Talk

Advanced search

Mother's Day

(25 Posts)
ZippyBungleandGeorge Mon 04-Mar-19 18:25:52

This year is my first, I'm not expecting anything extravagant it's not my style, but I'm leaving it to DH, I was thinking just a nice day the three of us, even a walk would be fine. But what happens with my DM and his (DH is an only child)? DH isn't organised enough to have thought that broadly. Last year we were the only couple without children, including DB and SIL so we hosted them all and I cooked a big roast, I was happy to do so, but this year is a bit different. What do other people do?

PooleySpooley Mon 04-Mar-19 18:27:44

Nothing grin

ny20005 Mon 04-Mar-19 18:31:46

My dh doesn't rate any of these days so doesn't expect anything for Father's Day & doesn't do anything for Mother's Day - for me or his mum

Maybe his mum or yours could have a word with him & see what he's planning ?

PooleySpooley Mon 04-Mar-19 18:33:14

My children did stuff for me as thet got older.

Birdsgottafly Mon 04-Mar-19 18:40:21

We all went to my Mum's, my Nan went and my Mum cooked a dinner.

I know people who alternate lunch and dinner with each Mum.

BackforGood Mon 04-Mar-19 18:43:03

When my Mum was alive, I used to take her round some daffs and / or some chocs at some point during the day, but we've never made a big 'thing' of Mothers Day.
dh rarely gets his Mum anything.
dh didn't do anything for Mothers Day for me, as I'm not his Mother. When the dc start attending playgroups and the like, then they start making you cards.

meepmoop Mon 04-Mar-19 18:44:25

We're going out for a Mother's Day set meal with DH's family with our little one on the actual day. I'll take my mum out for lunch on the Saturday

TitusAndromedom Mon 04-Mar-19 18:45:24

We usually have a meal with my husband’s mum and sister on the Saturday and then spend Mother’s Day itself on our own. It means we never have to worry about being able to book a table. My own mum died many years ago and my dad and stepmum are in a different country, so we don’t have to worry about appeasing two families.

AmIIntrouble Mon 04-Mar-19 18:46:46

Mother's day is all about my own mother, even though I am a mother of three LOs myself.

TitusAndromedom Mon 04-Mar-19 18:49:57

Also, this is tangential, but I hate the idea that I have to go unrecognised as a mother until my children are old enough to do so myself. I have three year old twins and a 10 week old. These are hard times! My husband will take the twins out to choose cards and he will arrange a gift or some flowers because, although I’m not his mum, he wants to show me that I’m appreciated. I’ll do similar for Father’s Day. I know that other people do it differently, but it’s absolutely fine for you to feel that you want Mother’s Day to be a bit special now that you are a mother.

TeenTimesTwo Mon 04-Mar-19 18:53:04

I think you need to discuss with your DH so that you don't end up feeling overlooked or neglected. Be clear.

We usually send my DM flowers and a card and phone on the day.

My DDs are adopted and I often spend MD feeling pretty conflicted for various reasons. This year I am thinking of driving to see DM so I can avoid it.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Mon 04-Mar-19 19:36:11

I like the idea of lunch or something on the Saturday leaving Sunday free for me DS and DH ,I didn't want to mention it, I know he will do something for me and didn't want to seem pushy, I'm a bit of a planner so he doesn't often get a look in for other events, but always does well on my birthday.
Looks like I'll have to bring it up. Thanks all interesting to hear what others do

starshollow1 Mon 04-Mar-19 19:41:09

"dh didn't do anything for Mothers Day for me, as I'm not his Mother." hmm

I think Saturday with your DM and DMIL is a great plan OP

Huntawaymama Mon 04-Mar-19 19:46:38

It's usually lambing time here (were farmers) which means we don't see mil (she's a farmer to), I see my mum at some point that week but the Sunday dd and I help in the lambing shed and I make a nice roast dinner. Husband and dd usually make me a card. Mil will get some chocs when we've all got a chance to see each other

Stompythedinosaur Mon 04-Mar-19 19:53:52

We go for a meal with dm and dmil. I think it is a day to share with all the mums!

Mintypea5 Mon 04-Mar-19 19:59:48

My DH gets me a card from the kids (my eldest is 7 this year so often makes me something too)

We go to MiL got dubday rissr as normal and o give my mum a card and malteasers (her faves)

Tbh it’s nice to get a card but we don’t do a massive fuss like gifts and days out

BabyDarlingDollfaceHoney Mon 04-Mar-19 20:03:13

Luckily me and my husband and our baby will be on a mini break with my parents so we'll be together. My husband has siblings so hopefully they'll look after his mum on the day and we'll probably go and see her the following week or something.

Spiderbanana Mon 04-Mar-19 20:03:36

The kids usually make a card in kindergarten / school and that is it for us.

I send flowers to my mum. DH sends his mum a Whatsapp message.

PosiePerkinandPootle Mon 04-Mar-19 20:33:12

When they were alive we'd take DM and DMil out either the day or even week before after a really bad experience of a Mother's Day set menu at a carvery type place that was sooo busy and the food and service were crap. They always seemed happy enough with some chocs or daffs, a card and a couple of drawings from the kids. That left the day free for us to go out as a family. It's a bittersweet day since they both died, if the kids ask what I'd like I usually say breakfast in bed, extra cuddles, for us to do something together like a big walk, all hands on deck to do a Sunday roast (or a takeaway)

BlueMerchant Mon 04-Mar-19 20:40:30

I get my card and gift from dc then we all go and visit mil for an hour(lives in same village) go home for lunch then either visit or call my mum.I often give mum her card/present a few days in advance as she lives further away but we make a fuss of her the day we visit.

OKBobble Mon 04-Mar-19 20:43:40

As adult children we send our mums a card and that is it. As a mother of minor children it is a day we spend as a family with me being Mum being treated.

twooutofthreeaintbad Mon 04-Mar-19 20:46:01

Gosh some people's DP/DH are miserable gits!
It may well all be yet another day for shops/businesses to make money but to us it's about appreciating the mothers in our lives. I get treated by my DH on behalf of our babies and we treat mine and his mothers to show our appreciation. Same for Father's Day, I love to make my dad and my DH feel special

jelliebelly Mon 04-Mar-19 21:03:05

When the dc were little we hosted both mums at ours and dh cooked a roast for all. Now they are 10 and 13 I will be taking one to play rugby in the morning and the other to a friends house for a party later after on!

HelenaJustina Mon 04-Mar-19 21:09:23

I’m low maintenance on Mother’s Day. Some Cadbury’s chocolate and a couple of bunches of daffodils, plus the handmade cards they’ll make in school.

DH will sort a card and probably flowers for his Mum and make sure he sees her at some point that day. I’ll get my Mum a card and a small present and see her at some point over the weekend - but I’ve got siblings who still live at home so they can do the heavy lifting on the day itself!

Upsy1981 Mon 04-Mar-19 21:32:29

My DH is away that weekend with his hobby. I was planning on hosting a meal for DM and the ILs but I won't now because even though DH will arrive home early afternoon, he will undoubtedly be shattered and will fall asleep! I often host mothers day but I enjoy cooking though so even though it makes for a busy day, I'm spending it pottering in the kitchen. Luckily DD is 12 and us old enough to bring me breakfast in bed and sort a card and present. And we'll have a lovely day and call in on the important people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: