Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off that someone stole my towel?

(40 Posts)
TinselAndKnickers Mon 04-Mar-19 22:03:20

I went swimming this evening - came to the pool, put my towel on the hooks, had a shower and then I got in. Lots of men are normally in the hot tub and watch you (gross in itself) get in and out of the pool, so I didn't think anything of it.

One particular man, waited for me to get into the far end of the pool and then got up, stole my bright pink towel and then dashed into the changing rooms! I obviously can't go in to the men's so had to locate a member of staff which took around 10 minutes, by which point the man had gone. So I'm pissed off about my nice fluffy towel being stolen, but this next bit is what really wound me up.

The member of staff (a lad in his 20s) checked the changing room and then came back with a soaking wet, faded red towel with stains and holes in it. And said it must be this, I said no it isn't, he said oh well do you want this one then as there's no pink ones in there. I said "I don't really want to use a used, dirty towel that's not mine but I just thought I'd let you know people are stealing and you should probably have someone on duty in the pool area. He said oh well, and shrugged his shoulders!! Another lady overheard and said her towel was also gone, and he said "the only option is to share this one I'm afraid, we don't have spares" and handed it to the other lady then left. Manager at the desk did not care when I then told them.

How disgusting - not only for some random man to steal a towel, but also for the member of staff to offer me a minging old soaking wet towel?!grinangry AIBU to be feeling like a stroppy madam?

Disclaimer: I was not stroppy and rude to the staff member. I am just sulking privately here. Also was not expecting a bright white new towel. Just for him to not be an arse!!

AuntVanya Mon 04-Mar-19 22:11:09

Their customer service is lacking.... but I wouldn't leave anything unattended at a pool. My son had some diving toys stolen- he'd just put them on the side while he did something else, they had his name scrawled over them in Sharpie.. someone nicked them.
It's a shame but you just can't leave things unattended any more. If you see the suspect again, point him out to staff or your friends. Make him feel uncomfortable.

TinselAndKnickers Mon 04-Mar-19 22:13:20

It's normally fine - they tell you off if you don't have a towel on the hooks and then you soak the changing room sad I will definitely be doing that though - that's a shame about your son's toys. Although they are more enticing than a bloody towel! grin

Rtmhwales Mon 04-Mar-19 22:15:06

I'm cringing imagining what he's doing with that towel now. There's a reason he took it.

Can you switch pools? I'd leave your towel in the change room in the future to avoid this.

BlimeyCalmDown Mon 04-Mar-19 22:18:20

surely they could see who was in the gym at the time if you have to swipe in, they could have found out who it was. I'd complain formally.

RandomMess Mon 04-Mar-19 22:20:03

🤮

You being offered his wank towel and him taking yours to use as his next one!!!

TinselAndKnickers Mon 04-Mar-19 22:31:15

It's the fact he specially waited for the right towel to take.. yuck. I wouldn't have wanted it back anyway but the fact the guy who 'helped' was like oh well and the manager didn't give a rats arse.. I think I will need to complain to head office.

oldowlgirl Mon 04-Mar-19 22:41:16

I'd complain - the man was a fucker but the staff were out of order & definitely should have been more helpful.

Magicstar1 Mon 04-Mar-19 22:41:47

I’d have followed him in and demanded it back

YourSarcasmIsDripping Mon 04-Mar-19 22:44:49

I'd be more pissed off about the staff's reaction than my towel being stolen. But then again I don't take the nice ones swimming.

Hanumantelpiece Mon 04-Mar-19 22:46:15

Not only would I have complained loudly I'd also be raising this on their twitter/other social media.
If they want you to have a towel at hand then they should be more helpful when there is blatant theft. If they don't want theft then they need to ensure people know to use the lockers.

BusySnipingOnCallOfDuty Mon 04-Mar-19 22:47:33

Surely they would be able to find him on camera doing that. Then the least they can do is see if hes a member (write him a letter about it) or talk to him when he comes back. That's gross.

AuditAngel Mon 04-Mar-19 22:48:00

I also would have marched into the men’s changing room, apologising, but demanding my towel. Wait for a member of staff? Not likely

TinselAndKnickers Mon 04-Mar-19 22:51:25

Sarcasm - yeah that's exactly it, I'm more annoyed about the arsey attitude of the staff member. My towel wasn't particularly nice but compared to their gross substitute it was soft and nice and lovely! grin bloody morons.

elephantoverthehill Mon 04-Mar-19 22:51:37

Very annoying I agree but an ex boss had all his clothes, car keys and car stolen from a swimming pool changing room locker. Still it was nice to picture him having to use the pool phone to phone his wife to rescue him

Dreamzcancometrue Mon 04-Mar-19 22:53:20

Sorry but I found this hilarious! Sorry that you had to experience this but its something that can be replaced.

NoShitHemlock Mon 04-Mar-19 22:53:27

Cheeky bastard. I am a myopic little barrel (swimming would mean no specs) but I would absolutely have followed him in like PP above. Bet their attendant would have done a better job then! (tho probably not for me - chances are I would have got thrown out in my swimsuit, swearing and generally causing a loud and obnoxious commotion).

Sod him - if it means that much let him keep it. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that he puts it in with a white wash and dyes his shirts and underwear pink........

TinselAndKnickers Mon 04-Mar-19 22:56:07

grin RIP to my towel. I am also hoping he dyes all his y-fronts pink.

Dreamz I would find it funny if it was an accident but the fact he watched and waited for a chance to steal MY towel makes me feel so gross!! And also the staff member was an arsehole so I'm sulking for now 😋

Grumpelstilskin Mon 04-Mar-19 23:00:11

See, I would have marched straight away into the men's changing room and ripped it out of his greedy hands. But then, I am a gobby moo grin

HennyPennyHorror Mon 04-Mar-19 23:02:31

I would ask if they have security footage and take this further. Not due to the loss of a towel but due to the fact that there's a pervert intent on stealing women's towels!

Speak to management and demand to see the footage AND call the police about it...on the non emergency number.

Dreamzcancometrue Mon 04-Mar-19 23:09:48

Henny

What makes you think the police would even care about a lost towel?

snowflakesnow Mon 04-Mar-19 23:15:50

How did you get dry in the end

HeronLanyon Mon 04-Mar-19 23:20:51

There are many reasons I loathe public swimming pools (brought up
Swimming all the time by a swimming/scuba dad). You’ve given me at least three more !! Shudder. Good luck next time op. I too would have been upset at general non understanding but he was only young lad I guess.

AlexaAmbidextra Mon 04-Mar-19 23:26:19

Sorry but I found this hilarious

You’re very easily amused.. hmm

HennyPennyHorror Mon 04-Mar-19 23:29:52

Dreams I said clearly that it's not about the towel but about a man who is getting a kick out of women's clothing or accessories. It's like men who take underwear from washing lines.

I'd inform the police simply so if the man comes back and repeats this, then they have a record and the footage.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »