36 weeks it automatically triggers the start of your maternity leave.

stopgocar Tue 05-Mar-19 11:20:38

*your maternity leave

catgirl1976 Tue 05-Mar-19 11:21:12

Hr person here. If you are off sick in your last four weeks of pregnancy your employer can start you maternity leave early. (Assuming it’s not just an odd day and you are unlikely to return before your mat leave would start).

jcmayj Tue 05-Mar-19 11:23:13

Do I need to get another sick note then? I told my GP this but she was adamant, I'm very annoyed now sad wanted it sorted so I didn't have to worry about it, now it's made me feel even more anxious.

Kolo Tue 05-Mar-19 11:24:39

www.maternityaction.org.uk/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnant/sickness-during-pregnancy-and-maternity-leave/

jcmayj Tue 05-Mar-19 11:27:05

@Kolo I've read this, doesn't really explain my situation.

I'm already aware that maternity leave starts automatically at 36 weeks until off sick, I was due to go off at 35 weeks anyway

Just don't know what to do inbetween that then

jcmayj Tue 05-Mar-19 11:27:17

*time

Thisisthelaststraw Tue 05-Mar-19 11:31:22

I’m in Ireland so probably different and therefore not much help to you unless you’re here too. Just wanted to say it’s shit and yanbu. Hope your doctor is wrong and you get it sorted out soon.

I thought maternity leave was for breastfeeding and bonding with baby. It makes no sense to use maternity leave for sick leave when the reason you’re off work is illness/injury and not pregnancy even though may be pregnancy related. Pregnancy is not an illness so you’re not on maternity leave. You’re sick.

The only time I’ve heard of maternity leave starting early was in prem deliveries or sad circumstances after 24 weeks gestation as the baby has been born.

Kolo Tue 05-Mar-19 11:35:33

@jcmayj sorry, I probably should have written something too! Was posting that as a pp had said employers can’t force mat leave until 4 weeks before due date and any sick leave before that should be treated exactly as any sickness under the company policy. The information in that link backs that up. So until 34 weeks you should act under normal sickness policy. If that involves having a GP note, then that’s what you should have.

Kolo Tue 05-Mar-19 11:36:13

So basically, your employer could start your mat leave at 34 weeks if you’re off sick at that point. But not before.

jcmayj Tue 05-Mar-19 11:36:49

@Kolo thank you smile I thought this was the case so I've no idea why she hasn't given me one!

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 05-Mar-19 11:49:04

Can you contact your go surgery and discuss your situation with the practice manager?

jcmayj Tue 05-Mar-19 11:58:09

@Mummyoflittledragon I've booked into see my midwife who visits the practice once a week tomorrow. I'm hoping she will shed some light on it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: