Talk

Advanced search

Neighbor complained about water going down shared entry

(40 Posts)
HaileyW Mon 04-Mar-19 21:43:32

I jet washed my garden over the weekend and the water went down the shared entry between my house and my neighbors. I tried to get rid of all possible bits of dirt by spraying more water down and sweeping it out of the door at the bottom. My neighbor always blocks the entrance, usually with his clean washing on a clothes horse but towards the end he has a lot of beams of wood and a giant box. God knows what is in it.

I swept away as much as I could and thought that was it.

Tonight he knocks on my door to talk about my 'hosing habits' (bare in mind I do this once a year). He has asked that i don't put water down the entry as it is getting his wood wet. When I asked him if that meant my daughter couldn't have a pool out in the summer he said 'can't you get rid of the water another way' and suggested I also didn't clean my garden or aim the jet wash in another direction.

I apologised as he said a bit went into his garden (I did check to make sure it hadn't, and I also checked his washing wasn't in the entrance) but I stood my ground as surely I am entitled to clean my garden and let some water drain down the entry as long as I clean it up after.

I told him maybe he shouldn't use the entrance to store things and also pointed out that I am unable to use it due to this. We went back and forth neither backing down. It ended with no conclusion. I immediately informed my landlord incase my neighbor tries to contact him.

Am I in the wrong, because I don't think that I am? What should I do about it?

Pinkywoo Mon 04-Mar-19 21:44:56

I think we need a diagram.

ThatsWotSheSaid Mon 04-Mar-19 21:45:41

And you need to look in the box

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 04-Mar-19 21:46:53

If it's a shared entry passage, he shouldn't be blocking it or using it for storage

RobinHumphries Mon 04-Mar-19 21:48:32

How do you wash a garden?

HaileyW Mon 04-Mar-19 21:52:26

I dont wanna draw a diagram 😂
I jet wash the slabs. The water runs down the entry.
And i would look in the box but his clothes are blocking it again.
I didn't think he should be blocking it as surely its another exit out if there is a fire and we can't get to the front door.

sonjadog Mon 04-Mar-19 21:54:41

I would do nothing. You aren't doing anything unreasonable by the sound of it. Just get on about your business and ignore your fussy neighbour.

HaileyW Mon 04-Mar-19 21:55:01

I actually drew a diagram but don't no how to upload it 😂🙈

HaileyW Mon 04-Mar-19 21:57:09

Sonjadog
Thats what I thought. Just got me a bit wound up that he had the audacity to ask me and expected me to agree.

Pigletthedog Mon 04-Mar-19 22:13:52

Waaaay too many innuendos in this post

ApolloandDaphne Mon 04-Mar-19 22:16:32

This is all a bit too 'ooh, err' for me! blush

DoneLikeAKipper Mon 04-Mar-19 22:18:34

What a carry on. Not sure which one though.

Angie169 Mon 04-Mar-19 22:25:33

We need to see the diagram , take a pic of it on your phone , and either connect your phone to laptop and up load your pic into the laptops photo files or a much easier way find this thread on your phone write your post and tap the paper clip icon and your phone should then open its camera app , take a pic and attach to your post .

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 04-Mar-19 22:27:07

Does he cry when it rains too?

Cherrysoup Mon 04-Mar-19 22:34:08

Does he own? Our neighbour blocked the mutual alley-used for putting out bins/moving garden rubbish and was fortunately reasonable when spoken to. Your neighbour needs to move his shite to allow you access. Start climbing over all the crap! How do get garden rubbish out?

DontGoogleBlueWaffle Mon 04-Mar-19 22:38:56

Getting his wood wet 😊 I'm so immature

Janedoughnut Tue 05-Mar-19 09:27:10

hosing habits grin

QuirkyQuark Tue 05-Mar-19 09:35:08

What happens when you have an almighty downpour of rain? Does he have some kind of Wimbledonesque motorised canopy that goes over his wood?

HaileyW Tue 05-Mar-19 09:39:00

Literally guys I am just telling it how it happened 😂 he's an odd guy! I mentioned the rain and he seemed to think the rain doesn't pour down the entry.

SuddenlyISee Tue 05-Mar-19 09:42:28

My neighbour was the same when we used to empty the paddling pool last summer as it was flooding their pet rabbits blush not sure what the solution is really...

MyDcAreMarvel Tue 05-Mar-19 09:44:09

The entry will belong to one house and the other person will have right if access. Ask your landlord which house boundary it falls under.

MyDcAreMarvel Tue 05-Mar-19 09:44:20

*off

HaileyW Tue 05-Mar-19 09:46:48

Oh ok I didn't no one house owned it. You watch my luck it will be his 🤦🏼‍♀️ if it is his does this mean I have to build a dam to stop water going down the entry?

CuriousaboutSamphire Tue 05-Mar-19 09:54:40

I told him maybe he shouldn't use the entrance to store things and also pointed out that I am unable to use it due to this That is the most salient point. He is using a communal area as his own, he can't do that! Crack on with your hosepipe!

HaileyW Tue 05-Mar-19 09:59:18

I think he does see it as his entrance. I am just going to carry on as I normally would and let him be a moaning neighbor. Definitely going to be having many paddling pools in the summer now 🙈

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »