Talk

Advanced search

World book day... To buy dd yet another costume

(16 Posts)
Coffeeandcrumpets Mon 04-Mar-19 17:21:28

Hi!! As you all know, world book day is this week. I suggested to my dd that she goes as hermonie grainger like last year. She was quite happy with this initially.
She has now changed her mind and asked if she can go as gangster granny. This means me going out to buy yet another costume that will just hang in the wardrobe for another 12 months and may not get used again.
I'm not great with a needle and thread, so don't think I can produce a GG outfit myself. She has offered to spend her left over Xmas money on a GG outfit, but I was hoping she would spend it on something more worthwhile and that would be used more than once.
Would you:
a, insist that she wears hermonie grainger.
B, begrudgingly agree to GG outfit but ask her to pay.
C, begrudgingly agree to GG outfit but pay myself as I feel as it is a parents place to cover the costs.
She is 10 BTW.
We could afford the outfit, but its more the principle of buying something to be hardly used.
Tia

HappyPunky Mon 04-Mar-19 17:24:33

I would buy it but on the condition she goes as zombie gangster granny at Halloween

KrazyKatlady Mon 04-Mar-19 17:25:50

For gangsta granny I would be tempted to go to a charity shop and buy a cardigan and scarf and wear with a school skirt.Then donate the frumpy items back? Maybe talc/white hairspray to grey the hair. or C. and try to sell the costume to another harrassed parent next year?

Chilledout11 Mon 04-Mar-19 17:26:54

I would do a charity shop version too.

Mammylamb Mon 04-Mar-19 17:29:33

Sell last years costume on a local Facebook group and buy her the gangster granny one. Sell that next year

Whatsername7 Mon 04-Mar-19 17:32:02

Ive done C. Drives me mad too. Although I have a younger dd who will benefit.

strangerthongs Mon 04-Mar-19 17:32:03

my DD wants to go as chloe from the dork diaries as apparently she just wears normal clothes. But my worry is that no one will know who she is meant to be. How do you do a dork diaries costume?

Last year we did mary poppins which was really easy with a blue shirt, black skirt and a brolly

Atalune Mon 04-Mar-19 17:32:58

Surely you just cobble something together from the things you have already?

Gangster Grannie is very easy to cobble!

Atalune Mon 04-Mar-19 17:35:45

Dd- awful auntie-
Crazy hair and a winter hat
Pipe
Brown trousers tucked into socks
Tweed suit jacket borrowed from a brother.

Ds
A super hero boy- can’t remember the character name!
Blue t-short with gold stars stuck on
Cape- made at the weekend from a curtian
Jeans and a hoodie.

Coffeeandcrumpets Mon 04-Mar-19 17:38:49

Thanks for all your replies. Yes. I'm thinking charity shop is a good idea so far.

Hollowvictory Mon 04-Mar-19 17:41:42

Charity shop or some of my stuff. Lots of kids at school wear their mums stuff fir gangster granny so need to buy anything

EyesAreNeverClosing Mon 04-Mar-19 17:42:49

As you've said you can afford it, I would just buy it if I were you. It's a bit of fun and as she's 10, this may be your last one or maybe only one more to dress up for. Any dress up days at secondary are ignored by most kids if they have any at all.

Chilledout11 Mon 04-Mar-19 17:46:03

Great idea to sell the other one. Someone will be glad to buy one last minute

CheerfulMuddler Mon 04-Mar-19 18:16:34

Talc in her hair. Draw on some wrinkles. Her own dress, an old cardigan, a bin bag stuffed with old clothes labelled SWAG.
Job's a good'un.

CheerfulMuddler Mon 04-Mar-19 18:19:52

You should see what my ds is wearing. It's the most cobbled-together shite you can imagine (down to a printed-out mask from the internet that he's coloured in himself - he's 3), but he's thrilled to bits with it and it's his favourite book character (apparently) so - eh.

Trillis Mon 04-Mar-19 20:48:42

My 12 year old DD is set on an outfit that includes something like a leather (look) biker jacket.

I have really tried to persuade her to go as Tiffany Aching like last year, for which she has a great, (mostly) home made outfit.

She has rejected her brothers leather-look jacket as being too 'manly' (although I really thought it looked great) and is now talking about buying one with her own money that she promises she will wear lots afterwards. She has almost never been known to wear a coat of any sort, no matter what the weather, so I very much doubt this will happen. She has ASD/PDA so I try very carefully to pick my battles, but I hate the thought of her spending £30-£40 or so - minimum - on something that is likely to be worn only once sad

But in year 7, and still struggling to settle in and make friends, she is determined to have an outfit that won't make her feel 'stupid'.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »