Talk

Advanced search

To not cook pancakes for breakfast?

(197 Posts)
user1474894224 Tue 05-Mar-19 07:15:06

My 7 year old was nearly in tears that mum isn't doing pancakes for breakfast on pancake Day. Am I a selfish cow? (They can have them tomorrow night....tonight is parents evening, swimming, and fitness class). Unless Dad will cook them for the kids later on.....

Kerberos Tue 05-Mar-19 07:16:46

Why not?

Divgirl2 Tue 05-Mar-19 07:17:18

Oops - you just reminded me. No pancakes in this house (but you're not BU, pancakes aren't really weekday breakfast food).

heavenlypink Tue 05-Mar-19 07:17:29

Ready made pancakes are your friend here ...... or am I just lazy blush

Sirzy Tue 05-Mar-19 07:18:58

Do you have time to? It doesn’t take that long to do a bit of batter and cook a couple so if I could I would.

There again pancakes are our daily breakfast of choice for autistic ds so I am used to making them

3out Tue 05-Mar-19 07:19:05

We always had them in the evening as a child. You’re not BU. Tell her that when Pancake Day falls on a Saturday you’ll def make them for breakfast.

FissionChip5 Tue 05-Mar-19 07:20:31

I do think it’s a bit mean not to make them for breakfast if that’s what the child wants, they get excited by such days.

notacooldad Tue 05-Mar-19 07:21:26

It's up to you but I always enjoyed having them for breakfast once a year when the kid were young.
Dp was in charge of tea and would make pancakes again and would act suprisd when the kids revealed they had them for breakfast as well!!
It was always fun!

SewButtons Tue 05-Mar-19 07:21:31

No, we never had pancakes for breakfast growing up. Always for pudding after dinner.
The two I nanny for will have regular breakfast (unless their dad has bought the ready made kind after I left yesterday) and I’ll make savoury crepes with them for dinner and planning banana and choc chip pancakes for pudding.

PixiKitKat Tue 05-Mar-19 07:22:31

I don't remember my parents ever making us pancakes as children. I also don't do them for breakfast, I have them for tea or lunch.

GerryblewuptheER Tue 05-Mar-19 07:22:43

Well I did mine this morning as I wont have time later but it also wouldn't have hurt them to wait one more day when you can all enjoy them together. Getting upset over pancakes is a tad dramatic and I'd not be doing them for a kid who made so much fuss over it tbh

Billballbaggins Tue 05-Mar-19 07:23:20

I just bought some ready made ones, it’s one breakfast a year and they want to feel involved with the pancake day thing. It’s up to you obviously but I’d make them some.

BlackCatSleeping Tue 05-Mar-19 07:23:52

We're having them after school with loads of toppings. Weekday mornings are too stressful.

Bibijayne Tue 05-Mar-19 07:24:06

@3out

"We always had them in the evening as a child. You’re not BU. Tell her that when Pancake Day falls on a Saturday you’ll def make them for breakfast."

Inspired! Bet the kids don't twig straight away that pancake Day is always on a Tuesday! grin

Birdsgottafly Tue 05-Mar-19 07:25:41

Why bother tomorrow night? It's like having Halloween a day late.

If you had time, then it would have been nice to have them for breakfast.

Surely you will eat tonight, why can't you do pancakes confused

BlackCatSleeping Tue 05-Mar-19 07:26:55

Jamie Oliver does a really easy pancake recipe.

One mug of self-raising flour, one mug of milk, one egg and a pinch of salt. Mix it together and you're done.

If time was tight and your daughter is insistent. She could prepare the mixture herself and you just fry them up.

Birdsgottafly Tue 05-Mar-19 07:27:27

I don't understand why you do pancakes, if you aren't talking about Shrove Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, Lent and Easter.

I'm not religious, but I've told my GD about Shrove Tuesday (I babysit).

fleshmarketclose Tue 05-Mar-19 07:28:00

I make them before they get up and then just warm them in a pan.Pancake day is exciting when you are small and it's such a small effort to make them happy so I would do it especially if there is no time for pancakes later.

CarpetGate Tue 05-Mar-19 07:31:40

It only takes 10 mins - 150 g plain flour, 300 ml milk, 2 eggs. Bob's your uncle. Your poor kids!

WinterHeatWave Tue 05-Mar-19 07:32:01

I do pancakes for a weekend breakfast quite often. There is no way I'd be making them before school.
We are, however, having pancakes later. Cant decide if they should be straight after school, or for pudding (I know the kids aren't keen on the stew that is arriving for dinner tonight....)

CarpetGate Tue 05-Mar-19 07:32:43

In fact, you spent the time posting on Mumsnet to bitch about your child instead. You could have made the pancakes instead.

RhiWrites Tue 05-Mar-19 07:35:21

Come on, now. The OP would have taken perhaps 30 seconds to post here. It takes longer than that to make pancakes.

Pocketfull Tue 05-Mar-19 07:37:12

I can’t stand the crepe ones so I make the American version, we had them last night as I find it a faff and DC was asking for ‘cakecakes’. They’ll be having them at nursery today though.

goldengummybear Tue 05-Mar-19 07:38:10

In your shoes I would have done pancakes this morning rather than tonight. What are you eating tonight? Does it take longer than pancakes? Could you get her a pack of ready made for later?

I'm usually pretty lazy but pancakes on birthdays, Xmas and Pancake Day is the law in this house and the kids really look forward to it.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 05-Mar-19 07:39:47

Didn’t even realise it was Fat Tuesday until this thread! Oops!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »